What made Flying Circus great

Discussion in 'TFC Announcements & Help' started by BRUTUS, Sep 7, 2013.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating using the link above.
  1. Sep 7, 2013 #1

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

Long before FG was a twinkle in Mad Max's eye there was a website that thrived simply called the Flying Circus. There were passionate, energetic people at the helm, that took it upon themselves to promote fun, giant scale 3D flying, gas engines, airframes, and aerobatics. They made instructional video's, brazen video's, and fun video's. There were builds, light hearted antics, TFC events, and a passion for flying that permeated everything that they did.

As the Circus grew it's founding members came to an impasse. Some saw dollar signs, some saw corporate institutionalization and the loss of freedom. When Max exercised his legal right to shut the Circus down he opened the doors to what is now one of the biggest, and most popular RC sites on the web. But, it came at a price. Many friendships were torn apart, promises forgotten, and people were betrayed. The remaining Circus freaks scraped the pieces back together and like a risen Phoenix the Cirkus was born. People came back, but that core group was never quite the same. Many were gone forever. Most moved on. Went on with their lives. Left this place in the rear view so they could focus on what really mattered in their lives. Only a very few of those original members are still around. You can count them on one hand. We lost another one just today- a guy that has been here since the very beginning, and through the last 3 URLs.

Now, TFC is a refuge for those that do not play well with others. Or were removed from other, more restrictive web environments. In fighting is common, bickering, name calling, and insults are the norm. At one point political bickering overran the boards to such a degree that some, including myself had enough, and threatened to abandon the Circus unless something changed. Hence the birth of the political crap thread.

Most people came here to communicate with friends about flying, and sharing their experience and knowledge. Some, like me just want to share their passion for aviation and flying with other like minded individuals. But there are a few that believe they are above reproach, common decency, or are infallible to a degree of saintliness.

If you have any desire to see the Circus thrive there are a few ways you can contribute in a way that adds equity.

1. Post build threads with lots of pictures and explanations. Do not expect anything in return, but instead think of it as paying it forward to the group.

2. Attend local events, and share them with the Circus. Take pictures, edit video, and tell us about the event.

3. If you have a product you would like to review, or bring our attention to, please do. Most of us are not big believers in the new cool-aide, but there are many advances being made every day.

4. Host a local event, or volunteer. Get off your lazy ass and do something that contributes to your core group.

5. Post a flight log. Not only can you share your passion for flying, but you can inspire the arm-chair quarterbacks out of their lethargy and get more people out burning gas.

6. Answer questions from less experienced members with courtesy and manners. Newbies are the future. Run them off and this place will be as dull and noxious as the local assisted living dump.

7. Do an instructional video.

8. Shut the F up and go flying. Cyber masturbation is only a substitute for the real thing. Build up some street cred. Make it real, and stop jerking off to 3DHS and Extreme Flight advertisements.

9. Dedicate yourself to becoming a better pilot.

Here are some ways you can erode what the Circus is about, and take an active role in it's demise.

1. Keep believing whatever comes out of your mouth is beyond reproach.

2. Sit in open judgement of the people around you. Make sure you share your toxic view with anyone that can read.

3. Air out your dirty laundry in public. Not only is it a distraction from model aviation, but it speaks of your cowardice to deal with said issues face to face.

4. Name calling is a great way to alienate your contemporaries, and make yourself look like a pompous ass.

5. Attack someone with a differing opinion. Not only is it bad form, but it speaks of your own intolerance, insecurity, and refusal to see both sides of any issue.

6. Do not contribute anything positive to the group. Use your influence instead to tear at others reputation, intelligence, experience, and differing points of view. After all, you want everyone to know how superior you are. Right?

I am coming back as a mod, and will be contributing as I have been over the last several years in my builds, flight log, and events. I will stay out of everyone elses BS as best I can, but know this; You come after me, or my friends with names, insults, threats, or whatever you have justified yourself with and I will institute a 3 strikes rule. Do it once, I will edit your post and give you a warning. Twice, another edit and a week vacation. Third time and I will one click ban and clean you so fast your head will spin. Notice has been given. Test me and see what happens.

The past is mostly water under the bridge when it comes to currently active members.

Craven- we have had our differences in the past, and I'm letting them go. A fresh start for both of us. I wish you calm skies, and a good running motor.

Jody- keep a civil tongue. Pass judgement on me, or mine and I will respond in kind. Your acts of piety are a thin veil. Generosity should not be used leverage, or a free check to pass judgement on people, and families you do not know.

Clown- try not to instigate.

Tired Old Man- I am coming to appreciate how thankless being a leader is. I respect your opinions, and thought process. I am here for fun, and to contribute to my hobby. Not take a beating from keyboard bullies. I hope you can appreciate the 3 strike policy. Something needs to be done. There is trouble in paradise, and I have heard several people refer to the new TFC as a chapter out of "Lord of The Flies." I have heard other say simply "Flying Circus is dead to me." We have already lost too many good pilots, I don't want to lose more.

The rest of you- take a step back and ask yourself what can you do to actually contribute to a positive, fun, and informative TFC. Builds, events, and reviews take time, and energy. But they are the real lifeblood of this website. 3,000 pages of fluff is only worth 5 pages of real content.

Cody

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  2. Sep 7, 2013 #2

wahoo

wahoo

wahoo

Senior Supporter

+1000 man

I have a few new airframes coming ...nothing new or groundbreaking, but I'm willing to share a few pics with you'all..... No build thread mind you...just a few pics on how I assemble an arf.

3. Sep 7, 2013 #3

Classclown

Classclown

Classclown

Hey Deekhead, welcome back! I've been good, how'v you been? :)

4. Sep 7, 2013 #4

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

Busy. I'm doing 4 demo flights with the Super Cub and Yellow DR Extra at the Arvada Harvest Festival Airshow later today. There should be a few thousand in attendance. My 60cc P-47 is ready for Warbirds over the Rockies next weekend. And I'm taking Wed-Sun off so I can get a good spot on the flight line. I'm going to see how many trouble free flights I can get with retracts and a G-62! My goal is to get more flights then anyone else at the event, and I'm bringing my Super Cub for after hours. That thing ought to light a few FOG's hair on fire!

On another note- without my asking for ANYTHING my friend Tim offered me an 80" World Models Zero just so he could see me finish and fly it. I turned him down at first, as the last thing I need is another airframe, BUT I could use a backup Warbird for WOTR. After a couple months, and seeing it sit at a swap meet untouched I had to take him up on the offer. He actually paid me to mod the firewall on the same airframe a couple years ago for a DLE-55R. He never built it, but accumulated Robart retracts, a pile of Futaba digital 3010 MG servo's, a three bladed prop, etc... Lots of goodies. He even had an engine for it but sold it. If I take what he paid me for my work on the airframe, and applied it to a new motor and other bits I will essentially be getting a complete, unbuilt plane for absolutely nothing. Just because he likes me, and wants to see a plane that intimidates him in the air. The Zero is made for a 26cc engine, but a DLE-55R balances it perfectly. I'm going with a 12 pitch 3 blade prop for speed. I'm thinking it's going to be one of the faster warbirds next year. I'm going to start building it after I finish the SU and fix my floats for the Super Cub.

I'm moving in with my girlfriend in a few months, so the big Waco is on hold until everything settles down and I have a garage to build in. My living room is completely over-run.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  5. Sep 7, 2013 #5

Classclown

Classclown

Classclown

Didn't World Models also have a bigger Zero? A buddy of mine had one with a G62. I was thinking of one with my 3W75, That would be cool!

6. Sep 7, 2013 #6

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

The Mistress of Biplanes Lifetime Supporter

Welcome back Cody. I am really glad you are here and appreciate your contributions to this site as well as the hobby.
    The Clown has been good. Seriously. No really.:biggrin:
    Hi Max!

7. Sep 7, 2013 #7

Classclown

Classclown

Classclown

I have been trying...

8. Sep 7, 2013 #8

Classclown

Classclown

Classclown

But in your "I'm Back Beetches" statement, it was originally the Flying Cirkus, then it became TeamFlyingCircus.

9. Sep 7, 2013 #9

red7fifty

red7fifty

red7fifty

BadAss Member

:thumbsup: hahaha....always can count on CC making me laugh. :prrr:

10. Sep 7, 2013 #10

yakken

yakken

yakken

Sup man, I am having a huckfest in west virginia in a couple months. Its goin to be 50cc and larger and you have to throw down.more info to come.:thumbsup:

11. Sep 7, 2013 #11

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member Admin

Cody,

I largely agree with much of what you stated, with a few exceptions, or modifiers if you will. The Circus is not just about renegades, it's also very much about free speaking without incurring punishment from the "you must think and be like me" Borg crowd. They way you described the way you think things should be pretty much reconfigured the site to be another FG or RCU. Personally, I don't want that. Oh, you're absolutely right about leading. it's not easy and even tougher if you intend to lead without people being aware they are being led. A good leader shows people how when they behave certain ways or do certain things because they want to, not because they were told to, they manage to have more fun or achieve more goals.

You may not be aware of it but I'm still a member of RCU but never, ever go there anymore. I think I had upwards of 20,000 posts when I left because of "society owes a debt to me" mindset held by a pretty large number of the members. As for writing "How To" and "Build" articles I have a hunch I've done more in that category than anyone in this forum. For starters I'll mention a relationship with Wildhare RC that used my writing to bring a large number of people into giant scale RC, and then move forward with gas engines, control surface set ups, hinging and other hobby related activities. So I know what people can do if they want to, but they have to want to. My separation from FG was deliberate. I went toe to toe with a megalomaniac when I openly and intentionally challenged the owner's assault on everyone's freedom of speech, freedom of association, and demonstrated intent of social engineering through political correctness. If you recall that all started when I told one of his moderators, bluntly, that he was wrong with some of his engine advice.

I don't believe this site should be built into one person's image so latitude has to be provided or even more real good people will depart. We are not all the same, regardless of how hard our government and corporate America try to make it so. As I've been so visibly reminded, one person cannot sit in judgement of all. When you talk about a 3 strikes punishment system once again you are setting RCU, FG, and other social programming site rules. Not a good thing, and it puts everyone on notice they are members only as long as they avoid bucking a particular moderator. Your point of naming specific people as being on notice was saying exactly what I just referred to. "Do as I say and only my way or your gone, I'll only warn you three times". Dude, if I used that rule most everyone using this site would have been banned a long time ago.

Again, as I've recently been so visibly reminded, only Austin has total control and say over what takes place here, and who stays or goes. A moderator has to maintain the ability to remain relatively neutral, be able to see both sides of an issue, separate himself from his friends and associations to the extent necessary to avoid developing an image of favoritism. A moderator CANNOT be biased and be a moderator. If they are then you don't have neutrality but instead a fool thinking they are a shepherd guiding their flock of sheep to a desired location. A moderator must be able to hate, dislike, like, or not like while keeping that to themselves.

Again, I agree with much of what you wrote but exercise some care in your meting out of punishment. You may find some of your calls subject to consensual reviews if you act too forcefully unilaterally. If management agrees with your view of the way things should be, then I don't need or want to be here anymore. There's other things I could be doing that generate revenue, or that would provide the continued ability to have fun. I think you'll find others might have similar outlook.

Yes, we need to build the site, and yes, the bickering and fighting need to back off quite a bit. We need or would like some sponsors to help pay the bills and to be there if asked for stuff to give away at events but we should achieve these goals not legislatively but socially tough individual responsibility and desire. I won't be the one to tell everyone they have to be like me, act like me, love me, and never, ever offend my friends. That way will never work. The Romans tried that and a lot of Caesars didn't make it.

12. Sep 7, 2013 #12

Jedijody

Jedijody

Jedijody

Proud father of Soldiers

Sounds a lot more like a dictator than a moderator. :finger:

13. Sep 7, 2013 #13

Dean Bird

Dean Bird

Dean Bird

Lifetime Supporter

Close.

FlyingCirkus.com
    TeamFlyingCirkus.com
    TeamFlyingCircus.com

Check my avatar. I've had the Flying Cirkus logo for a decade.

Revy likes this.
  14. Sep 7, 2013 #14

Dean Bird

Dean Bird

Dean Bird

Lifetime Supporter

Who would that be?

15. Sep 7, 2013 #15

Classclown

Classclown

Classclown

That's right. When Max shut it down, and started FlyinGnats, I didn't know you guys continue'd on with the second URL. It wasn't until '09 that I realized the Circus was still alive.... sort off. Wish all the original guys were still around, those were fun days. I loved all the video contests. At least Tony still has a lot of his vids still up.

16. Sep 7, 2013 #16

Admin

Admin

Admin

Staff Member Admin Moderator

I too don't like the idea of metering punishment, but we will discuss that in the mod forum. I do feel some sort of standard need to be put in place though. As we have seen those who feel there are no consequences will push us to the very end, at which point we have to make an unpopular decision, and feel that vilifies us in terms of our interactions.

I over turned one of your decisions, and I appreciate you allowing me to do so. Moderating is subjective, and I try to be objective in my approach, and not consider personal relationships, or anything aside from the actual events. I appreciate your discussion with me and allowing for a better quality of administration from me.

I don't like overturning mod decisions. They are in a thankless role, taking on the drama, drunken mistakes, and spammers without any acknowledgement of their role. I would like to publicly thank them all for their time here, and I want them to know it is appreciated, even if we don't always all agree.

We are the last home so to speak. That means there's a special acknowledgement that must occur here. We do want you to be yourselves, great men don't stifle themselves, but they also pick their battles and watch their words.

I feel we're on a solid path to getting along now.

17. Sep 7, 2013 #17

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member Admin

Austin,

I took a few days to think long and hard about your over turning my action, and ultimately I decided you were right, and I'll make this public, I was wrong.

I let my personal feelings interfere with what should have been a simple consideration. I allowed previous interactions to influence the now based upon what were in reality minor positional statements that should not have had any impact on anything. In short, my actions were not professional, and entirely personal. For that I owe Craven an apology. Hopefully he accepts that with the sincerity it was given. I should also say thanks to you for doing the right thing. You have no idea how hard that was for me to put in print, but they are the right things to do. The members well deserve seeing what had generated my short petulant departure and my admissions as to why I was wrong in my punitive actions against a member.

I agree, we need to have a higher level discussion about the direction we wish to go. I do think that, with the exception of the obvious trolls and spammers, we might want to consider having a moderator/owner quorum discussion before drastic actions are enacted against members.

I'm the first to admit that I can be an a$$ at times, but I'm also the first to admit that my way will not always be the only way, and that my way may not be appropriate (I HATE that word) for a general situation. For those moments we need balanced thinking from several directions. Not necessarily consensus, but something akin to recognizing reality.

18. Sep 7, 2013 #18

psycho-patch

psycho-patch

psycho-patch

Heuristics in judgment and decision making, including:

Availability heuristic – estimating what is more likely by what is more available in memory, which is biased toward vivid, unusual, or emotionally charged examples[45]
    Representativeness heuristic – judging probabilities on the basis of resemblance[45]
    Affect heuristic – basing a decision on an emotional reaction rather than a calculation of risks and benefits[97]

And now I will leave all to their self induced but in full denial perceptions and pains.

19. Sep 8, 2013 #19

drgparto

drgparto

drgparto

You should put away concerns about trolls or punishment for now and concentrate on real problem of forum not have any scope or future if not will be nobody left to make example of . All same every day like chat room only talk amongst self, were is include of others who not so clever about RC? Can not make future or profit on small number of same like mind people if not include everyone. Less RC knowledge is key to make money from.

One of you speak about not care for see or encourage thread on building to show off to friends who know how to build, this is wrong idea. You need many target audience to make site popular and attract sponsor for those who know little about RC but willing to spend money. This is nature of hobby like or no like is fact.

Why anyone want to add money to site if only see same story not RC related every day or small talk between few people about guns or politics.

Ha really solution is not so difficult but so many clever people need time to see problem is there and still no do anything to make better. Some not so clever as try to be.

Adios

I like picture of biohazard and signature you make is funny. Thanks for make it to me:D

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  20. Sep 8, 2013 #20

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member Admin

Any time, you're welcome:thumbsup:

Now that you've had your shot at telling us all what we are doing wrong, remember back to when I said the subject matter of a site is at the whim of those that frequent a site. Sure, threads can be killed off by someone that doesn't share your view, but that's not very productive.

You mentioned that you have interests. Have you considered that some others might share YOUR particular interests and enjoy talking about them? Most threads in this site were stated by individuals, in some ways similar to yourself, that have specialized interests. They didn't see other threads that fit those interest so they did something creative. They started a new thread, one that catered to the interest each had in mind. Those threads either grew or dies based upon a commonality of interest, or lack thereof.

So man up, and start something about that which gets you going. Try being constructive instead of destructive. I'm quite pleased you liked the bio-hazard avatar but you might want to change it just a little. You see it's an image of the reticule inside a holographic rifle sight. It was intended to draw you out as a zombie target. You don't have or need to be a target, you could just as easily become a welcomed member of the site. One that shares your interests in order to expand the topic base of the site.

That's the beauty of this site. We talk about that which interests us. We talk planes, helis, cars, politics, guns, and if I can get him to do it, the cooking of good foods. Some will like this or that, others won't. There's nothing that forces anyone to be involved in anything they don't wish to be. We also understand that everyone is not the same and at times will have differences that will become public. Those moments can be quite humorous for those not directly involved.

You want the site to be different? Start a thread that takes the direction you want it to go. In this you have the option of being a leader or a follower. Understand followers rarely have the ability to control much of anything, but leaders set the topic and the pace for what goes on around them.

Now welcome to the site. I hope you expend the effort to provide something interesting to yourself and others.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013