SF Newbie

NUDGE

Hi Guys,

Need help on SF setup.

I'm planning on building a OMP Edge540 50cc soon an would like to set it up with a SF system. What would be ideal?

Looking at either the SF ExpanderSport Plus, Expander Pro or System Plus. It all looks the same to me so now i'm confused.

Planning on using all HV servos or is this stupid if i use the SF?
Next option is Using 7965s on Ail, 7985s on Ele and and MKS servo for Tail. Thro will be a 6635. Slimline Showtime Smoker

Lost a near perfect plane the last time i used a regulator for dual lipo batts and direct to rx.

I'm open to any ideas. BTW how safe is it to use same batt for RX and CDI. I have a Regulator with dual outs and was thinking of using a 2300 to power up both. Its a 120size Graupne Ultimate with a G20.

Thanx Guys

TManiaci

Engineer
Lifetime Supporter
Do you mean SF as in Side Force Generators (SFG)?

I think you will find most here will tell you to NOT share battery with Rx and Ignition. There is a big risk of noise taking you down.

cyoung450

My ignition is ALWAYS separate from my RX including the power. I am confused on SF??

Also when you have two power leads coming from your regulator that is so you can balance the load across your RX better by plugging your power into more than one channel, use a 'y' if you have to.

james

definatly don't need a power expander. just 2 power inputs into your reciever and a good swich like the fromeco wolverine is perfect. the wolverine will isolate a battery if it goes bad and balances between both batteries.

Chad H

Passin` Gas
Forget Li-po`s, Li-ion`s, regulators and all that expensive heavy crap with multiple points of failure.

Keep it simple. Use A123 Racing Nanophosphate M1 cells (sometimes referred to as LiFE or Lithium Ferrite) . They are 3.3 volts per cell. 6.6 volts for a pair in series. Perfect for your RX and sevo`s. Nothing else needed except maybe a tiny cheap diode regulator on your ignition module.

Use a 2 cell 2300ma A123 pack for your RX and servo`s, and another 2300ma A123 pack for your ignition, and a small reg if you need it for manufactures maximum voltage recommendations of your ignition module.

Personally, although many are getting away with it, I would use a separate pack or ign with the extreme high voltage of your ignition source. One small short and say goodbye to your plane.

Invest in good switches, with good gold plated redundant contacts.

All that other crap is so 5 years ago and a waste of money.

Last edited:

Chad H

Passin` Gas
Yah but a Li-po needs a regulator. You must add that to your weight of Li-po, never mind the expense, and extra contacts with more points of failure.

Last edited:

50%plane

addicted
Yah but a Li-po needs a regulator. You must add that to your weight of Li-po, never mind the expense, and extra contacts with more points of failure.
A lipo cost 23.99. most servos and RX's can handle the power these days... I believe all the Hitec 7xxx series can.(worth checking) no additional cost, and no additional points of failure

Time to burn these old heavy A123's...

Chad H

Passin` Gas
Plus, you can leave your A123`s in your plane while charging. They have a has exceptionally low internal impedance, even at a high amp rate fast charge, they do not heat up. No danger of fire like Li-po`s. All that hassle of removing batts in and out of your ship is eliminated.

Chad H

Passin` Gas
A quality put together 2300ma A123 pack costs about 45 bucks. For a extra 20 bucks for a pack you have eliminated the costs of a regulator`s. Let`s throw that price out their first if we are going to talk expense of everything needed to run a Lipo.

50%plane

addicted
Plus, you can leave your A123`s in your plane while charging. They have a has exceptionally low internal impedance, even at a high amp rate fast charge, they do not heat up. No danger of fire like Li-po`s. All that hassle of removing batts in and out of your ship is eliminated.
How many times have you set a LiPo on fire when charging it correctly?

A quality put together 2300ma A123 pack costs about 45 bucks. For a extra 20 bucks for a pack you have eliminated the costs of a regulator`s. Let`s throw that price out their first if we are going to talk expense of everything needed to run a Lipo.
a quality LiPo 2300 pack cost me $23.99. 21 bucks less than your A123.

my setup. lipo goes into RX, powers servos. done. I am running twin LiPo's and the telemetry is showing about 8.3 volts going into the RX. The servos love it! wow! what a difference! I will never run these pos A123's again.