Solar powered vent/fan for trailer?

JeffinTD

Has anyone tried one of the solar fan roof vents on their airplane trailer?

If so, what unit did you install, and did you get a decent temp drop?

3dnfool

I have and I bought it at lowes up here in Canada.it works great and dropped the temperature by 20 degrees.i had one also in another trailer I previously owned.i also put ultra coat 1000 roof sealer in the white colour which also helped by keeping the temperature down even more.i bought the roof sealer from lowes.i put one inch foamboard bought from home depot which also helps with temp control and it looks pretty good.heres a pic of the solar fan I used,hope this helps.marc.

Attachments

JeffinTD

Wow that looks nice.

I went ahead and ordered a solar fan.

I don't want to stick a lot of money on this, as it is a beat up used trailer I don't plan to keep forever.

If it were a nice one I intended to keep for a while I might consider the insulation job and maybe a maxxair turbomaxx, along with a more serious solar panel.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. The vent I ordered is about like yours. I didn't know if it would be enough to make much of a difference, but it sounds like its worth doing.

3dnfool

yes its worth the money and helps pull the heat out of the trailer,glad I could help you out.

JeffinTD

Yeah, I think for not too much money I can reduce temps in there pretty good. It often gets over 100 here, and it isn't handy for me to take the planes in.

Today I added some vents low on the rear door. I figure I'll have the power fan set to exhaust on the front roof, so that should give me some cross flow.

Grills on the inside for cosmetics.

For cheap galvanized vents, I don't think they look too bad.

JeffinTD

Thanks.

I now know the answer to the question: will a rotozip saw slice through the wall of a metal skinned trailer...

Tired Old Man

Staff member
A metal skinned trailer can be cut with a sharp bread knife;) There's not much to them really. Good call with the low louvers. If you end up with too much cell capacity to drive a single fan you could take it a step further and use another fan to draw cooler air in at the louvers which would develop a forced circulation to push the hotter air out the top. harbor freight has a whole bunch of different and cheap solar cell solutions. Keep some screen on the inside of those vents. Hornets love little entry doors for home making.

JeffinTD

Thanks. The lower vents have screens built in and I'll be sure the upper one does too.

The solar roof vent arrived today. I'm not overly impressed after getting to lay hands on it. I'm sure it is a fraction of a watt.

I haven't decided if I want to install it, or if I'll put some other vent on it. Maybe an RV fridge vent, computer type fan, and cheap solar cell.