Resurrecting the cover model!!!

Discussion in 'Plane Registry' started by Bunky f. knuckle, Oct 20, 2010.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating:

1. Oct 20, 2010 #1

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!

2 years ago, I tried a Double Flusher, which I have pulled off successfully only 1 time before. This time was not the same. I entered into the DF, and puke goes the engine. So, do I push or pull.... If I pull, the wheels go thru the wings for the 3rd time, or push and take my chances. I pushed, and I think I might have come out better. End result was a broken motorbox, and destroyed hatch and cowl. As well as a little broken fuse balsa siding.

I'm still trying to figure out how I want to rebuild this thing. It has alot of character and sentimental value to me. I'll have to get pics up after I get back from work, since I can't seem to find any on my laptop.........

I have a couple of ideas running around in the ole noggin here. I can rebuild onto the existing motor box, splicing in and beefing the joint at the point of contact. Or I can laminate new sides onto the box, and actually narrow up the motor box by 1/4". But I think I would be adding alot of extra weight by option 2. But I guess that is why they make scroll saws!!!

Just trying to weigh all my options in this. If anyone can think of another option, I'm all ears. Here's the thread from another site I was at. http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51951&page=2 There are a few pics there.

Lets hear some input.

2. Oct 20, 2010 #2

66Stang

66Stang

66Stang

I'll give you a better one, the no handed flush! I've done it three times, the first time scared the hell out of me. It's when you take a crap big enough to fill the bowl and the toilet flushes itself. But I guess this is off topic..

3. Oct 20, 2010 #3

10+

10+

10+

Professional Moderator

Just double it up.. Clean the old stuff up best you can and swiss cheese the new parts. One thing I think you should try and get the pilot to stay in the "Heads Down" position guy keeps missing the double flusher..

P3133413.jpg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  4. Oct 20, 2010 #4

jdracing3

jdracing3

jdracing3

Subscribed :)

5. Oct 20, 2010 #5

Pakratt76

Pakratt76

Pakratt76

It can only get better!

Cool, on the rebuilding Bunky!....

I'll be watchin this.... kinda of curious to see how you do
    the motorbox area.....

I had to do my Edge 540 twice this year, and it worked out
    great both times....

Please, post pics as you go... would love to see/learn from
    the process....:)

6. Oct 20, 2010 #6

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!

Ok, kinda sounds like I'm gonna be swiss cheezing this thing. I'm gonna need some duct tape and PROZAC!!!!

I've already got the motorbox sides cut. All I need to do is line everything up, and make some marks, and let the dust fly!!! Will be posting........... Afterall, what could go wrong........

7. Oct 21, 2010 #7

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

How hard can it be? Looking forward to your progress!

8. Oct 21, 2010 #8

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!

I don't think it is going to actually be hard. I think the hardest thing will be mounting the cowling. Gotta get a 150 engine rebuilt first, before I make saw dust.............It'll probably be done this weekend, that way, I can probably take it out and start tweeking the needles in...... 1 1/2 each out!!!!

9. Oct 21, 2010 #9

50%plane

50%plane

50%plane

addicted

are you done yet?

10. Oct 21, 2010 #10

Rocky

Rocky

Rocky

Teamflying Circus

We need Video of the DF

11. Oct 21, 2010 #11

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!

Imagine this..................Rolling harrier to a decending TR (rolling right) to a waterfall at 4'.

12. Oct 23, 2010 #12

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!

Today starts the day!!! Start rebuilding within the next hour!!!

13. Oct 23, 2010 #13

Craven

Craven

Craven

"The King"

What are you rebuilding?

14. Oct 23, 2010 #14

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

Pictures please! I would like to see how you tackle the motor box!

15. Oct 23, 2010 #15

50%plane

50%plane

50%plane

addicted

speaking of tackle...
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hzJOlpSwweM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hzJOlpSwweM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

16. Oct 23, 2010 #16

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!

Your manners!!!!! It is going to be a long drawn out process, but in the end, it'll be worth it!!! LOL!!!!

17. Oct 23, 2010 #17

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!

Rebuild is coming along........... Pics later tonite. I've got the box sides made, doublers made too. Keep in mind, I'm no Sensei, but I do ok at rebuilds.

Stay tuned!!!

18. Oct 24, 2010 #18

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!

Ok, you wanted it, you got it!!!! PIX!!!!!

I'll try to go in order, but it may be slightly hard, since I'm pulling pix from 2 cameras. My Olympus, which does a nice job at taking up close pix. Then the "super" camera. The g/f's D40X DSLR.

Lets see..... You've already seen some of the before pix, if you read the thread on the other site.........

Lets get started!!!!!

First, I got started by cleaning up the remainder of the mess from the damage. Sanded down the square oak blocks, because I plan on setting some tri stock there. After that, I laid out a pair of doublers that will help me align the new section of motor box. 1 left and 1 right. The one on the left is shorter than the other. Reason for that is from a previous retractable LG landing. Then I had previously cut the motor box sides, as I had planned on doubling from the rear of the motor box, and coming FWD to the firewall with the sides. I opted against that route. I trimmed down the box sides to fit on each side.

Attached Files:

19. Oct 24, 2010 #19

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!

On the front of Carden's, there is a chunk of 1/4" balsa. This had been broke previous as well. I decided that I was going to cut it out, and install new. Laid out some lightening holes to start the lightening process. I kept with the original build theme of the "D" style lightening holes in the sides. So a bit of cutting and trimming, and then lightening the front of the motor box that extends past the fuse. Took a page out of Sensei's book on this one.

Attached Files:

20. Oct 24, 2010 #20

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!

Now, with having the lightening holes cut in each side, now time to square things up. First and foremost, level the bird out!!! Now with it level, it is time to glue up the motor box. Pretty self explanatory here. 3/4" tri stock on the box, for LOTS of strength. Keeping everything flat and square is KEY!!!! The table I'm working on is just an old hollow core door. But for gluing up the motorbox , I "borrowed" and sturdy piece of plastic from work that is 3/4" think!! It is heavier and flat., so why not!!! A little wax paper does wonders for keeping things from getting stuck!!! Will pin the box at the end of it all with 1/8" dowel rod.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010