Spektrum Crash Log, Post Crash Experiences Here

BRUTUS

Plank Junky
Lifetime Supporter
The new protocols seem to work fine, but wrektum has had... 3? 4? Basically non compatible versions that forced people to buy new rx's every time a new system came out. That's the part that sticks in the craw. If that makes sense. I'm happy flying fool-blah blah radios lol!

Bought my Spektrum DX8 in May of 2011. I have had zero failures. Each new model airplane gets its own receiver, either a AR7000 series or a AR8000 receiver. Transmitter is up to date on downloads for firmware. Fifteen airplanes in my hanger and all are controlled via the DX8.

griesel

I lost a plane in 2009. I forgot which model. Transmitter was a spektrum DX7
The plane was about 200 ft agl and 800 ft distance. About the same month a
friend lost his in the same corner of the field using another DX7. In the New
Zealand RC Model Reviews the problem was fully explained. They changed the
modulation scheme in the DX7S and I have not heard about any problems since.
I have been using Hitec Aurora 9 and 9x for about 4 years now without any problem.
I have just bought a DSM2 only DX6I for use with a Vapor and I
do not expect any problems indoors or close in outside.

fsone

Hey red7 fifty check out your video your antennae is pointed at the ground i'm surprised it flew at all. What do you expect when your signal is going to the ground. It's obvious you have damaged the antennae it doesn't even go in that direction. How many others out there don't know how to use their equipment properly?

Last edited:

red7fifty

BadAss Member
Hey red7 fifty check out your video your antennae is pointed at the ground i'm surprised it flew at all. What do you expect when your signal is going to the ground. It's obvious you have damaged the antennae it doesn't even go in that direction. How many others out there don't know how to use their equipment?
Which video are you referring to?

fsone

P40 Warhawk crash. Take a very close look when you first walk into the camera lens. Look at where the antennae is pointed.

fsone

I have used DX7 for 4yrs and have a DX8 I have used now for 4yrs coming up to five never have had an issue. I fly mostly giant aircraft belong to 2 clubs in both these clubs 90% of radios Spektrum no issues from these radios. I travel to events every year see very few crashes at events. And the ones that have occurred were witnessed were due to pilot error. I see people equipment on this site with scratches etc. 99% of the problems which people don't want to tell you pilot error, neglect of equipment, not reading the manual therefore not knowing about their use of the equipment following procedures.

kwilson

Gold Member
looks to me like the antenna was pointing out to the side, which is just fine. If you know how radio waves propagate, then you would be well aware that even if your antenna is pointing down, it is ok. I fly like that all the time with my JR system and have very few fades. The worst thing you can do is point your antenna at the plane! As I said, I fly JR and have used Spektrum in the past, now only on foamies. After I was able to isolate servo jumping to a 9 channel Spektrum receiver by thumping it, I swore them off. Not sure exactly why JR is better using the "same technology" but it sure is.

fsone

Not to be rude but in that video my eyes see the antenna pointing down. Now according to Spektrum the antenna should be in the up position then bent back one position towards you. And like any other radio on the market there is that 1% room thati mentioned that is for equipment failure. There is a friend of mine in the club who crashed 4 planes this past year do to failure of a Futaba radio. It was sent back to their service dept. to be checked over. The service dept found that the radio was going in and out of failsafe mode. Wow a Futaba can you believe that the Futaba guy's won't but that's the facts. Oh another thing brownouts make me laugh I have talked to many guy's with ni cad or nimh haven't charged their batteries for 2 to 3 weeks and then come to the field to fly are you kidding me charge those batteries each time right before you fly brownouts eliminated. Spektrum the most sold radios out there. If the radio was not good enough to use for my giant aircraft would not be definitely good enough to fly my foamies or park models IMO. There are those who don't keep up on proper battery maintenance and there are many. Those who have crashes using receivers that are damaged etc. So whether you use Spektrum , Futaba, Airtronics, or JR they are all good radios. But if you think one brand is better than the other you haven't done your homework.

Last edited:

kwilson

Gold Member
Well my eyes clearly see it pointing to the side and slightly up. Either way, at his close range, THAT didn't cause his crash. Not sure what did, but it wasn't loss of signal because the antenna was pointing the wrong way. I have flown all 3 major brands and would happily switch to Fatuba if I felt there was a compelling reason. I really like the feel of my 11x and will stick with it because it works and because JR receivers have given me exactly zero problems. I was simply stating Spektrum receivers have given me problems (in two separate instances I might add).

BTW I switched from Futaba to JR because when I was in the market, Futaba was having over heating lockout issues with their receivers and I live in FL where internal temps can easily exceed 120F.

fsone

I went back to the picture again and blew it up yes you are right it is off to the side I apologize for that error. But I still stand on my position that antenna is still in wrong position. And on all the other statements I have made. And lets face the facts if Spektrum is having so many more problems than other manufactures they would be out of business would they not? I have 3 Futaba radios sitting collecting dust . I switched from Futaba to Spektrum almost nine yrs ago. I had trouble with one of my Futabas having RF interference did that make Futaba a bad brand of course not they make good radios. Why did I change because of the innovations Spektrum had and the price was great . They all have had issues lets stop the propaganda that causes brand wars. Spektrum is as good a radio as any other including JR. And like I said if my radio was not good enough to fly my giant aircraft I would definitely not be using it for my foamies or park models. Why are you still using Spektrum for your other park fliers? Sorry I don't get it.

Last edited:

kwilson

Gold Member
No propaganda here and definitely not trying to start a brand war. Just relating my honest experience. The reason I will use Spektrum receivers in my park flyers is they are cheap and plentiful and the planes are what I consider expendable whereas my $8,000 IMAC plane is not. Even if I were to by a brand new $3,000 radio, I would first install it in an inexpensive plane to make sure I have no problems.

fsone

Quote The reason I will use Spektrum receivers in my park flyers is they are cheap and plentiful and the planes are what I consider expendable whereas my $8,000 IMAC plane is not. And you still complain about Spektrum equipment crashing your planes, yet you continue to use Spektrum Receivers yep that makes sense to me. The fact is that you are still using Spektrum Equipment in your park models, Yet you will not use in your giant aircraft models. This is a hypocritical statement. If you really believe what you say you would STOP using all Spektrum equipment period. It's obvious common sense does not rule in your world.

Last edited:

kwilson

Gold Member
That's the STUPIDEST answer I have ever heard!! Quote The reason I will use Spektrum receivers in my park flyers is they are cheap and plentiful and the planes are what I consider expendable whereas my $8,000 IMAC plane is not. And you still complain about Spektrum equipment crashing your planes, yet you continue to use Spektrum Receivers yep that makes sense to me. Have you lost your mind!
And that is about the RUDEST response you could have posted. If you care to read my posts without getting emotional, you would notice that I NEVER claimed to have crashed a plane from Spektrum products, just that I believe they are not built to the same standards as JR (my opinion). I state this because I have had 2 receivers that would make servos jump if I thumped them. If you think that means I have lost my mind, so be it. If you have any more idiotic observations about me then you can go fuk yourself.

red7fifty

BadAss Member
Deep breath.
I just wanted to group together failures.
I once bought a cheap Futaba 2.4 car radio (FHSS), the rx browned out on the work bench from just 1 standard servo......it quickly got sent back.
I recently purchased a Sanwa 2.4 car radio, steering wheel potentimeter is out of calibration.....haven't had a chance to test out the rest, due to issue. So that is gone.
The biggest problem I am seeing, is when some people (regardless of brand) has equipment that shows a problem, they keep on using it, expecting a different result.

I have a friend that bought a cheap 9 channel radio, it got a lot of good reviews online....his particular transmitter, reversed elevator in flight! And randomly on boot up, flips the digital display, upside down, or boots up in Chinese!

Like Kwilson said, I have to have complete faith in my $8K airplane's hardware.

I've seen a lot of other pilots, fly iffy set ups, or "It only glitches sometimes"....those, are not air worthy, in my opinion (Or fact) you pick.

Last Sunday, I continued to fly my crashed foamy inside the gym, with pieces of foam breaking off....there is a level of common sense, that should be followed by all RC pilots.

red7fifty

BadAss Member
FSone, No one here is tying to be-little you, (at least I am not) or insult your equipment. I think I tried to make that clear from the beginning.
Maybe I should have titled this thread, as "Log your radio failures" instead of singling out one particular brand. For that, I am guilty.
It just happened, coincide or whatever, that I was seeing a host of crashes during that time, that seemed odd.
Of course, those that fly the cheap Orange RX, does raise an eyebrow.
Just as a video I saw on youtube, where a Generic Futaba 2.4, would have difficultly finding bind in a crowded environment when the Host TX link was shut down. The Genuine Futaba 2.4 RX would relink in a crowded airwaves environment, but the generic would not, until the surrounding TXs where powered down.
And, there was a problem a few years ago, with Futaba 2.4 Fasst overheating.....that is the kind of example I was looking for. I purchased my 2.4 system, after that problem period, but, had I been one of the early guys, I would want to collect data, to figure out a problem, or see a trend.
I know that Spectrum had low voltage brownout problem, and lots of guys in my club sent RX's back for replacement, which Horizon took care of.
But, if no one talked about it, who would have known?

arrowhandair

Unfortunately a lot of people mistakenly blame a Spektrum receiver, on a loss of signal issue. A large majority of these claims are in actuality, low battery voltage as well as faulty batteries. I have personally witnessed people blame spektrum, only to find out they put a non charged battery in the airplane.just saying

kwilson

Gold Member
Red brings up a good point about Orange aftermarket cheap Chinese receivers too. I have also witnessed bind problems with those, although I have never used one.