Pilot 37% Edge (second Edge assembly thread)

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
It's very much like a thinga ma bob but without the watcha ma callit on the end. :biggrin:
You see i grew up in Cleveland and I do know what a thinga ma bob without the whatcha ma callet is. :eek:ut: But I still don't know what a diffuser is.

:ANY1:

Jedijody

Proud father of Soldiers
I think the term diffuser can be a little confusing to those that think of something like a heat register or cooling duct grill or cover, it has a wide range of definition. In this case a diffuser is a device that controls airflow, they can be made and used to disperse air flow in a wide pattern or condense it into a tighter one. Either way the airflow is being controlled in a predictable manner.

A velocity stack or snorkel are other terms that may be more familiar.

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
I think the term diffuser can be a little confusing to those that think of something like a heat register or cooling duct grill or cover, it has a wide range of definition. In this case a diffuser is a device that controls airflow, they can be made and used to disperse air flow in a wide pattern or condense it into a tighter one. Either way the airflow is being controlled in a predictable manner.

A velocity stack or snorkel are other terms that may be more familiar.
Thanks Jody. I knew it by velocity stack.

Tired Old Man

Staff member
It's a lot like a "Whatzit". In this case I have a somewhat unique air filter that might double and settle things down a little. Course, if we wrer to get serious we'd lay out an egg crate diffuser to align the airflow to make it laminar before entering the carb. Naw, way too much work.

aussiesteve

For the Prop.
We have found the 30/10 (Mej Carbon on one and Xoar Laminated on the other) both work very well for us on the Yaks we have the 116's fitted to. (both are set up with the MVVS Cans and headers and the Yaks are very similar weights and spans to your edge)

Anything 28" or below goes supersonic at the touch of the throttle. I am not familiar with the performance properties of the Fuchs but a 29/10 may be a little small once it is run in and tuned (let me know if you need any tuning tips :biggrin:) As a guideline, I have found the MVVS 116 prefers about an inch more prop diameter to a BME 116 due to the BME preferring to operate at a slightly higher rev range to the MVVS (I have both engines fitted in identical airframes at the moment) .

Looking Good mate. :thumbsup:

Tired Old Man

Staff member
Thanks Steve.

Since you offered up the tuning help, what are the factory settings for this thing? Do the needles need to be all the way in or all the way out?;):smash:

aussiesteve

Are there 2 needles? they are so close to each other I thought there was only a need to use just one of them. I looked on mine and because the carb is horizontal, I can't tel lwhich one is "high" and which is "low" (It's easy on an undersulg carb because they are vertical). Everybody knows that the tuning method depends a lot on which oil is used, what plug gap and depending on if the engine came from a good guy (who oftens says "nice plane" but never gives accurate advice) or the cheapest source.

Now let me see, I did some research fom other sites and found the best all round tuning appears to be

Try to start it then post a question when you have troubles (search functions are a dream for the future apparently). Then wind the needles open about 3 turns, and richen fmo there to drop the RPM by about 500 or so. Ignore the low needle altogether because it doesn't do anything. Oh yes, Use an optokill because they are mandatory, NEVER use a seperate ignition battery and only use products form named brands or the cheapest source otherwise Nuclear war could possibly erupt. When the users inability to understand the product or the install, then post al over the place how bad the product is and buy an different brand of the same thing. :banghead:

Oh, hang on - wrong forum. :willynilly:

JUST IN CASE there are any newbies reading this, please ignore it as it is very bad advice (nice plane by the way). My mental capacity is significantly reduced because I have just finished reading a bunch of posts on another forum. (one in particular that mentions 2 regular posters on this thread in its title) :ack:

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
OMG that is so figgin funny LOLOLOL!!!

Sad part is that it is all true....

Tired Old Man

Staff member
Steve,

I've read that thread on the other site and I believe it's time to set things straight. Funny how so many were offended or angered with me on the site there is now a 5 page thread discussion the departure of Jody and me.

First, that copied arguement between me and the owner of another site has a crucial post at the end labelled as something awaiting me to edit. That was a cover up my the site owner to prevent anyone seeing that I had broached the use of the legal system to defend my right to free speach and freedon of association. There's quite a but that is missing related to how that site struck my avatar because it illustrated I was a member of one of the greatest groups of RC people around, Team Flying Cirkus. The "k" is not a mis key. The way that post was cut out made things a lot more convenient for the owner of that site.

Moving on from that stuff, I'm a firm believer that each and every man is in control of their own destiny. Nobody is responsible for another, and each has to find their own way based upon their own individual abilities and motivation. The worst words I know of to describe a person are lazy, lacks motivation, dependant, ignorant, feels entitled, and without creativity. Why? Beacuse all of them are self induced, and all of them are consistent with the plunge our society has taken in the last generation or two. Many of those attitudes are extremely evident on the other site. At least in a couple of forums. They light a fire in my belly that's difficult to extinguish, which grows as each new post where someone alludes that someone owes them something simply because they are breathing. That kind of an attitude I find contempetuous, and intolerable. People like that die quickly in a fire fight and severly risk the lives of others more motivated. There is a difference between uninformed or ignorant, just as there's a difference between a lacking education or being stupid. Each individual has to decide which group they want to be a member of.

I like to help people, I really do, but they first have to want to help themselves and demonstate that desire. I also prefer to have fun when doing so. If not having fun it becomes a job and something you should get paid for doing. Holding out a tin cup is not helping yourself. It's demanding a hand out and personally demeaning. I prefer to help those that will use that assistance to incite a desire to expand their knowledge though a personal desire to be as good as they can be, not to limit themselves to what others can provide them. So reading, research, personal experimentation, accepting some risk, expending efforts in hands on work, all go far in encouraging me to provide assistance. Yes, I became condenscending towards many over there. In most cases I believe it was deserved. There are also some real good people over there that truly wanted to become better, but they were over shadowed by those that felt life should be handed to them on a platter. Every post author that demonstrated that attitude made my attitude that much worse. Those that feel a need to be cocooned in soft silk and stroked are the people with a problem. They cannot deal with reality and seem to believe that everyone is required to stroke and pet people to avoid any kind of offending activity. That outlook is completely assinine and only demonstrates how insecure those people really are. They are not mentally equipped to survive in the real world and are using political correctness to ensure their survival. Weakness is never rewarded in nature but modern man has found a way to perpetuate it. It was definately time to go.

I can look back and know that me and others provided them the means to move forward in this hobby in a great many ways. In over 17,000 posts made over 10 years just about all the information anyone could possible need to become a better, more informed modeler, is recorded on RCU. From servo and linkage set up, ganged servos, composite repairs, adhesive selections and use, engines, operation, service, and quality assesment, kit reviews, product reviews, battery selection and set up, and many other things I have left an informational legacy that anyone can use if they are not to lazy to help themselves. Agreed, that would require time and effort, as all things usually do, but those are choices people have to make if they desire to excell in anything. To do less only lets a person cheat themselves out of all they could be. Just like school or college, you will only get out of it what you put into it. To expect others to devlop FAQ sheets and "link" sources for your personal pleasure is ludricous. One is only making a statement they do not believe they are responsible for themsleves when they insist on others to do that.

I will not apologize to those that feel offended or short changed. Ever. Many of them would be offended if anything was not as they demanded or desired. They deserved what they received. To those I was able to help, directly or indirectly, and to those that have said thanks, I say thanks in return and a most gracious you are welcome. If you need help you know where to find me. Some of you have my phone number andothers have my personal e-mail. I'll always continue to personally and publically assist those that truly want to help themselves. It may be extremely direct and appear coarse in the delivery, because that saves me time and assures understanding on the part of the user, but it will be accurate and factual.

If anyone desires to copy and paste this elsewhere. feel free. For me this is the end of a long association and time to move forward with more productive and rewarding activities, conducted in the presence of thinking, and at least semi mature adults. I say semi mature because nobody in their right minds would spend as much money as we do on a hobby that has so much potential to destroy the creative efforts of so many, so quickly. But, man, it's fun in the process!:) Thanks also goes to the previous and current owners of staff of RCU, for providing that venue to assist others.

Pat

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
Yes I agree. I think a lot of it stems from the way people/society are today and over shelter kids. No raising voices and things like time outs etc. It is no preparation for the real world, others may disagree with me, but it is how I see it. Most everything is made available or given to them and they don't really learn how to do things for themselves. How many times to you see posts as to where to buy something? All it takes is to punch in what you want in Google and you'll have pages of hits. It has nothing to do with anyone being dumb or anything. They just don't think to make the effort, it is like it isn't in their programing. The thought to try and find out for yourself just isn't there.

wahoo

Senior Supporter
I'm 48 and we had time outs when I was young. Mom or worse yet dad would take time out of their busy day to beat my a$$ if I screwed up !!!!

And I think there are quite a few that think like you.

Tired Old Man

Staff member
The upside of all this it seems to have forced those at the other location to look at themselves and determine who they are. That so many of them are behaving worse than they accused me of being is quite telling. They know who and what they are but need a scapegoat to deflect attention away from themselves lest the truth be known. One thing so many of them never understood; Jody was only as nice as he was because there was a business involved. Once he left that business his tone changed considerably in his posts. He is an all around nice guy though. If he gains as much weight as I have I might have to change that description to "well rounded";)

It's time to move on for there is an Edge assembly to savor and complete. That I can use the word "assembly" instead of "build" without reproach here says more about the readers/members than many might imagine. Intelligence and maturity become self evident by permitting the correct word to be used in a process instead of embellishing the activity with a word describing a process with actions never to be attempted.

So let us move forward and only use the past as a learning experience, to be drawn upon only when needed. As they said in an old movie; "Let's Dance!", and have some fun.

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
You have to remember they are "old" and may have forgotten a few things, like where they laid the canisters down. ;)

Tired Old Man

Staff member
Ouch!

There's been an issue with getting a round tuit. There really has been a lot going on work wise, and what we do at work is so related to RC you run into a bit of burn out that you have to wade through before you get back to the fun stuff. I still need to call Pe and work out the headers and knuckles, but aside from those just about everything is here to finish it up. After thet weather will be the controlling factor. Being "old" I don't care for flying when my fingertips become numb in the first 15 seconds after getting out the transmitter.

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
I hear you Pat, I don't find much fun in flying out in the cold. I would say 99.9% of my flying for the next 4 months will be from the couch. It is nice to poke fun at someone else with your own traits. I am famous for putting stuff down and 30 seconds later I cannot find where I put what ever it was. It used to drive me nuts and I would get right pissed. Now I just laugh it off and take a break instead of ripping everything apart in a frenzy trying to find it. A nice shot of whiskey usually does the trick. :)
As for my own Edge I think I will start on it on my next set of days off now that the engine is here. I will make up a jig for the engine for locating it like you do as it will be much easier than trying to juggle that much engine hanging over the railing at the top of the stairs with the fuselage standing on end. I sure love the sound of the 4 cylinder engines, reminds me of a Ferrari or something.