Pilot 37% Edge (second Edge assembly thread)

slopoke

for a bathroom break???? Take ya some Geritol and all will be fine........pics pics pics
Here is you some inspiration.........

Attachments

Tired Old Man

Staff member
Pics you say? Well pics you get. Hopefully this should keep you occupied for two or three minutes.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbnE7ljHxIE&feature=related]El Aeromodelismo - YouTube[/ame]

slopoke

Its winter time, That is what us rednecks use for heat......dang what do ya northerners use???????

cyoung450

I was reading this when it first started and now just got caught up. A few comments...

WOW super nice looking plane and that engine is just plain impressive.
What is with the carbon reeds? I have heard of these in use in MX 2-cycle and some snowmobile stuff but in our planes?? Tell me the advantages and disadvantages of carbon reeds if you will...

Ive seen that Airtronics stuff locally in another plane and they look to be a very solid servo. I have also heard lots of good things about the Airtronics radio, let us know how the programming is.

I have always spelled The Flying Cirkus with 'k' because that is the OG spelling for it. When I first joined that's how it was..and that how i will always spell it, this has always been my favorite site.:biggrin:

We need more pics too...WTF?

Tired Old Man

Staff member
cyoung450

The carbon reeds in the MVVS is an area where I'm interested in the long term performance. Usually they are used in racing applications, but in a somewhat different application method. In those instances the reeds are usually a double stack, have a bend limiter, and use a shock absorber between the reed and the cage to minimize impact damage. They would also have a length difference between the two sides of the cage, somewhat tuned to a high and low RPM band. Carbon, kevlar, and fiberglass have a finite number of bends available before they break down and either break or become too weak to function properly. Carbon is quite brittle when a given bend radius is exceeded or where impact is concerned. Kevlar delaminates over time in a flexible environment. So this will, at least for me, be an interesting experiment. I'll either like them or change them. We'll see.

As for the Airtronics SD 10G, I've been using one for foamie flying for a little over a year and find it to be one of, if not the most, user friendly radios on the planet for programming. Some complain that there is a little too much switching between programs to accomplish some things but the upside is that each of those programs is easy to find and generally intuitive. EVERY switch and channel on/in the radio can be assigned a position or function by the user. You prefer Mode 1 or 2? No problem just assign the sticks to what you what them to do. Three position rate and mode switches wherever you want them to be except at the sliders, so no limitations there. It's also one of the fastest 2.4 radios I've ever seen, which took some getting used to. In the beginning I had maneuvers taking place a little sooner than I was used to so I had to learn a different control throw timing. And all for under $400.00.

If I was to have a complaint, it would be that Airtronics does not currently have mini receivers available for use with small foamies, but the 5 and 7 channel receivers don't weigh all that much. Unfortunately their bulk is not much less than the Airtronics 10 channel receiver. Oh, not a complaint but all the receivers are quite reasonable compared to a Futaba or JR receiver price.

Everyone that has gotten back to me has had only great things to say about the servo selection. I've been very pleased with the feed back on those, including those that have been used in ganged installations.

Last edited:

Sam77

Having a Blast
Let's not forget how durable that radio is. I've seen that thing get drop tested - and survive - numerous times! :)

wahoo

Senior Supporter
HMMMM.... Not to sure about that. To me that sounds like it's time for it to be sent in.

Classclown

Its winter time, That is what us rednecks use for heat......dang what do ya northerners use???????
LMAO, So you cuddle up and find all kinds of treats in the folds, I bet, Gummy Bears, BonBons, popcorn, hotdogs...... And I guess when that all runs out, there should be a whole variety of cheeses in the creases,......BARF!!!!:ack:
No thanks, up here in the middle, we use women that i prefer to weigh no more than 130lbs , occasionally, 2 or 3 at a time, electricity, oil, kerosene, LPG, wood...., moonshine from some redneck friends, and Snuggies!

shheeezzzzz them girls looked starved.......You know ya got to feed them........
You give them the protein diet.:thumbsup:

Tired Old Man

Staff member
HMMMM.... Not to sure about that. To me that sounds like it's time for it to be sent in.
Guess I have to provide the foundation for the "drop testing". Not counting the one time the neck strap had detached from the Tx ring sometime before I let go of the Tx, with its subsequent fall to the ground, there was this time when I had thought I was done flying. It WILL be personally painful........

After removing the neck strap and starting to walk back to the car I changed my mind and decided I had enough battery left in the foamie for another short flight. Not bothering to put the neck strap back on I flew for a few more munutes and was hovering pretty close in so decided I would just snag the foamie out of the air.

So a fast grab to the left with my right hand also provided a quick push to the right with my left hand, the one holding the Tx, and voila!, the Tx gets tossed about 10' to land on asphalt. That broke a switch and the Tx antenna tube. Later I just glued the tube back in place since I was only using the Tx for foamie flying at the time. Still works fine for foamies. But I did catch the plane:) Unfortunately Sam77 and Tony White were there to see the whole thing live:cryin:

I obtained another radio to use until I get around to telling Airtronics how their Tx was stupidly broken and get it repaired. Perhaps it might be better if I said I used the antenna for a prybar or something? The switches must have broken when a tree or something fell onto the Tx.

It was really funny, but damned embarrassing.

Tired Old Man

Staff member
LMAO, So you cuddle up and find all kinds of treats in the folds, I bet, Gummy Bears, BonBons, popcorn, hotdogs...... And I guess when that all runs out, there should be a whole variety of cheeses in the creases,......BARF!!!!:ack:
No thanks, up here in the middle, we use women that i prefer to weigh no more than 130lbs , occasionally, 2 or 3 at a time, electricity, oil, kerosene, LPG, wood...., moonshine from some redneck friends, and Snuggies!

You give them the protein diet.:thumbsup:
Better to roll the big ones in flour and use that for additional friction after establishing a wet spot. At that size, just pick a wet spot since the usually preferred target is unassailable.

However, putting a 130lb. cap on them means you must be single, or married less than 3 years. Once they encounter the "contented cow" syndrome that 130lb cap becomes a far distant memory for both them and you.

Last edited: