Set temp alarm to ?

JeffinTD

I'm setting up a DLE 60 twin and it is the first gasser I will have temp telemetry.

What do you set the alert to go off at? I was thinking 300f would be safe?

JeffinTD

Thanks for the replies. It is going on a Telemaster with a cowl cobbled onto it.

I'll be sure to baffle it decently, and maybe go a bit lower than 300 then.

Tired Old Man

Staff member
It will be difficult to get much below 270, if you can even hold that low, with a reasonably well tuned engine making decent power. The game is not as much what you set your alarm trigger at, but what you do once it triggers. If you react with power reductions or cease climbing, perfect, but if you are slow to take action, or delay action in order to complete a maneuver you will quickly exceed the safe zone.

jon595

Powered by Visa
My temp sensor is bolted to the top fin as close to the spark plug as I could get it. The highest it has gotten is 253. I watched it the whole time and this was after going WOT across the field then pulling vertical untill it was a speck. The engine has approx 6 gallons thru it and is tune on the conservative side.

JeffinTD

It will be difficult to get much below 270, if you can even hold that low, with a reasonably well tuned engine making decent power. The game is not as much what you set your alarm trigger at, but what you do once it triggers. If you react with power reductions or cease climbing, perfect, but if you are slow to take action, or delay action in order to complete a maneuver you will quickly exceed the safe zone.
That's exactly what I'm after. I want the alarm to tell me the temp is getting risky and I need to back off, or land and see what the problem is.

I don't want nuisance alarms when it is just getting a little on the warm side of normal operation. I can look down at the screen to see that.