VOTEC Level One Assembly

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
OK.... I got a Level 1 Votec. I am gonna do a build thread here.... mostly pix. Not gonna do a "Blow-by-Blow" deal... but put a few snaps up and reply to questions and add a bit of commentary...

For starters, the original owner was setting up for Cannisters... so a lot of the structure between bulkhead #1 and #2 was trimed back for clearance. You can see in some of the pictures two beams ...one on each side of the gear plate along the bottom.... well... forgive me for saying so... but these beams are "Cheeze-Ply".. with a lot of "Weakening Holes" cut to save 24 grams.... but significantly compromising the structure... so I had to restore/enhance this structure.

I started out preparing my table and laying out the glass and the Carbon Uni.
I used glass for the bidirectional part as it goes around corners a little easier. I sanded all the bonding surfaces, and I closed up the aft hole on the floor of the nose. The bidirectional was cut into 4 inch wide strips after I wet it out. I did the trick cutting the glass and the underlying plastic at the same time as you can see in THIS THREAD.

I am suprised the 3W planes hold up as well as they do as IMHO, the bulkheads are very cheezy...

Otherwise though, the fabrication looks pretty good... it is just the rather wimpy wood parts in the fuse that are questionable....

enjoy the pix.

DSCF5484.jpg

DSCF5487.jpg

DSCF5493.jpg

DSCF5494.jpg

DSCF5495.jpg

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
Initially pour the epoxy over the glass... let it soak thru a bit... this helps prevent the glass from moving around as you Squeegee in the resin... and I mixed a bit of epoxy with Cotton Flox to fillet the corners inside the fuse... helps the glass lay down and stay down....

DSCF5496.jpg

DSCF5498.jpg

DSCF5499.jpg

DSCF5502.jpg

DSCF5503.jpg

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
Mix in the flox (or micro) to a creamy peanut butter consistancy, and then use a small brush or stick to put it in the corners.

DSCF5505.jpg

DSCF5508.jpg

And now a word from my sponsor!!! lol

DSCF5510.jpg

OK.. lets cut the glass into strips... (on a Plus-r-Minus 45 degree bias) so we can get it out of the way and get the carbon uni wetted out too!

DSCF5512.jpg

DSCF5513.jpg

david010567

aka Schlawiener
FINALLY!!! This is EXACTLY the build thread I need to see. The Construction is very similar to my Meister-Scale Platinum Series BF-109 I will be receiving soon. I am pretty good with wood but the composite stuff is going to be a bit new for me.

Will be watching with GREAT interest Mike!

THANKS for doing this.

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
finish cutting the glass... and get the carbon wetted out....
some carbon uni material is very tightl layered... so a fair amount of pressure is needed to get the resin to wet out all the way thru.... always stroke the squeegee along the fiber direction... never across the fibers.....

DSCF5518.jpg

DSCF5520.jpg

DSCF5526.jpg

DSCF5529.jpg

DSCF5531.jpg

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
The uni I am using is simply 98% carbon in the lengthwise direction with occasional (2%) cross direction glass strands (Toes) lightly "Starched" in place to hold the unis in a handlable manner.....

Again... cut thru the underlying plastic film as a sort of backup-aid in making the material handleable.

Be sure to remove the plastic film before the next layer!!!

DSCF5535.jpg

DSCF5536.jpg

DSCF5537.jpg

DSCF5538.jpg

OK... lets start laying the uni down along the cheezy-rails!

DSCF5539.jpg

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
OK... start laying it in... I am being careful to keep the uni as straight as possible... no bends or kinks!!!

DSCF5540.jpg

DSCF5542.jpg

DSCF5543.jpg

Uni is on... lets slap on the bidirectional!!!!

DSCF5544.jpg

Another word from my Sponsor!!!

DSCF5547.jpg

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
so here is the first rail with uni and aft layer of bidirectional....

DSCF5548.jpg

And finish the other side.... Uni full length... bulkhead - to - Bulkhead with no kinks and a ply of glass over the uni/rails.

A small additional piece tying the rail into the forward and aft bulkheads are also added at this time

DSCF5552.jpg

DSCF5554.jpg

DSCF5559.jpg

DSCF5562.jpg

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
Finish up the last corner-doupler and then until it is tacked up, I had to give it occasional attention to keep the glass from lifting up.

DSCF5565.jpg

DSCF5571.jpg

DSCF5576.jpg

Another Word From Our Sponsor

DSCF5579.jpg

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
FINALLY!!! This is EXACTLY the build thread I need to see. The Construction is very similar to my Meister-Scale Platinum Series BF-109 I will be receiving soon. I am pretty good with wood but the composite stuff is going to be a bit new for me.

Will be watching with GREAT interest Mike!

THANKS for doing this.

Hey... no sweat... I gotta do it anyway.. and Barry was there to take the snaps....

Mith how much weight are going to add to that by putting in all that reinforcement.

I dunno... less then 8 ounces prolly.... less then if I replaced those cheezy beams with plywood. I shoulda weighed the materials I used! :O

With wet layup composites, a good rule of thumb is to mix 1 ounce of epoxy for every ounce of cloth or fiber.

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
I have mounted the main gear strut...I usually shorten the tangs on T-Nuts as they are too long for the plywood we use.... started on the internal structure for the tank, Rx mounts and Rudder rack...

DSCF5589.jpg

DSCF5594.jpg

DSCF5595.jpg

DSCF5598.jpg

DSCF5599.jpg

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
Here I make templates from corrugated box material for the internal panels and bulkheads....

DSCF5600.jpg

DSCF5602.jpg

DSCF5603.jpg

DSCF5605.jpg

DSCF5606.jpg

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
Here is the actual Gas/Smoke tank mount.. the slots are for Zip-Tie/Velcro straps....

I will use the rudder rack from my ZN-Line.

DSCF5608.jpg

DSCF5609.jpg

DSCF5611.jpg

DSCF5612.jpg

DSCF5615.jpg

Gmoney

Circus Staff
Mith, par for the course you are killin it with the fibre.. Two things one if you can find the time swing by Ole Show's and take some mental notes of his 3W built Slotec those boys over there have some tricks for a super clean long lasting setup.. Next where the heck is your wing tube hole? dont see it on the pics and would hate to see you have to redo all that work for the tube and alignment pins.. you will need to reinforce all six penatrations before your done..

Keep up the good work.. Something in the water up in the HD right now some killer flying and building coming out of that area..

Gmoney

Gmoney

Circus Staff
One other thing... Your scheme on that bird should be a reflection of your lead sponsor..

F A S T! The white, orange and black would pop.. it would match your new shirt and hat..

G