Finished stripping out Cookie this morning and got it ready for it's new owner.
Started installing the loose parts. Mounted only one servo per elevator. I found this to be plenty for IMAC. Popped in the Ruder servos and the smart fly. The McFueler had a spot on the left side of the plane but I like mine on the right side so I installed it there.
Set the back spacing for the engine. I needed to add 1/4 in. to the firewall. This was good cause I plugged the hole that was there for the ZDZ-180. I'm Using a DA-170. The Bolt pattern for the DA is the same as the ZDZ. This made things easy. The spinner came out perfectly centered.
You do enough of these and you stop sweating the little things. Once that hapenes everything else gets easier. I think I can build one of these with my eyes closed. LOL. Cant take credit for the spinner alignment. The engine mounting holes were already drilled. I just spaced it out properly.
more than likely the dog thought he was protecting a human from the horse. I have a 100 pound plus heinz 57 and he is the most lovable pup.....till he thinks someone (or thing ) should not be around us. Then he gets ornery in a hurry. 99.9% of the time he is just happy with everything. Dont think about yellin at momma when he is around tho LOL. nieghbor tried that....once.
Got a lot done today in between the have to do's. Installed the throttle servo and linkage. Installed the fuel lines and the McFueler. Waiting on a sticker before I take the picture. Ordered the Graphics. Ordered the Elevator Servos. Installed the ignition. Pinned and Fuel-proofed the firewall.
Whatever goes in the plane now is permanent.
Pam smarting off about snow reminded me that I needed to update here.
I mounted the engine, canisters and ignition for what I think will be the final time. Hooked up the fuel line and the throttle. this was Friday while we here in Indiana brook an all time high record of 71F by 3 degrees. We had 74F. Worked on the plane with the doors open in the shop.
This morning when I woke up it was snowing. If you live in Indiana you would know that this could happen anytime. when you see snow. it is both beautiful and depressing at the same time. Lucky for me I have a depression fighter sitting in the shop. So I decided to build some baffles today. I usually build baffles out of 3/32 balsa sheeting coated with .075 fiberglass. I'm out of glass so I used 1/8 lite ply. on a 43% plane it wont make much difference.
Right now its 18F at the house. Going up to 42F today but Tuesday we are in for another hot day. Forecast is for 68 which would tie the record. Lots of things going on this week coming up. I'm supposed to get a new dog if it works out. Adoption agency is dragging their feet. My friend is supposed to pick up the original Cookie. Ordering the new 60cc Extra. Then there is building. Plenty of that to last into the Summer.
With most of the reconstruction finished, I decided to turn my attention to the Servos and Wiring. Started out by Installing the servos in the wing. I decided to use the Hitec 7950's that came out of the original Cookie for the wings. I'm reducing the servos to 2 per wing. The other plane had 3 7955's in it. I'm going from 6 V to HV so the amount of torque available is about the same as before. Maybe a little more.
I also decided to go from 2 servos per elevator to one in each one. Didn't have any other High voltage servos so I called my friend Brian at Code 3 Innovations. He was out of the 2230 that I was looking for but he Suggested these new 2290's. I was looking for something over 500 oz of torque. These are rated at about 695 Oz. of Torque and are fast at that. This is more then two 7955's. Since I don't believe that there is such a thing as overkill. I took him up on his suggestion.
Got my Taildragger RC 20 gauge servo wires out and started making up some wiring harnesses. This is as far as I got today.
It's aluminum case. I think it's their top of the line servo. I never though I would ever need something like that. I still don't think I need it but Brian sold me on it. I may be very happy if it is everything he said. It's made to compete with every companies top of the line servos.
Freakin' Kyle man, dude shows up to Nall and crashes airplanes left and right because he's got them 'outta this world' skills...... :biggrin::smash:
But nah, he was really groovin' with Cookie the whole time, it was just a weird scenario, it's like the bottom of his waterfall had no air to grab. You did a phenomenal job repairing her!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I stopped working on Cookie II because there still aren't any landing gears available... I did get the Graphics package from B&E Graphics. It will look like the rest of my 3ooSP's. Only Bigger.
I got the new 60cc version of the Extra from PAU about that time and decided to put it together first. There were some major changes from my old Blue 300SP. Made the fuse taller wider an longer to fit the DA70. Added one inch to the wingspan and added counterbalance and made the elevators bigger. It is now to the Specks of the 330SC and the name was changed to reflect this. Should be better for 3D.
Just about finished with the 330SC. All I need to do is balance it and set up throws. It will be ready to maiden when the weather allows it.
Should be back working on Cookie II tomorrow.