Poor Resoultion, Hitec Digtial Servos, Futaba Fasst 2.4 questions

red7fifty

BadAss Member
Well....I test flew last week with the BEC bumped up to 6.5V.....the response was quicker servos (At least now I could fly it around, instead of it feeling like a book with wings.), but, the servos still failed to return to center.
After a pull up....the plane continued to climb, and after a push, continued to dive.
Ailerons showed the same, but not to the same extent.
I will be changing out the elevator servo, for a Futaba S9650, as this has proved to be very good in my Extreme Flight MXS.
For comparison, I test flew my buddies EF Extra 48", with Hitec HS5065MG, and it tracked well. (Similar to my S3156 equipped EF)
Guess these mini's are just not up to my standards. Had a similar issue 10 years ago with the HS81MG.
I've used the Hitec Titanium Gear High Torque servos (forget the #.....the first ones' that came out many years ago) in monster trucks, and they performed well.

earlwb

Does the Op have another TX and RX brand they could try with the servos? Some servos do have problems with certain types or even brands of radio control systems. it may be worthwhile to try it and see if the same thing happens with a less expensive RC system. The Futaba 18MZ is a really nice RC system.

JohnBer

centering on all the hitecs i have owned has been.......curious.......at best. switched to savox and atx and am liking them. centering on my HDpower (flame suit donned) 1214's is actually better than any of my hitecs....5945,5645,7950(round filed those $500 smackers wasted)slowly getting rid of the rest of the hitecs.
aint tried the new futaba servos but friends are happy as heck with em.

Tired Old Man

Staff member
I was teasing about the radio but I was dead serious earlier when I said some Hitec servos are simply not as good as others higher up the price structure. I've yet to see a mini outside of Futaba or Airtronics that I would call top of the line. The others work but precision and consistent repeatability is not part of their description. If you want good stuff you're going to have to pay extra for it and obtain from those noted for high end products in small packages.

Classclown

Hitec has a few lines that are decent servos. I know the 56xx series in particular to be absolute garbage., they were known to never center out of the box. The little HS 56, 65, their digital 5065's, which is the digital version of the 65, are really good. 5945, 5955, 5985's were probably the best they ever put out. If you wear out the titanium gears on an old 5955, up til now, Hitec will do free replacement, but you have to send it in, as Hitec never sold the titanium gear replacement sets. Their 79xx series in my opinion are garbage, except for the 7990.

Classclown

If they dumped the 79 series, and went back to the 59xx series with nothing changed, I would start buying Hitec servos again. So..... JR and Futaba's for me, until then.

red7fifty

BadAss Member
So...with all that being said, anyone want a few "slightly used, almost new" Hitec HS5245MG Digital Mini's?
Only 2 flights, no crashes, no prop strikes, after run oil always used, includes factory box and manuals.

Jaybird

Wishin' I was at the farm
red7fifty said:
So...with all that being said, anyone want a few "slightly used, almost new" Hitec HS5245MG Digital Mini's?
Only 2 flights, no crashes, no prop strikes, after run oil always used, includes factory box and manuals.
How much?

red7fifty

BadAss Member
Well, the elevator servo is first to come out (I have a replacement Futaba ready to take it's place)
The other 3 servos, I don't have replacements yet.....willing to take all 4 out.
They run $39.99 a piece, will consider reasonable offer, shipped.

AEAJR

Looking for Lift
I will take a swag at this.

1) are you trying to run your radio at a very low latency setting? This is unrelated to resolution but I have read of people trying to run in low latency with the wrong equipment.

2) What receiver are you using - perhaps I missed it above.

3) Have you tried servos that you have used before, plugged into this receiver? Do they work OK?

Resolution is a ghost kind of thing. Looks good on paper but you can get a debate from people as to whether you can actually fee any difference. And you will also see a debate as to what REAL resolution can actually be achieved, rather than what is on the spec sheet.

Latency can be a similar thing. Can you actually feel a 1/4 ms difference in latency? Some say yes. Some say no.

You would probably feel more of a difference going from a 4 cell receiver pack to a 5 cell receiver pack in terms of aircraft responsiveness.

Last edited:

red7fifty

BadAss Member
Thanks for everyone's input. I just chalked it up to, these mini's just don't have the precision I was expecting.