Prop Selection

HUSTON

Hey guy's, Trying to decide on a prop for my AW300/DA120 plane. What's the pro's and con's of using a 3-blade VS a 2-blade prop ? :confused5:

red7fifty

BadAss Member
Generally, 2 blade has better performance.

Generally 3 blade is quieter.

More choices in 2 blade, less cost

3 Blades, one blade is ALWAYS in the way, when you are moving the airplane around

3 Blade, need another spinner

2 Blade, Less Ground Clearance
3 Blade, more Ground Clearance

Also, depends on the airframe......some combinations just work better than others.

3 blade looks more "Scale", and some like the look better.

HUSTON

The "scale" look is why I am considering 3-blade. But performance is definetly more important to me.

red7fifty

BadAss Member
You can try different props in 2 blade, by different manufacturers, to see which one works better to your flying style.

I read on the IMAC site a while back, some tests done with different props..........

red7fifty

BadAss Member
My hunch.....a 3 blade will fly "faster" compared to a comparable 2 blade.

On my 40%, I'm using the Mejzlik 32x10L.......that was the prop of choice back when the DA150 was the only engine to have.
Now, a lot of guys are using 30x12 instead.....I haven't tried it, so I don't have first hand experience to report.

On noise sensitive fields, the larger 32 can rip (tips further out) and make more prop noise.
A 3 blade would further reduce this.
But, a smaller thrust disk, might take slightly longer to punch out, and downline braking would be faster.

Someone:prrr: chime in if I'm wrong here.

red7fifty

BadAss Member
I talked to a friend of mine, when picking out my prop.
He flew at a top level, in the TAS and for Horizon a few years ago.

He (Zak West) suggested, on my Sbach, I'd probably like the 32x10 (over the 30x12).
Also, adding, "If it were a heavy, draggy Yak, I'd probably like the higher pitch 30x12 instead"

Does that help at all?

What prop/make/size are you using now? Is it working?

HUSTON

It's a new build and my first GS gasser. Thinking about the Mejzlik 28x12 one of the props DA recommends for the 120. But I really like the look of the 3-blades.

red7fifty

BadAss Member
Either the 28x12 or 29x10 would probably be fine......

I have a DA100 (original from 10 years ago.....when they were "new") and normally ran a 27X10
I bought a 28x10....but never used it, and recently sold it to my friend.
I switched to a Zoar 26x12 (being rusty on my flying, I tapped the tip of my 10 year old Mej) and wanted that extra 1/2" ground clearance.
I can't compare the two, because one is wood and different brand, but, they both work fine.

I'd have to suggest, call DA, and get some of their feedback, and ask more guys that are running the DA120 what prop they are using for 3D and Sport flying......even more helpful, if they are using the same airframe too.

HUSTON

No but was thinking about doing so. Maybe after it's complete. One paycheck at a time if ya know what I mean. Didn't realize how expensive EVERYTHING would be.

red7fifty

BadAss Member
A little bit along the way, as you progress would be cool......that way, you can also get feedback and input as things arise.

:thumbsup:

Who doesn't like pictures?