Pilot 37% Edge (second Edge assembly thread)

Discussion in 'Plane Registry' started by Tired Old Man, Oct 9, 2011.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating:

1. Dec 21, 2011 #241

Super08

Super08

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;) Lifetime Supporter

That sounds like a case of a bunch of birds flying too close in a line and the first one suddenly stopped when it flew into a brick wall.

2. Dec 27, 2011 #242

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man Supporting Member

OK Pat Christmas is over. Get back to work.

I just have to make the outside brace for the wheelpants and mine is redy for the maiden. Then I'll be two Edge's to none up on you.:biggrin:

3. Dec 27, 2011 #243

Super08

Super08

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;) Lifetime Supporter

Going right for the jugular are we?

4. Dec 27, 2011 #244

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Well !!!! Yes !!!! We play to win the game. We want to win even when there is no game. We compete even where there is no competition. We know everything even where there is nothing to know.

You see I did learn something on RCU.:eek:ut:

I've been after John VH to finish his P-47 in the same way. It don't work and I'll give up after a while. Meanwhile it's stil fun.:banghead:

5. Dec 27, 2011 #245

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

I'm thinking his nearest relatives are sharks and attorneys....

6. Dec 27, 2011 #246

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

If youre talking about me. You are so close.

A) I have friends in Australia and that country is known for Sharks.
    B) My brother-in-law is an attorney.

7. Dec 27, 2011 #247

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Yup. It's snowing outside. Don't feel like working on planes so I'm flying my MCPX in the shop.:yikes:
    I thought I'd show you what an Edge looks like when it's close to completion.:biggrin:

Attached Files:

8. Dec 27, 2011 #248

Bemeson

Bemeson

Bemeson

Tom,
    You need a smaller plane...you weren't kidding when you said you couldn't carry them to my house. It looks awesome...

9. Dec 27, 2011 #249

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

I like the color. That rust/orange color isn't used very much but looks real good.

10. Dec 27, 2011 #250

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Thanks Pat. It was a fun build. I haven't covered a plane in 4 yrs. then 18yrs before that. It was a challenge. Had a friend show me how to do Checkers. The orange collor came from Left over Sboch color and My son said to use what I had on the Shelf. This is a replacement plane for my son. I wrecked his Sboch. Needless to say that he is verry happy. 30cc Sboch to 50cc Edge. He thinks it's a fair trade. LOL.

11. Dec 27, 2011 #251

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Thanks Brian. That's the small one. We don'y have anything smaller at the moment unles you count foamies.

12. Dec 27, 2011 #252

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

Just ordered some of the KS Comfort Mount headers from 3w. Seems KS makes one specific for the MVVS 58-116 with the double flex sections. For those that may have a similar need the part number is 524758. Also order a Fuchs 28-10 two blade while I was at it. It will be a couple weeks before that stuff starts making ot my direction but at least it's done.

So "take that" Tom;) Thanks to Super08 for the heads up on the headers. If anyone ever wants to view the KS website direct, here's the link: Metallwaren Krumscheid. You'll have to use the German language version to obtain the header drop down menu. Seems that one was updated but the English one was not. KS lists headers along with the engines they will fit, which is quite helpful. From there you just have to provide the part numbers to your dealer for ordering. BTW, the nearest header flange size fitting a 3w engine to try and fit the MVVS 116 is for a 3w 170, but it's a skosh too large in the mounting bolt diameter and port height to fit correctly. The port width is 1mm too small.

13. Dec 27, 2011 #253

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

It's about time:thumbsup:

So far you're going through all the stuff I didn't want to go through with that engine. But I think it will be worh it when you are finished. I just don't have the knowledge and experiance to do what youre doing. I have a fault that I know of and admit to. If I get pissed at something it gets tossed in the trash. There's a JC-28 there now and there may be an RCGF 62 to follow. The 28 Quit on me in a bad place twice. The seccond time was when I crashed my sons plane. The 62 threw the muffler off 3 different times till I learned how to mount it the right way then the brass insert lusened up and the engine Quit again in a bad place. That time I crashed my Prized P-47. I have it repaired but am reluctant to fly it. It only has 2 flights on it since I repaired it about a year and a half ago. I put some baring retainer lock tite on the insert and it's still tight after two flights but I just don't trust it. I didn't want to get frustrated with the 116 and looking for parts and having to redo the firewall to mount it. That's the only thing that kept me from using it.
    I guess you can say I'm tired of messing with unprouven stuff. The 116 may be prouven to someone but it would have been another new thing for me. I just want to fly for a while and not experiment. Right now, becoming a better pilot is my goal.
    All that said I'm as much interested in your project as if it were my own. I want to learn from your experiance. So keep up the good work.

14. Dec 27, 2011 #254

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

The project is "your own" in a manner of speaking, and belongs to anyone interested in it. I suspect there will be some engine experimentation after everything gets going, which is why I dug up the Walbro WB-25 while at home. There's no way I can justify the extremely large fuel inlets on the 116, which may also explain some comments I've received about slower than average throttle up. Too wet and what happens when you throttle up;)

You know that whatever we end up doing with that plane and engine will be posted in here for all to see and use as desired. Hell, we can even debate and argue about some of the stuff and come out wiser for it.

Your two trashed engines can prolly be corrected using DLE and Zenoah parts. Cylinder wise the small ones are likely Zenoah or 3w based, but not made anywhere near the same in the port departments. This is where the Chinese copies always fall flat on their faces. They shortcut the ports and squish dimensions on the cylinders and have a lifetime of issues because of it. Then you have piston design types. The Chinese have yet to learn that piston skirt design is a large part of the 3w induction process. Copy the engine and use the wrong type of piston skirt because theirs is cheaper and the engine will never run right;) Dumping the China made carbs helps a lot too. Used Walbros in the appropriate sizes can be had pretty cheap at saw shops, and a rebuild kit for them usually costs less than $10.00.

Once you have one of the cheap China copies you might as well plan on doing some alterations sometime soon after obtaining them. Otherwise they end up like yours did. In the trash. However, they can make for a fun learning platform when viewed in context. Case volume corrections can make for extremely frustrating, but educational, projects.

OTH, with the RCGF there may be no salvation because if there's some way they could have cheapened the fundamentals of the original product theirs was copied from they most certainly did so. Never stand in front of a running RCGF engine. EVER!

I should add a big thanks to Gerhard at Aircraft International. He took the call while busy with another one and called back within 15 minutes of my original call. From there we checked out some exhaust gasket dimensions for 3w engines and found those would not fit as well as they should. Then he walked me through the KS website and together we came up with all the parts that will probably be needed for the installation. Since the parts had to be ordered from Germany we delayed shipping the prop until the KS stuff comes in to reduce shipping costs. All in all a very satisfying research and order process where the business owner went over the top to be helpful. So thanks again Gerhard!:thumbsup:

15. Dec 27, 2011 #255

aussiesteve

aussiesteve

aussiesteve

I am real curious to see the results of the WB 25. One of the issues we have in my planes that are flying the 116 is that the engine is actually way more powerful than what is needed. They are running the genuine MVVS Canisters and headers (We could make them fit in those particular planes) and even 30/10 Xoar Laminated on 1 and 30/10 Mej on the other is seemingly underpropped (We can make both rip easily in the air - you shoulda heard the 28/14 on one - that was loud). Those are in 108" Yaks that weigh 10.5 Kg (23 lbs)

Not so long ago, I packed up every single Chinese engine from my shop and took them over to a buddy of mine - (he is a mechanic by trade, loves messing with engines, is a reasonable flyer and is on a low budget). There was well over 100 engines of all brands, shapes and sizes Even a couple of DL 50's in there. He is finding out pretty quick just how many parts are in fact totally interchangeable and just how many are not really useable as a brand new item (He does things like measuring bores and pistons). I now only have USA, German or Czech made engines in my shop (thank goodness).

As you mentioned, they did make a great learning experience (I learnt - "NEVER AGAIN")

16. Dec 27, 2011 #256

aussiesteve

aussiesteve

aussiesteve

I have experienced a similar level of support here from Ernie the Aussie 3W dealer. I think that there are pretty strict rules that all of their dealers must abide by.

Of course the MVVS importer here is a good bloke too - especially if he can line me up with a 320 some day :biggrin:

17. Dec 27, 2011 #257

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

Prolly have to watch out for that local MVVS dealer. I heard he had requested a Chinese mistress for Christmas.

18. Dec 27, 2011 #258

aussiesteve

aussiesteve

aussiesteve

LOL
    I offered to bring him one back but he was afraid of his missus.
    Apparently they tend to run amock and speak a lot of senseless gibberish (not sure which I am referring to)

Speaking of new Mistresses - just got a notification that my 2 new red heads will be ready for collection this afternoon.

19. Dec 27, 2011 #259

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

Uh oh, trouble coming. No time for RC posting now.

20. Dec 27, 2011 #260

apalsson

apalsson

apalsson

Emm .. give I'm the official Australian Distributor, I suspect this is me you refer to? :crazy:

My better half .. much better half suggested that would score me some :smash: over the head!

Tom, are you discussing JC28, RCGF62 and Pat's 116 in the same sentence?
    Looks like you have done too many inverted IMAC routines! :biggrin:

Seriously, MVVS have redesigned their headers and canisters into easier joiners and will be coming out with headers with various drop lengths. In the meanwhile, any teplon sleeved header of the right diameter will now work with them