Tribute---- To my Dad

TManiaci

Engineer
Lifetime Supporter
Great memorial Mike. You are so very fortunate to have had a father of that caliber, one engaged in your life and inspiring you to a direction in life. Sorry to hear he passed on, blue skies.

My Dad is still around, and he inspired my interest in the hobby as a child too with a gift of a control line Cox 049 powered model. He never engaged in the hobby, but I did do a lot of hunting and fishing with him. It's gonna be a rough day when he goes...

Chad H

Passin` Gas
This is just a awesome tribute to your father. I can really relate to this as my father started me going in this hobby, and your photos of your dads and your models almost parallel what I saw growing up.

You have been given a life what many people never got to have I think and only wish they had. A loving father who guided you in the right direction through life. And a father that you got to share a life long passion with that gave you uncountable memories of him with you.

He will always be with you now every time you fly, and he will be with when you sit at your bench working on your models.

It is wonderful that you chose to share a part of your dad with us. It is nice to see someone else confirm to me that this hobby is more than just model airplanes. It`s all about all the great people we spend time with as we participate in it, and talk to in between the flights that makes it great. Either it be at the field, or on the computer.

1BWANA1

Very nice Mith. One of the true measures of a father is how he treats his Children. I never met your Father. However, I have seen you with your children. You do a great job with them. I'm sure it reflects what you learned from your Father.

Thanks for posting.

Nice Tribute Mith, sorry to hear about your Dad. You are lucky to have a father as involved in your life as he was. Not all are so lucky.

Votec Yak Guy

I've got a little tear in my eye Mith. I'm touched and at the same time sorry for your loss. Your memories will live with you forever and you can find comfort knowing that you will fly together again some day in a great place, sunny weather, no wind, torque rolling on the deck, smoke on.....

Greg

Al Lewis

Circus Staff
Mith, you were very fortunate to have had such a long time with such a great Dad. I'm sure your memories will stay with you forever. Very sorry for your loss my friend but very jealous of what you had.

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks to everyone who has responded.....

... I truly realize the relationship I had with my Dad was a sort of'a One'of'a'kind deal....

I remember when I was in highschool.... so many of my friends disliked their dads....

I couldn't figure it out 'cuz my dad was like... my Hero!!!

He was a pattern guy at heart...... and that is part of the reason I did the pattern contest in SD.... so that he could know I did at least one pattern contest in his life.....

Of all the things I could have inherited from him... the single most precious thing... is a pair of Craftsmen Needle Nose pliers.... I remember he always had'em... they are prolly as old as I am... and when I went back to see my mom..... I told her that was really the only thing "Special"... so I got'em!!!

they are way better than any pair of needle nose pliers I have ever owned!!!

I was lucky... and I am glad my Dad made it to at least 84....

topflight36

Hucking in Style
Mith he will always be with you man. Your write up really shows your bond with your father and the love people have for this hobby. Not only does it seem like he lead a great life but he inspired you to do the same.

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
My Dad chose to be cremated.... and I got a small bag of his ashes... in a red velvet bag....

Today I went to OCMA to drop something off with someone that is helping me out... and while I was there....

I decided to let Dad go for a little 3D Flight.... he he he he

Daddy_3D-000.jpg

Daddy_3D-00.jpg

Daddy_3D-02.jpg

Daddy_3D-02-z.jpg

Daddy_3D-04.jpg

Daddy_3D-04-z.jpg

I did the lowest and slowest Rolling Harriers I think I ever did!! Even took'em up for a Knife Edge Spin... TR's... Stall Turns... a couple of pretty good Double Upline Snaps!!!

Had a great day flying with my friends.....

Missed shooting with another friend though! :(

TManiaci

Engineer
Lifetime Supporter
I'll bet he always thought about taking a ride in an airplane like this. I know I have. Wish granted. Great tribute Mike.

WangoTango

"The King's Jester!"
Mith,
Great story of your Dad.... I really enjoyed it. My son Kyle and my Dad passed away seven months apart. Both their ashes were scattered by plane(s) I say "plane(s)' because Kyle is over Barnstormer Field in New Waverly, Tx., Bomber Field out west of Houston in Monaville, Brazos Valley R/C Club outside of College Station, Tx., the 2010 Joe Nall and in the Texas A&M University @ Central Texas (CTC) practice area southwest of Killeen, Tx. These were the places he loved to fly the models as well as the real aircraft. Dad got the full military honors as he was a 30 year career Air Force man.
I always tear up when I hear tributes to anybody's Dad. I 'm sure your Dad was the best...... I know I was the best I could be to Kyle and my Dad was the best ever to me. We all loved aviation. The only reason I'm still involved in flying models and flying a real one every so often is so they can see me fly. I can't wait to fly in formation with them one day..... What a stellar day that will be! :thumbs::thumbs: (They are the reason I always give two thumbs up!)
WT

CircusPrincess

Circus Staff
Beautiful tribute, Mith. You are so blessed to have spent so much time with your dad. My daddy passed away 22 years ago. He was only 48. I would have treasured the time to be able to spend with him if he had only lived a long, wonderful life like your dad!

I had a tear running down my cheek while reading this. Glad you posted it, Mith.

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
Beautiful tribute, Mith. You are so blessed to have spent so much time with your dad. My daddy passed away 22 years ago. He was only 48. I would have treasured the time to be able to spend with him if he had only lived a long, wonderful life like your dad!

I had a tear running down my cheek while reading this. Glad you posted it, Mith.
So True.. I am blessed... and I am fortunate enuff to realize that I was blessed with an awesome Dad!! (and Mom.. and Bros and Sis's)

BR289

EF's
My Dad chose to be cremated.... and I got a small bag of his ashes... in a red velvet bag....

Today I went to OCMA to drop something off with someone that is helping me out... and while I was there....

I decided to let Dad go for a little 3D Flight.... he he he he

View attachment 26078

View attachment 26079

View attachment 26080

View attachment 26081

View attachment 26082

View attachment 26083

I did the lowest and slowest Rolling Harriers I think I ever did!! Even took'em up for a Knife Edge Spin... TR's... Stall Turns... a couple of pretty good Double Upline Snaps!!!

Had a great day flying with my friends.....

Missed shooting with another friend though! :(

Wow! How cool is that! :thumbsup:

musicman10153

Hey brother, great tribute. I too am carrying some of Dad's ashes in my TX case but will always carry his memory in my heart, especially when I fly or play the french horn. Dad lived large and showed us how to be passionate and how to be committed to something. I am glad to be back in the hobby now that I am retired. I am sure Dad is having sunny flights and happy landings. Love you bro.

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
Hey brother, great tribute. I too am carrying some of Dad's ashes in my TX case but will always carry his memory in my heart, especially when I fly or play the french horn. Dad lived large and showed us how to be passionate and how to be committed to something. I am glad to be back in the hobby now that I am retired. I am sure Dad is having sunny flights and happy landings. Love you bro.
Absa-F'n-Lutely!!

I didn't even mention his music Prowess!! lol
One thing I really regret.... is not getting pictures and video of him playing his violin... actually.. one of the sad'est things I think about.. (And I took for granted before) .. is that I will never hear him play his violin again!!!

He left me a message on my voice mail last year on my birthday.. I have saved it and I occasionally listen to it from time to time...