Super's Pilot 40% Edge 540 Assembly

BillFromPerth

Live to Fly
Congrats on a successful maiden Bill. Looks like next year is going to be a good one in IMAC, Especially now that a few are revved up after the Nationals.

I know where there is an MVVS 116 that became available REAL cheap yesterday - Flying along, the engine made a loud Bang and stopped. When it was landed, the prop was seized solid - and I mean SOLID. Took the jugs off last night to have a look and the plastic filler on the front crank web had come loose. Unfortunately it jammed between the crank and the crankcase and broke the crankcase and the skirt area of one cylinder. This engine came "especially built" from the factory a few months ago and has only got just under 20 hours on it since it was sent to us. (The only modification on it is that I had changed the wrist pin rollers to bronze bushes due to another issue). I don't think these can handle hot weather.

Just needs a new Crankcase, New Cylinder (might as well make it a pair), New piston (make that a pair too), New rings, and some Gaskets and it wil be just like new again - It won't be getting fixed.
Is that the 1 from your yak? wouldn't a be a warrenty job from the factory?
Would it be worth fixing to use in the pitts? or too expensive?

aussiesteve

Yep, the very same one. By the time the parts are purchased, it would be much better use of the funds (and time) to purchase a DA 120 or a 3W 110 (Ernie has got some specials on those c/w cans and headers).
There is no warranty on this one. It is an engine the factory sent me to replace the previous one that had the recurring wrist pin bearing problems. I changed the roller bearings in the wrist pins to bushes (a very successful modification and one I have done on a number of other 116's) on the understanding that it voided the engine warranty by me doing so. Ironically those bushes are about the only parts that would be salvageable from inside the engine.
As the plane was only a backup anyway, the airframe will probably just get hung up without an engine for now and when another engine becomes "airframeless" (usually due to the inertial ground effect) it may get repowered. It was only taken out to be used as a 3D trainer for someone anyway. I still have 2 of the same airframe powered by BME 116 and DA 120 so it is not as if it was needed for anythign in particular.

I think that particular model of engine just doesn't like the Perth Summer weather (what was it on Sunday? - about 32 degrees C) so I will just give up on them. Meanwhile my 26's, 40's, 50's, 58's and 80's of the same source still run fine for now.

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
The more I work on my Sukhoi the more I think I have lost my marbles. I am now in the process of making a set of canisters out of art paper to see if they will fit before I buy them as the fit is going to be real tight. Me, paper and Scotch tape do not go well together. Oh well I will get them done and do a mock up and see how they fit.

aussiesteve

The more I work on my Sukhoi the more I think I have lost my marbles. I am now in the process of making a set of canisters out of art paper to see if they will fit before I buy them as the fit is going to be real tight. Me, paper and Scotch tape do not go well together. Oh well I will get them done and do a mock up and see how they fit.
If you find that the mockup doesn't go in easily and that your arm is sore in the process - untape them from your arms and they may go in easier :biggrin:

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
Just finished the mock up. The front exits I wanted to use won't fit good, but the rear exit version will fit perfect. Guess I need to give Gerhard a call in the morning.

aussiesteve

All the ones I have seen (3 in total now) have all had rear exit cans. I guess that is why.
Do the front exits miss because of the dpeth from the tunnel to the bottom of the cowl or is there another reason?

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
It will be close for depth at the front plus they would be a bit more difficult to get in. The problem stems from the size of cans required with the 210. With a 170 or a quad it is no problem.

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
There is only so much room in front of the wing tube and they won't fit under it due to the height of the gear block.

aussiesteve

D'oh - I forgot about the 80 / 85mm diameter of the XL 150's. :banghead:

Same issue I had with my one of a different brand. I ended up going to "compact mufflers" for that as the noise wasn't an issue for me on it.

I guess you'll just have to go for the KS 1090's (Mmmmm - power) :biggrin:

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
The 3w cans are too long. I probably could have got the 1090's to fit but have read reports of them not working well on the 210. I am going with KS 106 S5 cans. They are 90mm diameter. The fitment to go under the wing tube and over the gear block is about 65mm

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
Yup at the post office buried in Christmas gifts somewhere. It came in Friday night. Hopefully I will get it tomorrow. They are severely under staffed up here.

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
Condensed version
170 is underpowed on this plane.
I gave up on getting the DA200.
3W240 is a tight fit.
Looked at ZDZ 210 but ZDZ has a history of poor contact and hard to get parts.
I am nervous about Mintor with all that has been going on with their singles and wondering if it has carried on into the 220.
Running out of options I went with a 210CSTS. Not high HP but a torque monster. Likes a 34x12 to 34x14 once broke in.

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
Steve here are how the KS 95 cans fit. The 106 cans are the same length but are 90mm in diameter instead of 75mm. Also the outlet pipe is 20mm instead of 18mm.

Attachments

BillFromPerth

Live to Fly
Condensed version
170 is underpowed on this plane.
I gave up on getting the DA200.
3W240 is a tight fit.
Looked at ZDZ 210 but ZDZ has a history of poor contact and hard to get parts.
I am nervous about Mintor with all that has been going on with their singles and wondering if it has carried on into the 220.
Running out of options I went with a 210CSTS. Not high HP but a torque monster. Likes a 34x12 to 34x14 once broke in.
I have seen a ZDZ 210 perform in a 3.3m carf yak and was way underpowered he changed to a 3w 210 and even on run in fuel had alot more power

BillFromPerth

Live to Fly
Steve i heard a roumor the other day that Eddie is no longer the agent for 3w?
Just wondering if you heard anything?
also what do you think about the old 3w 150 for power and reliability? I seen 1 advertised rebuilt with walbro carb and DA ignition for $475 au