Spektrum Crash Log, Post Crash Experiences Here

red7fifty

BadAss Member
First off, let me make this clear, this thread is NOT intended to be a brand war, nor a slam on the Spektrum brand. It is meant to gather evidence on both user/set up error, AND, Quality Control problems.

I've heard too many stories of unexplained crashes, due to unbind, brownout, loss of range, etc, and would like to gather as many instances together for analysis. It is great, that Horizon Hobby has been taking care of customer support, identifying faulty receivers, and replacing them for their customers....but, that does not UNDO the crash from occurring.....a little too late, when that brand new plane hits the dirt.

Many brand loyal users continue to use the product, with sucess.....while others, sell off and either go with a different brand, or, leave the hobby all together (which is sad), but the feeling of helplessness, when that new bird loses control, due to no fault of the builder or pilot, is a hard one to get over.
I've heard such claims by users....that it works 98% (flawlessly) of the time, but, the huge number of scattered stories of failures........2% not working right...is a poor statistic, especially, if it happens/ed to you. (Or me, standing nearby!)

Please post your experiences if you've encountered loss of signal, crashes, etc.

aussiesteve

Well let me start by saying that the failure rate depends a lot on which oil is used. In fact the brand of oil is even way more important than the ratio used. Then there are the color scheme choices next.

Now Radios. I haven't owned a recent Spektrum radio and in fact the only one I did own was a DX5 a long time ago. I have however used the Spektrum 2.4g conversion on a 9303 and have owned a 12X for quite a while. Needless to say, My favorite planes are on my Futaba Radios and the only ones on the 12X are some cheapies.

The brownouts of a few years ago were largely caused by a low voltage condition coupled with a long reboot time. Many people at the time switched to 2.4 from their PCM / FM units and didn't upgrade their battery packs to a higher voltage (Many kept their 4 cell NiMh's). This led to a low voltage causing the Rx to go off line and reboot - which led to a smear along the final "Landing zone". I know I lost one plane due to this.

Now, the reboot is much faster plus the programming seems to be a lot more flexible to allow the Rx to stay on line for longer.

After Losing 3 planes in a very short time due to Radio "glitches", I changed brands. Those crashes have never been explained as I had the good batt packs, I had as many Satellite Receivers as possible installed and I had a data logger in each plane which only showed the data dropping at about the same time frame as the crash occured. The crashes were cool to watch though - I was told that by spectators of 2 of them and I witnessed one myself as my Son was flying my Ultra-Stick 1.20 at the time (They make a really good smear along the ground).

So make sure it is a greenish / reddish colored oil that comes in a compositebalsa container and you wil be good to go.

N726AC

100LL User
Several years ago, Horizon had a mass T-28 fly at the Joe Nall event. I think there were 80+ of 'us' flying in the gaggle plus the others doing their thing at JN. I did have issues and lost the plane but it was an interesting experience. This was before DSM2 and DSM-X protocols. I have also had brown out issues that were of my own doing, not the fault of Sprectrum or JR. Spectrum addressed the brownout issue with quick linking receivers for us dumb-asses.
Now in the modern era of 2.4 Sprectrum, I have had zero issues. Not to suggest that Sprectrum is infallible, but it is good stuff. Saying that, I do think that Futaba has the strongest 'link' available off the shelf. Saying that, I recently had an unexplained crash with a new high end Futaba radio. Was it the radio?? That is a question that can plague any brand.

fsone

Oh Oh look out for arrows from the Futaba guy's.What you are saying will be impossible in their eyes.

red7fifty

BadAss Member
Had to post this.....Plane Dumps at 2:38, and Check out 2:55

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSlehcBuebY[/ame]

red7fifty

BadAss Member
And, this one had to hurt! S hit....I feel bad for the guy.
But, if you look at the end.......check out the logo on his jacket.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRkMtSbqMIs[/ame]

red7fifty

BadAss Member
Here are a few more examples.....they are NOT isolated cases.....it's just isolated that they get filmed, and not "Covered Up" by "User or Set Up error"

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOvB8sR6Z4I[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSsrMreTfvM[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XneK0jUPlAw[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEODpJYI7r0[/ame]

Steve Graham

Hejus Fookin Christo fellas,

Give it a break already. Been flying Spektrum for nearly 8 years and not a single glitch. YMMV or perhaps you just suck at letting a dead dog die. :rolleyes2:

red7fifty

BadAss Member
Lol, Not everyone that smokes cigarettes will develop cancer either, but odds are.....
Don't agree, then post as many Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics, JR signal loss videos you can find.

Steve Graham

If I had a bad personal experience with something, and I have from time to time I'd throw in my two cents as a form of helping my fellow modelers as they face their own decisions. Mounting a Crusade and making it my lifes work trying to prove how good or bad any given brand may be is not my idea of time well spent but as I said YMMV. The simple fact is the vast majority of claimed Spektrum problems, the ones you posted included, fall far short of the bar required to provide real forensic evidence of fault.

Didn't mean to ruin your fun.

Go ahead and continue bashing away. You seem to value the time you put into it and it makes you happy so I was wrong to try and dissuade you.

I won't bother you again with any of my personal experiences on this matter.

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!
I really wish he would quit trolling. Sheite happens. Rx battery could have died, elevator linkage could have come undone or possibly broken, or you even REMOTELY think about pilot error on his part?? Hence what his description was.

Futaba crashed my friends airplane, 3 years ago at a major event. He said the tail broke, but I'm going with the radio. See how easy that was for me to blame the radio.

Crawl back under your rock.

mustang

I watched one of my buddy's have a problem with a spectrum DX18
It lost its programming luckly it was on the ground when it happened
And after that the TX would not hold any programming so it got the
Boot out the door he traded it in on a futaba hopefully he has no more
Problems . Just before all this happened I purchased a DX8 now it makes me wonder
If I made the right choice

fsone

.Check out what looks to be a scratch on the screen. Who knows besides rx failure to .low battery or tx battery low including pilot error. Is it possible tx has been dropped causing damage??? I have a DX8 used for 4 yrs not a problem of any kind I fly mostly giant aircraft. Oh and by the way I have a DX7 as well have been using it seven yrs now have never had an issue.

Last edited:

mustang

fsone , that's awesome to here I havent put my DX 8 in anything yet so
I can't be a judge of the DX8 I will find out when I get my seafury done