What TRANSMITTER do you fly and why

red7fifty

BadAss Member
FYI, the 18MZ transmitter has the same internal guts as a DX4/4EX/FlyZone RTF transmitter.
The manufacter just hooked up a MP3 player via USB cable to the trainer port...the rest of the unit actually has NO function whatsoever....the beeps are fake (like a Chinese 9X Turnigy).
They just give you a nice aluminum case and membership into Futaba Flyers' Club to make you feel better. :)
:prrr:
Clown will probably back me up on this one.....maybe?

CanCanCase

Bought a cheap Futaba 7C 72mHz back when my first 1000 hours flying RC were on RealFlight 3.0 and Phoenix v1. Never flew it in a real model.

3 years ago when I entered the hobby (for the first time on my own) I picked up a 10CAP on 2.4 since that's what my Dad used and we figured they would be easy to teach/learn/buddy box... Had the radio, but ordered up a CarbonZ Yak BNF and DX6i to fly that weekend. First flight with the CZ Yak ended up being my solo, and we've never buddy boxed anything.

When I built my WW50cc LamSuk, I wanted to play with telemetry, and the 14sg had just been announced. Ordered up a pair for me and Pops, and now I've got 2 10CAP's sitting gathering dust.

Granted, the Hobbico ultra micros suck, but I ended up with an AnyLink on the back of my DX6i so it could fly just about any BNF out there. Now that the DSM2/X modules on RCG are proving decent, I've got one on the way and will take beer money for the DX6i.

Short answer: 14sg because it does FHSS, FASST, FASSTest, AnyLink, and now DSM2/X....

- Case

sukhoikid

Futaba 18 MZ.
Probably has every program feature you will ever need. Transmitter is very light for all it does. Had the 14MZ for 6 years and the only reason I upgraded to the 18 was for the new touch screen, switch locations, and telemetry. The 14MZ I was able to sell at a good price for me in order to afford the 18mz. Futaba tx tend to hold their resell value I believe!

Barry Built

Lifetime Supporter
FYI, the 18MZ transmitter has the same internal guts as a DX4/4EX/FlyZone RTF transmitter.
The manufacter just hooked up a MP3 player via USB cable to the trainer port...the rest of the unit actually has NO function whatsoever....the beeps are fake (like a Chinese 9X Turnigy).
They just give you a nice aluminum case and membership into Futaba Flyers' Club to make you feel better. :)
:prrr:
Clown will probably back me up on this one.....maybe?

I knew it!!!

Barry Built

Lifetime Supporter
I have used Kraft, Futaba, JR, Spectrum and Airtronics.. Never had real bad issues.. But I will never have a Henway again!!!!!

fsone

I used Futaba for years,but decided when Spektrum came out i would give it a try.Had a DX7 for 4yrs worked fab easy to use many features so this year i purchased DX8 and i am really impressed with the features and easy to use.It has been flawless for me and also can use my older DSM2 receivers as well.Now have converted over 5 more planes to DSMX.

joebob

Futaba 9C w/ Hitec 2.4 module, but just got a Futaba 14SG to replace it. Haven't flown it yet.

Jace

Went from a Futaba 9cap to the JR 11X. No problems with either system. Not having a digital throttle trim is my only gripe with the 11X. But having so many bnf options with JR is awesomesauce fo sho

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!
I'd rather have a NON digital throttle trim. Mainly because I use the throttle trim to kill my engines. I'd rather not listen to all those beeps.

To each their own.

MadMonkey

That's MISTER idiot to you!
JR 11X for me. I started with Futaba (Attack 4, lol... this was like 93), and have tried Hitec, Airtronics, JR and Spektrum.

I flew a 9303 on 72 for a long time, then switched to the X9303 (2.4) and immediately crashed 3 planes on it. Got rid of that and switched to a DX7, then an SD10G, but that one felt way too cheap and didn't fit me well.

I still keep the DX7 around for foamies and such. I'm seriously considering....

I'm try the new frsky by taranis you can just about program anything you want on 16 channels.
...this, or the new one they're working on. I'm about done buying overpriced stuff as long as the normal-priced stuff works. FRSky has enthused me.

I'd rather have a NON digital throttle trim. Mainly because I use the throttle trim to kill my engines. I'd rather not listen to all those beeps.

To each their own.
I've had a couple of radios with digital throttle trims... I always set up a kill switch mix on those.

I've had a few, started with a basic non-computer JR 6-channel, then a JR 8103, then a FM 9303, then a 2.4 9303, then I got a REALLY good deal on a 12x which is my current radio. The 12x is dated and could use a refresh but for what I fly it suits my needs.

Dansy

Started on Futaba FG7 (gold box) had quite a few of these some 5 and 6 channel then I got the 9VAP.....then got a JR10 for Heli also had other JR like 6channels, eventually a JR10X for fixed wing...got out of the hobby for about 11 years....I got back last year with a JR12x because I like the feel of it and still knew JR, then I saw the Jeti.....

So at the moment and probably my last radio is a JETI DC-16C got a pair of those, love this radio super smooth stick and telemetry is wonderful!

misfitsailor

Futaba 9C here, I use all the following modules:

72 mhz
50 mhz
75 mhz (surface use, submarine)
2.4 ghz Hitec

It's a very versitile radio! I went to disposable lipo AA cells nearly a year ago, I have yet to deplete the first set!