St. Louis HuckFest

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
Well... this weekend, we pull off for St. Louis.
PlaneBender and myself are taking the road trip with our planes and
Rockies plane and Bill's (I don't know his screen name?) plane.
2200 miles each way... woo whoo!!!

I will have my 'puter so maybe I can get some work done and I will
post updates as opportunity presents itself.

After today I will mostly be out of touch 'cept for the occasional log in.

TManiaci

Engineer
Lifetime Supporter
Did you remember your vid camera? We expect a first class video of the event with all that time you'll have on teh drive home...

Ground Pounder

Mith, I have been doing the AW 85 cc Yak thread for the last couple of weeks. Going to try and wrap it up before we head to St Louis. Looking forward to it as long as we fly and not have to worry about manning the bilge pumps with all of the flooding. I was in St Louis in 93 or 94 when they had the flooding last time. A major mess.

Bill

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
Mith, I have been doing the AW 85 cc Yak thread for the last couple of weeks. Going to try and wrap it up before we head to St Louis. Looking forward to it as long as we fly and not have to worry about manning the bilge pumps with all of the flooding. I was in St Louis in 93 or 94 when they had the flooding last time. A major mess.

Bill
Apparently the alternative site is more better and dry and closer to where Dave and I are staying!!!

If not.. we will just have to find some RC Mayhem along the way!!

JBenson

Circus Staff
I love my AW Yak Ground Pounder. I will be moving the build thread from it over here in the next week or so.

JB

Ground Pounder

Have a great trip you guys, I don't envy you your drive.
Dave and Mith are doing the hard work. +4000 miles together in the truck. I am flying there on Thursday. Flying back Sunday evening. I've done enough driving and business travel over the years and being able to do it in 1/2 a day is worth the extra cost.

The three of us are meeting up tomorrow afternoon to fly at the Mather field for a while and then load my bird into Dave's trailer. With the amount of stuff that Dave is going to haul, this could end up looking a bit like Chevy Chase and his family vacation trip to Wally World...... with grandma in her rocker straped to the top of the truck.

GmanBIll

Last year my trailer alone got 30 thousand mikes around the USA doing most of the events. This year with getting the AMA show team together I decided to stay on this side of the Rockies except for one trip to Oklahoma that I will do the 29th of this month. This trip will only have planes in it coming back, and those will be in the back of my truck because the trailer will be full of furniture and boxes from moving my mom home.

Doing the trips from here I had found that if you leave real early (I used to pull out at 4AM, less traffic and cool in the desert) you can pull to Santa Rosa New Mexico in the first day, and the second evening pull in to St Louis without a strain. Remember once you get out of Ca, you can run 75 and 70 the rest of the trip. The best stations to fuel up at are the Petro stations because they try to keep there prices low and they are spaces about each average fuel run (300 or so miles). the biggest plus is the one on the other side of the Ca. border at the Havisu exit is usually $2 a gallon cheaper than filling up on the Ca. side of the state line.

I do have a thing I have been wanting to do on one of the big trips crossing the states which is, stop on the frontage road by each state line, pull a plane out and hover it by each state boarder crossing sign. The hardest one I thing will be the one crossing the Colorado River on the 40, after that the rest would be pretty easy, The down point to doing that is the tickets I would probably get doing the photo series, but maybe I could make it in to a calender and offset my cost of the tickets and fines by selling them. While Mike and Sully are making the drive they will see what I mean about the state signs and how cool some of the locations would be in a pic with a 40 hovering around the sign.

AV8R

I live in St. Louis. About 1/2 hour from the field the Huckfest is being held at. A DNR Engineer said that the field should remain dry. The river is supposed to crest tomorrow. (Fingers crossed!) Hope no levees break!!

Ground Pounder

Thanks for the update. Three of us are headed your way and we have the obvious concern with the weather and water levels.

Ground Pounder

Mith hit SActo at 3:30 this morning. Both Mith and Planebender got to the Mather field for a check flight at 11:00 and were able to enjoy the 103 degree temperature. Later this month it will start to get hot around here so we try to enjoy the "nice" weather while it lasts.

Attachments

Ground Pounder

Probably a rumor started by those who are jealous of his awesome talent and incredible humility. However I believe that the answer is yes.

Gmoney

Circus Staff
anymore pics from the event? NO offense but I have seen those guys before.. any talent out there? Other than Mith and Bender of course.