Pipe Tunnel

GravyGoodness

Huck-O-What?
I have a H9 33% SU-26. I put an RE3 in there, and had to make hangars for the pipe to sit in, easy enough. The question I have is, do I need to make a tunnel for it? I'm thinking there's enough airflow (cut out covering), but I'm not sure about making a tunnel to keep heat in (or out of fuse) or just leave it alone? Any thoughts??

MODE-1

Nice Sweater
I had a thought once.........boy did my head hurt for days afterwards.

The tunnels purpose is two fold.
1. Direct a steady stream of air along its intended path
2. Keep any crud from leaching into the fuse that travels down there.
3. Segregates the electrical equipment from being exposed to the outside world or excess heat.

Oh ! That more than two fold thats three fold. Hey look......free info.

3ddd

divorce,only way to fly
if you have room and can stand a little weight gain the tunnel is better,,even comp arf over price don't have a tunnel i think

Chad H

Passin` Gas
Gravy, my 50cc Edge has a RE-2 in it. Aeroworks constructed it either for a can, or a pipe arrangement. They showed you in the manual what covering to remove for proper ventilation and how to mount either.

The pipe does not sit in a actual "tunnel". There is no solid separation barrier floor between the radio gear and the pipe. There is a floor like you normally would have on any ARF to mount your gear on, but with the usual amount of lightening holes.

Because of the many cooling slots and holes in the bottom of the fuse, the inside of the aircraft does not even get warm, even just sitting on the ground at high throttle, there is no excessive heat build up. None. Period. The moving air just from the prop alone draws the heat out.

You do though get the odd peace of grass blow up in there, or the odd little rogue fruit fly.

You also have to be careful of all electrical wires, servo leads, and fuel lines that could drop down and get melted off.

If you would like more photos, I can take some. A full tunnel for cooling IMHO would be excessive weight and a waste of time providing you have adequate cooling slots in the bottom of the fuse.

Attachments