Sonic Cleaning and Nail Polish?

ben_beyer

I'm about to get my Brillelli 60cc running again. I inspected the ring gap and I think it's acceptable (around 0.014").

When I rebuilt the carb (Walbro), I removed the welsh plug and put a new one in. I used nail polish around the edge per Walbro recommendation before finding out they don't recommend that anymore because of ethanol in the fuel. Would sonic cleaning the carb remove the nail polish or do I need to pull the welsh plug, clean the nail polish by hand, and install a welsh plug?

aussiesteve

It depends on what fluid is used in the Sonic Cleaner.
Acetone? - it definitely will work (beware, some cleaners won't like solvents in them).
Glycols - possibly
Water based - probably not.

Try it and see if it works - there is no harm in it if it doesn't do the job.

psycho-patch

Get some acetone. If available use a professional carb cleaner equipment that agitates. Disassemble the carb, NO rubber or plastic pieces, submerge the carb in acetone. By the way, acetone is pretty toxic and the fumes will get to you. I put a cover over the metal bowl for soaking and take it outside to sit on the driveway. Let it sit in there for a few minutes, soaking. Take it out and remove the welch plug. Soak the carb again for a few minutes. Take it back out, blow it all out completely along with all the passages. Inspect carb for small debris and nail polish residue. If ok, assemble carb. If not repeat above till clean. When assembling carb. make sure to wet the pump. Reinstall to engine. Fire it up. Set and fly.

ben_beyer

Well, while removing the welsh plug I did a little damage near one of the ports on the carb on accident in the area covered by the welsh plug. Seeing as how Valley View has a Walbro replacement carb for the DLE 55 for $50. I'm just going to buy a new one and not worry about any of this.

BVargas

3W Flyer
Ultra Sonic Cleaning,,, fill it with water. Put part(s) in a small glass container with your favorite chemical cleaning agent. Turn on machine and check it every few mins until its cleaned up to your satisfaction. Do Not Put Plated parts into an Ultra Sonic Cleaning machine because the plating will Disintegrate.

ben_beyer

I got a Walbro carb for a DLE 55 from Valley View. From what I read, people had a better experience with this carb on the 50+ cc engines and it's a direct replacement for what was in there. I'm going to work on a test stand to mount the motor to so maybe I can run it on Sunday or the following weekend.