Xpress logs his flights, and other nonsense

Discussion in 'Circus Flight Log' started by Xpress.., Jul 22, 2015.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating:

1. Mar 21, 2017 #201

Xpress..

Xpress..

Xpress..

Hitec Sales

Engine purrs like a kitten.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzKM95PWEoA[/ame]

2. Mar 21, 2017 #202

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

What a beast!

3. Mar 21, 2017 #203

calypso

calypso

calypso

Are you talking about the engine or the pilot ? :devil:

4. Mar 21, 2017 #204

Xpress..

Xpress..

Xpress..

Hitec Sales

Oh boy!!! :yikes:

5. Mar 22, 2017 #205

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

All of the above lol!

6. Mar 24, 2017 #206

Xpress..

Xpress..

Xpress..

Hitec Sales

Well the Extra is ready to go and since I don't have any other airplane related thing to work on I worked on our Rhino instead. Fitted a new lighted whip that I've been meaning to install forever.

Attached Files:

7. Mar 27, 2017 #207

calypso

calypso

calypso

It's going spark a rash of people calling authorities with sightings of URO's (unidentified rolling objects).

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  8. Mar 27, 2017 #208

Xpress..

Xpress..

Xpress..

Hitec Sales

LOL.

I think that this type of activity is expected where I live :biggrin:

9. Apr 3, 2017 #209

Xpress..

Xpress..

Xpress..

Hitec Sales

Remaiden on the Extra went well!! I neglected to put an access hole in the top of the cowl so I was unable to adjust the needles after 2 flights, I was specifically instructed not to fly the engine more than twice on the stock needle settings, not taking any risks this time...

Attached Files:

10. Apr 12, 2017 #210

Xpress..

Xpress..

Xpress..

Hitec Sales

An update for the Edge. ExtremeFlight was nice enough to get me a hookup on some equipment at the Toledo Weak Signals show this past weekend, spent part of the day yesterday getting some of it installed. Rudder and tailwheel are installed, elevator servos and linkages are installed, and fuel tank is installed. Not much further to go, need to glue in the firewall and mount the engine, setup both wings, the rudder, throttle linkage, and then get wiring done. Where I choose to mount the receiver and batteries is going to depend on the CG, I have this feeling it will be tail heavy due to me placing the rudder servo in the tail.

Attached Files:

11. Apr 14, 2017 #211

Xpress..

Xpress..

Xpress..

Hitec Sales

Spent a little time with the Hitec HFP-30 programmer to get the HSB-9380TH servos dialed in to be perfectly matched in the elevators. It's honestly amazing how linear these servos really are, they move exactly the same amount in both directions :cool:

I think this should be enough throw....

Attached Files:

12. Apr 15, 2017 #212

calypso

calypso

calypso

Wow, with that much throw I think it will double as an air brake.

13. Apr 17, 2017 #213

Xpress..

Xpress..

Xpress..

Hitec Sales

For 3D this is a good thing :cool:

--------------------

A good solid weekend of flying, 3 flights on the 126" Extra and 3 flights on the 91" Slick. The ZDZ180 on the Extra is really coming to life now, I have leaned the engine out about one hair on the HS needle and it went from "This is insanity" to "OMG wtfzorz!". The thing will hover the airplane at just over 1/4 throttle, silly kind of power :biggrin:

Attached Files:

14. Apr 18, 2017 #214

Xpress..

Xpress..

Xpress..

Hitec Sales

When I put my 91" Slick together I was never really happy with the linkage geometries on the elevator servos, one elevator always moved a little quicker than the other so I decided to sit down with my HFP-30 programmer and get to work on matching the two servos to each other. The EPA's and Sub Trim settings in my transmitter were wildly off from each other for the two servos, combine in some Expo and it created a situation where even the most linear servos I've ever run would not move in perfect synchronicity. The airplane flew fine for the most part but would wander a little bit when pulling to vertical at speed, due to the mis-matched throws at low surface movements.

About an hour with the programmer and I had that problem just about solved. My ball linkages were also about 1/4" in difference from each other so I corrected that problem, looks like I may have inadvertently warped the elevator surfaces somehow, probably from leaving the airplane in a car in the high heat of summer last year for a couple of days. I may get a new set of stabs.

Attached Files:

15. Apr 20, 2017 #215

Xpress..

Xpress..

Xpress..

Hitec Sales

TDRC harnesses installed into both wing panels, servos mounted into both panels, now it's just a matter of installing control horns into the 2nd panel, then setting servo throws and hooking linkages up!

Still on the list (rough draft, not including finer points):

-Finish wings
    -Install rudder servo/horns/linkages
    -Install tail extensions
    -Install firewall/engine
    -Mount rx/batteries pending CG
    -Fuel/fly

My next obstacle is purchasing some studs for the wings and wing nuts/rubber washers from McMaster Carr. The plastic wing bolts would probably be fine but they fit a little tight into the blind nuts in the wings, and I much prefer to use studs and wingnuts, my 107" Yak is setup like this and it makes mounting the wings a breeze. Off to Home Depot today to find the bolt size (I have a feeling it is 1/4-20).

:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  16. Apr 21, 2017 #216

Xpress..

Xpress..

Xpress..

Hitec Sales

Well I got one wing panel done :cool: These servos really are awesome, perfectly in sync to each other. I spent some time getting the geometries correct as well, the servos move 45* in each direction and the surface also moves roughly 45* in each direction, I guess that would be a 1:1 ratio but I was never the greatest at math :eek:ut:

I also placed an order for some DuBro ball links since I had no trouble wearing out the Pilot ball links on my other Pilot RC, using standard HD 4-40 links throughout with a set of Monster 4-40 links on the rudder.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  17. Apr 25, 2017 #217

Xpress..

Xpress..

Xpress..

Hitec Sales

Whelp, the Edge just needs the engine to be slapped in, nothing else I can do at this point until more parts arrive. Engine standoffs are on their way through the mail, just need a few more items after that and it'll be ready to huck!!!

18. Apr 27, 2017 #218

Xpress..

Xpress..

Xpress..

Hitec Sales

Yippeee!!! The Edge has power!!! Bolted the DA-120 in last night, I ended up needing the 1/2-15/16" spacer kit from SWB MFG, I used the base spacer and the medium spacer they provide with the kit which gives about a 3mm gap between the cowl and spinner- perfect.

Looks like I'll need to make a relief cut in the cowl for the plug cap and shift one of the cowl bolts forward, but I'll do all of that when I get around to cutting the cowl for mufflers. Next up is to get the throttle servo in place so I can test run this beast. The prop is just a test prop, Falcon 29x10, way too much prop for this setup but it'll work for a test fire.

Attached Files:

19. May 10, 2017 #219

Xpress..

Xpress..

Xpress..

Hitec Sales

Well after running into an issue with the throttle arm on my ZDZ180 coming loose, causing the engine to shut down mid-flight, I have successfully remedied the problem and she runs great again :biggrin:

Only to find out that a sudden heavy downpour this past weekend has flooded my club out and left copious amounts of mud on the runway again, for the 3rd time this year- looks like no flying this weekend :cryin:

Attached Files:

20. May 10, 2017 #220

Xpress..

Xpress..

Xpress..

Hitec Sales

Did some baffling last night that needed to be done. There was a sizeable gap between the top of the cylinder head and the cowl where the air could escape through. I made some baffles out of Darine foam and glued them in place, now air has nowhere to go but over the cylinders :thumbsup:

Attached Files: