The Scratch Built Foamie Thread

Discussion in 'General Plane Discussion' started by Revy, May 20, 2012.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating using the link above.
  1. May 20, 2012 #1

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

If you have any plans for foamies that are worthy for us to try out, post 'em here.

I'll get things going with this little 5-6 oz 35" Citabria. Cheap too, I have all the gear just laying around after every indoor season, lol. I was looking for something a little more docile than the S'bachs I have going for the young lad for a short trip to the ball diamond for a couple of quick flights. Even on a buddy box, he thinks the bach's are too hot to fly for him now. More on them in a bit. ;)

The build is straight forward and super easy for anyone with flat out kit build experience. RC Groups has a ton of how to stuff so we'll keep stuff short n sweet.

A Park 250/280 w/ a 9-12 amp speed control will pull this along nicely. I'm using a Hacker A10-15s and a CC T-bird 9 in this. 450mAh 2S E-flite batteries, 2 x HS-45s for elevator and rudder and a HS-55 for ailerons. I did enlarge the rudder and elevator a bit on purpose.

Started on it yesterday and got the maiden in today. It's a stable platform for what we intend to use it for and more than agile when the need for some 3D. It will hover. Only had a couple of flights as the first gear set was inadequate...had to beef 'em up as the prop stuck the ground when they flexed.

My 6 yr old will solo tomorrow!:thumbs:

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  2. May 20, 2012 #2

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

He did it!!!! I am one proud Papa!!! Sim time obviously paid off! To see him walk soo tall afterward was priceless!! It's official, he's an R/C pilot now!

Attached Files:

BENCHASON likes this.
  3. May 22, 2012 #3

NUDGE

NUDGE

NUDGE

Yeah Revy Startem young...

My Teenage daughter likes to fly gliders so i bring her to the field only when i fly my gliders.

Hard part is She and my son is mode 2 and i'm mode 1.:willynilly:

4. May 22, 2012 #4

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

He wanted to catch it mid air in a hover when he was done, lol. Reminds me that he watches my every move.

Here is a pic of the little 28" S'bach I'm working on getting into a PDF to share.

The top one is the latest that I'm building for a buddy. His wife wanted a cool B'day present!
    The bottom one has the original 25" on the left that was the basis for the current version. It flies well too, but the mods done to it since make it fly even better. The other one in that shot is now a night flyer with SFG's.

I've had a few of my mentors come back from the flight line with big sh*t eatin grins beggin for more batteries.;)

Attached Files:

BENCHASON likes this.
  5. May 23, 2012 #5

NUDGE

NUDGE

NUDGE

I like em both...waitin for the plans bro..

6. May 24, 2012 #6

AV8TOR

AV8TOR

AV8TOR

No real plans here but I like painting my foamy's to match my larger planes. Here is a Extreme Flight and Slick paint job.

Attached Files:

BENCHASON and GravyGoodness like this.
  7. May 24, 2012 #7

BENCHASON

BENCHASON

BENCHASON

3D Farm Hand

Jason and Av8tor great job guys. Here is a 40 size foamy I built last year, no pic's but check the video at .45 seconds.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYDfxv9YOwo&feature=g-user-u[/ame]

Revy likes this.
  8. May 24, 2012 #8

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

Av8tor, nice work! I wish I had paint skills like that.

Any plans for that one, Ben? That look's like it would be a fun wind dancer! ;)

9. May 24, 2012 #9

BENCHASON

BENCHASON

BENCHASON

3D Farm Hand

It was scratch built from planes of a Hovering Cobra ( the first 3d trainer from the mid nineties). It was a 40 size nitro profile that was suppose to fly like a 30%. I just made the fuse big to hold all the gear.

10. May 24, 2012 #10

BENCHASON

BENCHASON

BENCHASON

3D Farm Hand

11. May 24, 2012 #11

GravyGoodness

GravyGoodness

GravyGoodness

Huck-O-What?

Awesome paint work!! What did you paint them with??

12. May 24, 2012 #12

AV8TOR

AV8TOR

AV8TOR

I used Wicked Colors purchased at your local HobbyLobby store. The templates were just printed on a laser printer generated in cad. Not real hard to do but the cad end really allows you to get it right the first time in proportion.

13. May 25, 2012 #13

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

Here are the plans that I started developing my version with. I had scaled it down to 25" originally and then stretched the fuse and the wing. Basically cutting the wings at the root and moving the tips out and inch and a half, same with the tail section.

Link to the other site. Plans were too big to upload for some reason.

14. May 25, 2012 #14

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

With those same plans and scaling, you can make a micro one out of the UMX jobbies parts. What do you do with M4 Site gear? This...I had this before E-flite came out with the brushless micro.

Attached Files:

15. Nov 2, 2012 #15

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

:biggrin:...and this is what you do when the UMX brushless airframe is ka-putt. 2.5 mm depron J'bach is 1/2oz lighter than the stock one. Think I'll mill the next one.

Attached Files: