Pilot 37% Edge (second Edge assembly thread)

Discussion in 'Plane Registry' started by Tired Old Man, Oct 9, 2011.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating:

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

Due to the extreme generousity of Aussiesteve, Apalsson, Super08, JediJody, Tseres, JNorton, and others yet to be named, I'm starting an assembly thread for the 37% Pilot Edge. To find out more about their generosity you'll need to consult the following link to the RCU Gas Engine Forum: A Very Special Thank You It's 8 pages (so far) of some fun reading.

I'm doing this thread in two forums but there will be some minor differences between posts to allow for the higher level of member sophistication in this forum.

Hopefully this will be a pretty comprehensive assembly thread, starting with how Pilot packs their products for shipping, the installation of an engine that's not part of the usual manufacturer group, and many of the installation and equipment decisions made along the way. I'll try to provide a lot of pictures. Understand it will not be a fast moving thread because of work requirements, but it should get done in time for people that might be interested in the same plane to make a purchase and be ready to fly using this thread for info before the next flying season comes around.

The engine will be an MVVS 116, decked out with MVVS cans and headers. Radio may be Airtronics or JR. Haven't decided on that yet. Batteries will be A-123's. I don't run ignitions from a flight battery, ever, and the MVVS ignition requires a higher battery voltage, so there will be a separate ignition battery. Servos have not been decided on yet but since all the better digitals and receivers can handle the direct voltage provided by A-123's there is no reason to bother with a "high voltage" servos or regulators. Tailwheel will be a J&J unit since I have a couple on hand.

A lot of people came together to make this happen, for which I'm truly grateful. Some mention should be made of Chief's Aircraft, who worked with Super08 and JediJody to move the plane northwards.

Never lie, and never minimize or gloss. Tell it like it is and let the pieces fall where they may. The truth always wins.

2. Oct 9, 2011 #2

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

First picture post: The packages and packing.

The plane arrives in the usual two carboard boxes. The fuselage arrives in a very long box, about or a little more than 8' in length. You'll note the fuselage box weighs a bit more than you might normally anticipate. The pictures are annotated to explain why.

In my opinion Pilot packs their planes for shipping better than what is experienced with a Comp Arf. More than a little pre-planning was done by Pilot to assure their customers received an undamaged product. When veiwed from a business finance position that makes a lot of sense. It's hard for a company to make money when they are having to provide second planes to replace those damaged in transit. The shipping and labor costs involved with replacements and dealing with shipping company insurers can zero out profitability in short order. Worse is dealing with unhappy customers and the negative impact of their posts over the internet.

Attached Files:

3. Oct 9, 2011 #3

yakken

yakken

yakken

You are going to like that plane. It's a 3d monster. :thumbsup:

4. Oct 9, 2011 #4

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!

Pat, you are a good dude, and quite frankly, deserved something like this. You are always jumping and chiming in on threads. You have always been a straight shooter and don't BS anything!!!

5. Oct 9, 2011 #5

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

Going through the hardware package and you find you won't be doing any work or spending money for control linkages. It's all there for you to bolt on and adjust already. Pics of the hardware package and accessories below.

Never lie, and never minimize or gloss. Tell it like it is and let the pieces fall where they may. The truth always wins.

Attached Files:

6. Oct 10, 2011 #6

yakken

yakken

yakken

Do not use the axles or wheels that come with the plane. They seperate from the rims and the hubs wear out after a dozen flights.

7. Oct 10, 2011 #7

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

Thanks for the tip!

8. Oct 10, 2011 #8

flying skunks

flying skunks

flying skunks

cant wait to see what you think of the plane .....

9. Oct 10, 2011 #9

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

Me too. Pics of the major plane components and engine will be next up on the photo list. Then we'll start moving forward with the component selections and assembly process. There will be some things a bit different from the usual installations since an MVVS 116 is going up front.

10. Oct 10, 2011 #10

apalsson

apalsson

apalsson

This is one build thread I look forward to following! :thumbsup:

11. Oct 10, 2011 #11

AJTACZ628

AJTACZ628

AJTACZ628

"HAMMER TIME"

just got done reading some of the forum special Thank You,, that is GREAT,:thumbsup:

12. Oct 11, 2011 #12

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

Good to see you over here Ari. You might want to bring your Sbach build thread over if you have the time and inclination.

Folks, Ari (apalsson) is one of the major players behind this Edge and engine. He's a hobby dealer in Australia and one hell of a good person. We don't see the Ozzies much in the regular forums so I'd like to take a moment to welcome him and his countrymen.

13. Oct 11, 2011 #13

apalsson

apalsson

apalsson

Thanks Pat,

I might do that once I get going properly. At the moment, I'm mainly waiting for the engine to arrive and just doing bits and pieces to the airframe.

I will certainly keep an eye on your build!!

14. Oct 11, 2011 #14

rcakropilot

rcakropilot

rcakropilot

What..Weather Sucks Again

Glad to see this thread here at TFC. :thumbsup:

I'm doing a Pilot 37% Edge also only with a DA-120. There is a sort of thread at that other place that we don't talk about but it leaves alot out. I'll post some pic's of my progress also.

Thanks TOM

15. Oct 11, 2011 #15

AV8R

AV8R

AV8R

+1 :thumbs:

16. Oct 11, 2011 #16

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

You can add what you have to this one if you like. Different products and methods in the same thread makes for easier searches when people are doing different things. Having it in one place provides options for everyone.

There's another 37% Edge build thread on this site but it went from start to finish without much in the middle. The excitement level must have been to high and getting to the field won out over documentation. Something I fully understand;)

17. Oct 12, 2011 #17

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

OK, zee plane. Note the rudder pull-pull cables. The plane arrives with those already done if you go the pull-pull route. If not, servo bays are already available in the tail.

Attached Files:

18. Oct 12, 2011 #18

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

Next, the engine. This is an item that will raise some eyebrows with a few people. Yes, the combined package of engine, ignition, and cans comes in a bit on the heavy side. However, the plane has the size and areas to effectively carry them. Yes, it will take some planning and "non standard" placement of some items to offset the increased weight but the available power will more than offset the pound of extra weight over the more popular engines. It will require more thought and effort than the usual engne mounting but it will be worth it.

You DA and 3w guys can eat your hearts out. Nothing like having a 116cc engine with power nearly equal a 150:)

To remain in character I'll say this; If you are a person that would buy a computer without first realizing that it needs to be plugged into the wall to work, don't go with the MVVS. It WILL require modification of a firewall to install correctly. The Pilot Edge assists such modifications because the engine/firewall set back is established by the user. They should all be that way, which is how you would set up a kit plane if you were doing a stick build.

Some interesting features about the cans and headers. They do not connect with a clamp over a silicone hose. They use a short flex coupler that is held in place with factory provided springs affixed to flanges on the header and cans. There is also the option of using safety wire to achieve the same end.

The standoffs are of two different sizes to deal with an upper cross tie provided with the engine to unite the top of a firewall should it be removed to facilitate engine installation. Some weight can be saved by using a wood standoff instead of the metal ones provided. I don't know the material type but the factory provided units are beefy.

For you folks that pay attention to cylinder head temps. Ever notice how one cylinder always runs hotter than the other? That's because of the way the intake charge is introduced into the crankcase. Using a centrally located induction port establishes an unbalanced charge when it reaches the cylinder because of the crank counter balances. One cylinder receives more fuel than the other. MVVS addresses that with the offset intake plenums. Neat.

Attached Files:

19. Oct 12, 2011 #19

Classclown

Classclown

Classclown

Hey Pat, isn't that engine the same as Horizon's Evolution 116?

20. Oct 12, 2011 #20

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

I haven't done an assembly thread in a long time. Forgot how much detail goes into one. Now the hard part starts. I need to get into the assembly phase and associated documentation. Pardon me while I take a breath for a couple days before starting that part.