Spektrum Crash Log, Post Crash Experiences Here

arrowhandair

Not to be rude but in that video my eyes see the antenna pointing down. Now according to Spektrum the antenna should be in the up position then bent back one position towards you. And like any other radio on the market there is that 1% room thati mentioned that is for equipment failure. There is a friend of mine in the club who crashed 4 planes this past year do to failure of a Futaba radio. It was sent back to their service dept. to be checked over. The service dept found that the radio was going in and out of failsafe mode. Wow a Futaba can you believe that the Futaba guy's won't but that's the facts. Oh another thing brownouts make me laugh I have talked to many guy's with ni cad or nimh haven't charged their batteries for 2 to 3 weeks and then come to the field to fly are you kidding me charge those batteries each time right before you fly brownouts eliminated. Spektrum the most sold radios out there. If the radio was not good enough to use for my giant aircraft would not be definitely good enough to fly my foamies or park models IMO. There are those who don't keep up on proper battery maintenance and there are many. Those who have crashes using receivers that are damaged etc. So whether you use Spektrum , Futaba, Airtronics, or JR they are all good radios. But if you think one brand is better than the other you haven't done your homework.
exactly, I just commented with similar. I also get tired of hearing about people crashing giant scale airplanes and losing a lot of money because of spectrum. Then you find out that their ignition and receiver we're on nickel metal or NiCad batteries. You're going to blame the receiver for you cheaping out on your batteries? Anyone that's flying giant scale and not using life or lipos, hate to say it but deserve what they get

red7fifty

BadAss Member
I'll use a bunch of those cheap $20 FASST versions, on little dispensable foamy's or, Foam EDF, an occasional "On Sale" nitro warbird......but, only after proper range check, and verification of normal operation. If it shows any problem, I won't use it.
That should be golden, in all our planes....if it doesn't work right, don't expect it to get better in the air, fix it on the ground first!
(That's actually a line that I read 30+ years ago, from a SIG instruction manual)
I suppose to this day, that philosophy stays with me.
It pisses people off, that have the "It's fine, go fly it" mentality.

red7fifty

BadAss Member
I've flown Giant Scale for a long time, on 6V Nicad.
I always LOAD test, and know my discharge curves on a weekly/monthly basis.
Nicad Normally show signs of deterioration, and don't have sudden complete failure, unless it's a broken wire, or connector, which would be a manufacture problem, or an installation issue (wires flopping around)
As pilots/owners/builders, we have to know that our equipment is working as it should be.
That is why, maintenance, and Pre-Flight checks are important.

kwilson

Gold Member
I'll use a bunch of those cheap $20 FASST versions, on little dispensable foamy's or, Foam EDF, an occasional "On Sale" nitro warbird......but, only after proper range check, and verification of normal operation.
Careful, some may accuse you of being STUPID.

kwilson

Gold Member
I lost my ParkZone T28 to a lockout last weekend. Had a Spektrum 6100e receiver that is now in the trash. Not a great loss since I paid $50 RTF, but still sucks. At least its repairable...

mustang

Being new to the 2.4 systems I am gathering all the info I can get
I have seen a futaba radio fail while the plane was in the air I have
Seen a spectrum fail while doing a range check it makes me
Wonder if any of these radios have been dropped or subjected
To extreme heat that could have caused any type of failure
Or could it be a bad solder joint some place either way it's a
Communication problem between TX and the RX I don't think that
There is any better radio system that is any better than the other
I just hope that I don't have any problems with my new DX8

kwilson

Gold Member
Good point. My receiver had been crashed at least once previously by dumb thumbs, but I don't think that caused the lockout. This was a processor issue I believe. The orange light was on steady, not flashing, and the data port was read as all zeros meaning no recorded frame losses, fades, or holds. That combination should not have occurred IMO.

mustang

Ok guys maybe some one out there can shed some light on
A rumor that I herd airtronics , JR, and
Spectrum are either going out of business or are getting
Bought out
Anybody know ???????

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!
Airtronics is out of business. JR and Spektrum have parted ways. JR has their own protocol called DMSS. It is awesome! I have felt the difference!

mustang

That's to bad that airtronics is out of business I've used airtronics for
Years . So does any one know if spectrum is going out of business or are
They going to keep doing thier own thing ??

mustang

Thanks Bunky I've got a DX 8 that has not been used I'd like
To put it in a seafury hope it works ok

kwilson

Gold Member
I'm still using DSM2 with my JR 11x. Never a problem with the protocol, especially now that everyone else is hopping.

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!
On the face of the radio, it will show DSM2 or DSMX.

I keep my OG DX7 around along with my 11X. Just for troubleshooting sake. :)