The Notorious B.E.N. Flying/Building/Repairing Blog

Discussion in 'Giant RC Plane Forum' started by ben_beyer, May 21, 2019.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating:

1. May 21, 2019 #1

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

I started a similar thread to this one in another forum but it doesn't get a lot of traffic. I think two other people and myself are the ones visiting the forum now lol.

This is basically a "what's going on in the hobby with me" type thread and anyone is free to post questions, comments, or concerns.

I've been in the hobby since I was young but never flew until I was 21 years old 15 years ago. Since then I have been active and transitioned from sport planes thinking a 1.20 size was a big as I would want to go to 30%er's, attempting to build a 39% Dalton Extra 300, to getting in to helis, and now flying helis and pattern. I'm also interested in getting another hotliner or a DLG and possibly also an EDF.

Work and life get in the way of flying at times but I try to make the most of my flying time when I can. Two years ago I started flying pattern and bought a well loved DeJaVu which is the plane I wish I had bought instead of the Dalton kit. IMAC was a lot bigger back then and I wanted to get better and compete.

Pattern has been fun for me but I don't think I'm going to make any contests with my wife's and I second child due in August. Prior to finding out my wife was pregnant, I had made the plunge again after doing a lot of asking questions to both the designer/kitter and research what I could find on the InsightRC Cadence. I won't go too much in to detail but here are a couple links.

Posts will be slow this week since I have travel for work and travel for vacation.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NSkBmTrfGvKQYxTWA

http://www.insightrc.com/insightrc-Cadence-orderpg1.html

2. May 21, 2019 #2

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

I had to add some sheeting to the top of the fuse to raise the turtledeck to where it would meet the vertical stab in the correct place. Last night I removed the tape holding it down, sanded it, and did another dry fit. Now I'm wondering if I need to lower my canopy cores at all. I'll have to pull the piece of lite ply that goes on the back on the canopy tomorrow and take a measurement.

Attached Files:

3. May 30, 2019 #3

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

Long day as I had to get up early to drive about 4 hours to one of our R&D sites, fly the drone to get some data, and then drive back.

I'm working on moving some of my stuff in to the new office so my current workshop area will be free for my son to move in to eventually. I did want to do something for the Cadence though so I checked the alignment between the turtledeck and the canopy with the plywood pieces out of the way and it's pretty close to a straight line.

I then worked on the top sheeting for one of the horizontal stabs/elevators. It turns out the AAA balsa is from Bud Nosen so it's a good source. Just 1 sheet of 1/16"x4"x36" was all it took to create the top right sheeting.

Attached Files:

4. Jun 1, 2019 #4

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

We had a club meeting this morning and had the best turnout since I rejoined the club 2.5 years ago. It seems some of the members were also going to stay and fly but my wife had made other plans for this afternoon. I'm hoping to get out tomorrow to do some flying though.

I was able to work on the Cadence today. I need to spread out part of the turtledeck and so I cut some pieces of the shuck to tape pieces of 1/16" balsa to in order to push the sides out. I do want the pieces to be removable so that's once again another reason to just not use the whole thing. This is also the reason for the tick marks on the fuse and turtledeck. Their purpose is to mark where the former's are. I guess I could just push the shuck piece forward but I'd rather just be able to break it loose.

I've also been thinking about making a tube to run the elevator servos wires in but then I realized I had the phenolic for the replacement wing tube on my DeJaVu. It's pretty light so I'm going to work on some mounts for it and get it installed before I glue on the turtledeck.

I didn't want to be done so I made the other sheet for the left horizontal stab/elevator.

Attached Files:

5. Jun 2, 2019 #5

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

We finally had a nice day when I have time to fly so I took advantage of it. A couple other club members were out too. One was helping our club president who bought a good used pattern plane last fall to get it in the air. It took off and had climbed to a good height before one of the ESC connections failed. It came down in one piece thankfully.

I got 4 flights on the DeJaVu and 2 on the Synergy 516. The club member helping with the pattern plane is the one who helped me get started. After seeing the handling on the DeJaVu he said it looks like I have the CG right and only suggested I adjust my aileron rate. He also gave me some good critiquing. It seems the DeJaVu is flying a lot better now that I've gotten the incidences fixed and trimmed my rudder. I just have to get used to how it should fly when properly setup now.

I also managed to get some work done in the Cadence tonight. I got the top right wing skin made up so now I just need the skins for the left wing and the shark fins.

Attached Files:

6. Jun 6, 2019 #6

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

I set out to work on the mounts for the elevator servo wire tube last night. I came up with a decent design using some 1/4" balsa that pieces are laser cut from. I got everything just about installed and then cracked off a piece of the former by accident. I glued it back in with some thin CA and that's when I realized I need the tube on the other side of the lower former cross member. So I cut the mounts out and I will work on them tonight.

Attached Files:

7. Jun 6, 2019 #7

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

The mounts for the servo wire tube have been corrected. I decided to use a forstner bit for this go around to make a cleaner cut and I had a 7/8" bit which was close to the outer dimension of the tube. The install went a lot better the second go around.

Attached Files:

8. Jun 8, 2019 #8

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

The club had a workday to replace some fencing at the field. It was a good bit of work and thankfully one of the club members brought a tractor with a front end loader to pull out the old posts.

I had other chores to do but also bit the bullet despite being tired and got the servo wire tube for the elevator servos and the turtledeck glued on. I used RC56 (canopy glue) for the tube so maybe it won't break loose if there is any vibration from the motor. For the turtledeck I had to do some adjustment but all-in-all it was pretty easy to get in the correct widths for sections and get it glued down.

Attached Files:

9. Jun 10, 2019 #9

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

I had to make a run to Home Depot for work today so I picked up another bottle of Gorilla Glue. I hope to get the the shark fins sheeted tomorrow but we will see what the day is like.

I did work on the sheeting for the shark fins tonight so all I need to do is spread the glue and get them in the bag. Nothing too major to get these ready, just time taping the sheeting and cutting it.

I also have some parts for the inner shuck stuck in the plane. I glued in a bamboo skewer to see if I can use it to help pull it out. Otherwise I might be breaking out the foam knife again.

20190610_203203.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  10. Jun 11, 2019 #10

Angie

Angie

Angie

Staff Member Admin Moderator

Just to let you know I changed your thumbnail image to full size so it will be easier for everyone to see. I am watching your build.

11. Jun 11, 2019 #11

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

No problem!

The shark fins are in the vacuum bag. I pre-cut the corners this go around because of the number and size of the parts. I was a little nervous about having to do 4 pieces but they are smaller so it wasn't a big deal. I put a glob of glue on 3 of the 4 and then transferred the excess to the fourth sheet.

I was also able to get out the piece of turtledeck shuck. It turns out a piece of tape used to hold the 1/16" balsa to help spread it out got turned around and was sticking pretty good.

20190611_193606.jpg 20190611_200531.jpg 20190611_200542.jpg

12. Jun 12, 2019 #12

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

Work is getting in the way of getting things done again. Regardless I was able to get started on the sheeting for the left wing.

I got the 45's cut in and I need to sand the sheeting edge even. I just didn't feel like doing it tonight so I'll hopefully get to it tomorrow night. 20190612_214042.jpg 20190612_214050.jpg

13. Jun 13, 2019 #13

Angie

Angie

Angie

Thanks for posting this as you go along. I've shared the link on the TFC Facebook page and with a few friends by email. It is interesting to see how you are progressing and all the steps needed.

14. Jun 13, 2019 #14

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

Thanks! I'll have to look for the Facebook group.

I am getting in to a busy time of year at work so we will see if I can keep going at a reasonable level. That's part of the reason I've been working to get some of this done the past 2 weeks.

I finished up the sheeting for the bottom of the left wing tonight and also did the top sheet. I am very low on masking tape so I'll have to get some more.

The next steps for me are to start moving my stuff out of the bedroom I've been using for a workshop to spread it out among the garage and the guest bedroom and also start working on the boxes to mount the servos in the horizontal stabs and wings. 20190613_204930.jpg 20190613_205111.jpg 20190613_212632.jpg 20190613_212819.jpg

15. Jun 14, 2019 #15

Angie

Angie

Angie

16. Jun 18, 2019 #16

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

Just a quick update. I've been working on moving on my stuff to what was and still somewhat our guest bedroom and also the garage. My wife and I need the room for baby #2 coming and we really don't have a lot of guests but still need a bed. So we got a small sleeper sofa and I'm going to have my desk, a rack, and some stuff in the room.

I got the desk moved and somewhat setup and also my wife's sowing desk. I plan on getting a small bookshelf to add to help store a few other things. I found one on Amazon but I need to double check what I will store and the specs since it's a little smaller than I would like.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FQF36J...olid=2D7VD4XD4WYV5&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

[​IMG]

17. Jul 2, 2019 #17

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

I've been tied up with travel for work and working on moving stuff around for our new setup for when baby #2 arrives in 8 weeks. I got my workbench moved in to the garage and a lot of stuff moved to the guest bedroom/office. I need to organize things so my desk isn't as cluttered as it is. Thankfully there's just a few other odds and ends to go through and move which I should be able to get done this coming weekend.

After that I can work on really organizing things and get back to working on the Cadence. I'm going to have to do as much as I can either on at my desk (I.E. building the servo mounting boxes) or on a folding table because the only time I could work on it in the garage would be in the morning hours. Needless to say I am already looking forward to some cooler weather. 20190630_220106.jpg 20190630_220149.jpg

1 person likes this.
  18. Jul 4, 2019 #18

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

19. Jul 7, 2019 #19

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

Well I thought about going flying today and charged up some batteries but was too exhausted to go. I ran out to the field to see if anyone was there and they the gates were locked so probably just as well.

I also thought about working on the servo boxes for the Cadence but instead worked on sorting through stuff and clearing my desk.

I'm going to have to start looking at going flying on Saturday's because flying alone when you're tired isn't that relaxing nor fun.

20. Jul 8, 2019 #20

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

ben_beyer

Well I worked more on cleaning up my desk and putting things away tonight and when I got that done, I started thinking about the servo boxes to build. I think I'm going to copy the Dalton Aviation style but adapt it for my servos. I also pulled out one of the MKS HV69's to take some measurements.

I have to leave yet again for another work trip tomorrow but I'll see if I can make some headway later this week.

20190708_211335.jpg