Super's Pilot 40% Edge 540 Assembly

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
See how fast I can get this baby put togther and then I can set my sights on getting my Sukhoi done.
Here is a breakdown of equipment I am using:

Pilot 40% Edge 540 Gshock scheme
GP-176 engine
MTW headers
KS 95 canisters
Smartfly EQ6 Turbo w/ ign shutoff
Futaba 6008HS 2.4
Futaba 9157 servos on controls
Futaba 3050 on throttle
Truturn 5" Ultimate
J&J tailwheel
Robart 5" 10 spoke wheels
5200mah Lithium Ion batteries
Secraft 1.75" servo arms on rudder, Futaba 1.5" elsewhere
Dubro 60 oz tank
Secraft aluminum tank stopper
Viton tank tubing
Thunderbolt Multi servo harness
 

Attachments

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
So far I re-shrunk the covering on everything except the wings which I will do in the morning. Right now I am just about to seal the gap on the elevators. I am going to use Blenderm tape for the first time and see how I like it. Should be faster than cutting up strips of Ultracote and ironing them in.
 

Attachments

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
Dinner update. Both wings are re-shrunk, hinge gaps sealed with Blenderm tape and the horns epoxied in with 30 minute epoxy. For those that haven't built with these style horns be sure to sand the part that gets glued into the control surface and then clean with alcohol for a good bond. I am just getting ready to install the servos and set up the throws and end points. The first picture that shows the root of the wing is to show the ring of wood where the servo wires exit. Tony came up with the idea to have the ring there to anchor the leads to so they don't fall into the wing when it is stood on end.
 

Attachments

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
These should give you a pretty good idea. The Edge is usually a 3D animal.

[ame]http://youtu.be/jMFwRrUwnLQ[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/G2HvzIsjKD4[/ame]
 

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
Anyways the wings are completed and back in the wing bags. I am sure liking these 9157's. Very fast, center well and quiet. Tomorrow I will start on the fuselage beginning with the engine and canister install. Just by chance it turned out by using the inner hole on the inboard horn and the middle horn on the outboard horn the travels worked out exactly the same. The first wing I never had to touch the end points as the servos were silent in both directions. The second wing required just a very slight adjustment. The geometry worked out awesome.
 

Attachments

Classclown

Well-Known Member
Doug, since this is the first time you've used blenderm tape, stand the wing up with the tip on the bottom, wick thin CA on both edges of the tape, Let it run down the edges. After a season or two of flying, the edges pull up, then dirt and grass gets all stuck on them. Same way to keep monokote trim from peeling off.
 

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
Here are two pics I should post. These are the T-Bolt multi servo harnesses I referred to in my first post. They are made from Ashlok connectors for how ever many servos you have in your wing. When you assemble at the field there is no fooling around with which extension goes where. Just plug them in and go, the bonus is they lock together. The ends go permanently into your Rx or power board and the other ends onto your servo leads. The ones I have for my 47% Decathlon have four sets of leads on each plug. Three for ailerons and one for flaps.
 

Attachments

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
Not the most productive day today. I slept in a bit and I had to go out for a bit. Anyways I have the firewall all installed and the horns installed in the rudder. To get the spacing I wanted behind the cylinders I had to move the firewall back some and then cut the front end off. Just a little time consuming making sure everything is plumb and working with 30 minute epoxy is a bit slow. The last picture is an example of how much of a mess I made.
 

Attachments

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
Couple more pics from the cowl and engine installation today.
First off I mounted the cowl and taped the halves together. Marked off where the holes needed to go and started drilling. The first picture is after I finished putting in the screws and pulled the tape off. Then I removed the top section and stood the fuselage on end in the entrance way where I could position the engine to check and see if where I marked the firewall for the bolts was correct. Turned out my marks where only about 1/32" off. I would have liked to move it upwards about 1/32" but the spacers hit the triangular stock at the top of the firewall and I didn't feel like notching them out. I still haven't decided if I will go the extra mile and install blind nuts in the cowl or just use the wood blocks and screws they provide.
Next up I guess I will install the ignition system and switch, Smartrly board and then rudder servos and rudder.
 

Attachments

Top