Xpress logs his flights, and other nonsense

Discussion in 'Circus Flight Log' started by Xpress.., Jul 22, 2015.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating using the link above.
  1. May 15, 2017 #221

Xpress..

Xpress..

Xpress..

Hitec Sales

What a crazy weekend. First it started out with me having this small window to fly on Saturday before I had to help my parents finish with their home remodel, so I strolled by my old club which is only 15 minutes away. I figured I could get probably 1-2 flights in before I had to head back home, well I show up to the club and was promptly informed by the club Secretary that the President has ordered all past members be forbidden from flying at the club anymore :shocked: Said something about me being associated with someone else, but the President would never speak directly to me so I couldn't get a clear answer.

Well I left and headed home and helped my parents reorganize their home for most of the day before finally getting done late afternoon. Some shop time was needed so I decided to hook up the throttle linkage on my Pilot Edge. Just need to mount the ignition and bolt the prop on and I can test fire it!!

Sunday rolls in and I had another window to go fly before mom woke up so I headed down to my home club and got 2 solid flights in on the Extra, ZDZ180 ran flawlessly. I love flying this airplane, it's so big and floaty, completely locked in.

Attached Files:

2. May 22, 2017 #222

Xpress..

Xpress..

Xpress..

Hitec Sales

Another weekend of shenanigans. Since my van was down, the Extra was out of the question for flying (doesn't fit in a Toyota highlander) so the Yak was on deck so to speak ;)

I noticed the covering was peeling really bad on the bottom of the airplane after flying on Saturday so some repairs were in order, since I didn't have any silver to match the scheme, out came the black. I have already repaired this area of the airplane a number of times so this time I used a little bit of medium CA dappled around the edges to hopefully seal it to the airplane permanently. This poor airplane has taken so much abuse over the last 2 years so it's no beauty queen. After flying it on Saturday I also realized the CG was too far back so I shifted my flight packs forward of the CG a few inches. The last thing I did was redid the vent line plumbing since it would interfere with where the rx packs are right now.

2 more flights on Sunday proved the CG change was dead on, airplane tracks SO much better and holds knife edge hands off now. I might still eliminate the ignition pack in favor of a Tech Aero IBEC, we'll see after a few more flights. Next up is to fix the wheel spats since they're loose.

Attached Files:

3. May 24, 2017 #223

Xpress..

Xpress..

Xpress..

Hitec Sales

Well I managed to get more work done to the Edge yesterday, at this point I just need to slap some good wheels on it and the right prop and it'll be airborne. Cowl cut and clearanced, CG checked, batteries mounted.

Attached Files:

4. May 25, 2017 #224

Angie

Angie

Angie

Staff Member Admin Moderator

That's looking great. Do you even allow finger prints on that slick paint job?

5. May 25, 2017 #225

Xpress..

Xpress..

Xpress..

Hitec Sales

No :thumbsup:

Windex and shop towels take everything right off these airplanes.

6. May 31, 2017 #226

Xpress..

Xpress..

Xpress..

Hitec Sales

Slapped the wheels and wheel pants on the Edge last night. Went with the old reliable DuBro treadlight wheels and stock PRC axles. These will work until I decided to get something blingy like White Rose. Also slapped my PureTech straps around the batteries, Dwayne makes a real high quality product so I recommend his stuff for anything you need strapped down. The best part is they are made right here in the USA :thumbsup:

I also ordered a load of bonded washers from RTL Fasteners. I purchase all of my hardware needs from RTL, I highly recommend them!!!

Last thing I need for this beast is a propeller- I am going to go with a Falcon 27x11.

Attached Files:

7. Jun 9, 2017 #227

Xpress..

Xpress..

Xpress..

Hitec Sales

Noticed the water pump was leaking a good amount on our boat this last weekend, so I thought it'd be a great idea to replace the water pump!

After replacing the spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, ignition coil, fuel pump, and alternator, I realized what a mistake that was :rolleyes2: I still haven't even replace the water pump yet because I'm waiting for gaskets and seals for the replacement timing chain cover to come in the mail. Still on the agenda is to replace the starter motor and the outdrive trim level sender switches, which I am starting to think I need to take the thing to a shop just to have the switches replaced :eek:ut: And the exhaust manifolds and risers need to be replaced in the winter.

So happy it's Friday, and a maiden is in store for the Edge!!

Attached Files:

8. Jun 12, 2017 #228

Xpress..

Xpress..

Xpress..

Hitec Sales

Woohoo! The Edge flies! I need to shift the CG forward and figure something out for the rudder, the movement on it is not linear at all and I am attributing it to the poorly designed linkage setup. Thinking about going pull-pull with it instead of push-pull.

Also I got the boat all fixed up and ready to cruise again :cool:

Attached Files:

9. Jun 15, 2017 #229

Xpress..

Xpress..

Xpress..

Hitec Sales

Decided to go pull-pull on the Edge just to eliminate any frustrations with tweaking the rudder setup, last night I cut the horn off I added and then I cut out the slots for the horns on the other side of the rudder. Also partially ran the pull-pull cables and removed the rudder servo from the tail. The rest of my parts should show up today so I'll be able to finish it before the weekend- too bad I've gotta get back out to the desert to run an errand...

Attached Files:

10. Jun 19, 2017 #230

Xpress..

Xpress..

Xpress..

Hitec Sales

I installed a single rudder servo in the Edge with a 4" SWB arm for the pull pull setup. I let another more accomplished pilot than myself fly the Edge to see what he though and we both agreed it needs more right thrust to compensate for the left pull the airplane exhibits under power. Also, it seems that it needs a hair of up thrust as well, both things I'll adjust out this week. The rudder itself is better and very linear but it's still sensitive to input. I'm going to drop to a 3" SWB arm and will setup a 2nd rudder servo- just to keep the single HSB-9380TH from working so hard (it was more than sufficient for rudder movement). CG was just about dead nuts, albeit seems like it's just slightly nose heavy so the additional rudder servo should help it balance out better. I also baffled up the engine with Darice foam, engine ran great even in the nearly 100* heat of the desert.

Just a couple of more tweaks I'd like to do to it:

-Change from a Falcon 27x11 to a Falcon 28x9.5 prop
    -Throttle curve to smooth the engine out a little
    -Maybe change to bigger flight packs, such as 3600's

Attached Files:

11. Jul 6, 2017 #231

Xpress..

Xpress..

Xpress..

Hitec Sales

Some updates. Changed to a 3" double offset arm on the rudder servo and added a 2nd HSB-9380TH with a 1.5" arm. This fixed all of my overly sensitive rudder issues and still gives enough throw for 3D. I am trying out a Jeti DPS40 magnetic electronic power switch, seems to be working well. If I have success with this then I'll use it on all of my airplanes forward.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIL3hJTIpzA&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Also changed to a Falcon 28x9.5 propeller, which pulled amazing with the DA120. But after only 4 flights with the new prop it delaminated! Luckily the engine was at idle and I was on final, glided in for a trouble free landing. It's going to be warrantied so no worries there. Thoroughly starting to enjoy this airplane otherwise.

Attached Files:

12. Jan 29, 2018 #232

Xpress..

Xpress..

Xpress..

Hitec Sales

Well sorry for being so quiet here the last 6 months, I've been busy!!!

To quickly get everyone up to speed:

The Pilot Edge and Yak went with me to the TriCities Huckfest at the end of August 2017.
    The Pilot Edge and Yak went with me to the Spats Invitational mid October 2017.
    The Pilot Edge and Yak were both sold to a buddy of mine around late November 2017.
    An AJ Aircraft 105" Laser 230Z was procured early December 2017.

Attached are pictures.

Attached Files:

13. Jan 29, 2018 #233

Xpress..

Xpress..

Xpress..

Hitec Sales

Since my last visit here I've actually moved from customer service to sales at Hitec, which is why I haven't had much time on the forums. But enough about me.

Here's what's in the Laser:

DA120 engine
    Falcon 28x9.5 prop
    J&A compact mufflers
    Hitec HSB-9380TH servos
    Hitec HS-5565MH throttle
    Pulse 2s 5000 rx packs
    XPS X-24 Flight System (not a gyro!)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhOVsqo587E&t=[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh1GS7h0hgQ&list=PLffLNV3B14N7_jcZrxzh6sHedyEEH6qO5&index=2[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2ZzW3_MHWI&list=PLffLNV3B14N7_jcZrxzh6sHedyEEH6qO5&index=5[/ame]

Attached Files: