Why NOT to fly with EDF's

Classclown

I heard that one hides inside his trailer. That's the word on the street, according to HuggyBear.*

Anybody remember what show that was from???

Steve Graham

The nice thing about having four midairs last year, only two of them intentional :biggrin:, is that whenever I start up the skies magically clear of all other traffic.

Classclown

Starsky and Hutch. I don't remember the show, but I saw the movie.
Uh.... Ding ding ding, soup for you.... wait, the movie don't count, ok, half a bowl..... I feel old

One thing though, Huggy Bear was ratting everybody out, left and right, yet, nobody whacked him.... What was wrong with society?

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
we have a particular guy in our club who brings out a gaggle of those warbird racers... not the GS... the ys 110 sized... and he chain flies'em... nearly every take off and landing is a crash.. at least a broken prop....

we (Gas Guys) have the courtesy for him to do his little 10 laps around the pylons a few times... hoping he will have the sense not to fly his Sch!t Box junker slimer racers when we fly....

NOPE... he just gotta fly....

if he wasn't such a hack.. I wouldn't be so worried... but he is over planed with anything more than an
049 powered Gentle Lady glider

earlwb

I have small planes, and big planes, EDF's, and RC helicopters too. But usually we are polite and communicate, etc with each other. If someone wants to do a low "fly by" they announce it to the others so they are aware of it. But still we get a few yahoo's every now and then. Most of the time they crash out pretty quickly though. But some seem to have gotten past the crash phase more though.

If I see someone being obnoxious like that, then I break out one of my coroplast combat planes and fly it. The worse that has happened to them is a broken prop. They blast right on through most everything and if they do crash the worst that has happened so far was a broken prop and a broken needle valve. Of course these planes are my standard for flying on a busy day at the flying field too. There are some guys that for some odd reason just have to fly near my plane when it is up. No matter where I go they follow along. I just can't get away from them. So the coroplast combat planes come out and no one messes with me then. Both of these planes have been through mid-airs already too. Plus it wasn't my fault either.
:D

Rod Bender

Team Flying Circus
Lifetime Supporter
Huh, I thought that only happened at my club ... hmmm lol

Love the simplistic design of the twin, bet it screams

and welcome to the Circus

earlwb

Thanks Rod Bender, Yeah the twin has that great twin engine sound that is mesmerizing.

TL671, no they are not making them anymore, I have simply had these planes since circa 1991. The Airplane Factory gave it up after Hurricane Katrina destroyed their business.

TL671

"The Airplane Factory gave it up after Hurricane Katrina destroyed their business. "

I thought so. I had one about the same time you got yours, maybe a year or so before. I've been considering building one from memory, now that I can actually fly. They aren't the most complicated planes.

earlwb

Over in that other forum, in their Spad section, I posted more pics and basic specs for the Combat .40 Airmadillo, in case you want to build one. The twin just uses two fuselages of course, same wingspan actually.

I bet they got the runaround from the government and insurance companies and by the time they got any money, if any, it was just too late to bother starting the company up again.

I plan on building a Giant Combat Airmadillo myself too. By the time I was ready to buy one from them, they had gone out of business.

Last edited:

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
I am going to put two 60 ounce gas tanks in my plane... when the Hacks take off.,... I will fly high cover until they crash... then back down on the deck!!! with throttle management, I can go 40 minutes!!

he he he he

earlwb

Yeah that would work but you still have to dodge those anti-aircraft missiles that the EDF jets turn into. I would swear they have heat seeking capability and home in on the big expensive planes.
:crazy:

Cerus98

I think things like this are just going to happen more and more when you have pattern and 3D on the same field. Probably why a lot of clubs push hovering planes and helis off to the side. I've had my fair share of frustration when trying to take off or land and the resident hoverers won't move or get into the pattern. It's like the complete opposite of circle fliers sometimes - they can't/won't do anything but hover 20ft off the middle of the runway. I always try to go with the flow. If there's a lot of folks flyin circles I either limit my 3Ding, join the pattern or just wait it out. But I always make my intentions known cuz its the other guys flying that I worry about.

If the EDF was up first then he did have right of way. Hard to tell with the music though. But then you might also run into pattern fliers who never give 3Ders a chance to fly their way if first=right of way. Really is no clear cut solution.

Last edited:

earlwb

Lately I have been flying the little NV-Engines (Norvel) GX40 gas engine on a small 3D stunt plane (old Hot Knife) and even with a 6 ounce fuel tank, I can fly the thing for like 20 to 30 minutes at lower throttle speeds. So I can fly up higher in a circle pattern and wait for the others to run out of fuel and land and then take to practicing my hovering skills (which aren't good) then.

Once a RC heli-guy stated to someone to have patience as this plane flyer has a lot of hang time there with that plane. We take turns sharing the field with heli's and planes.