PAU 42% Extra Rebuild

Discussion in 'Plane Kits & Frames' started by Tseres, Jun 20, 2016.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating using the link above.
  1. Jun 20, 2016 #1

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

My friend Pam decided that we don't spend enough time here on Circus. I agree so I'm starting this thread to to give us a reason to be here. This is my favorite forum after all.

This plane used to belong to Herve the owner of PAU. We're friends so I usually hang out with him and the rest of the gang at Joe Nall. This year Kyle (The Alien) W. I'm not attempting to spell his last name. Had a dead stick and landed the plane on the wrong side. The top. It's messed up pretty bad. This is not just an ordinary Extra. It has become a favorite plane of Kyle and several of the other guys that fly for pau. It even Acquired a nick name. "Cookie"

While we were stopping the plane Herve Asked me if I could fix the plane. Cocky ass me said (Sure I Can). He asked me if I wanted it. I told him (Yes I Do). The only reason was because it was a sentimental favorite and it deserved a second chance. So now My big mouth got me int a challenging build.

Let week while I didn't have anything to do but watch TV I decided to take a look at what it would take to fix up the Cookie. I didn't like what I found . Pretty much Every section will need some kind of attention. I started with the Cowl the top was broken So I glued it back together and reinforced it with some glass. I don't like working with F/G so I set it aside at this point and started on the fuse.

I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Attached Files:

thepamster likes this.
  2. Jun 20, 2016 #2

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

More Pics.

Attached Files:

3. Jun 20, 2016 #3

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

This is it for now.

Attached Files:

4. Jun 20, 2016 #4

Super08

Super08

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;) Lifetime Supporter

Oh cool I got to see the sneaker shot again. Blue lives matter. :D

Tseres likes this.
  5. Jun 20, 2016 #5

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

True but this is more like a private forum.

Also have some news. I traded Aaron for my old 170 and cans back. Unfortunately I traded the Suhhoi for it. He crashed his plane and needed another and I may have a few more then I can fly in one day so we made the Deal.

Steve. I did not trade my MVVS. It will find it's way into a FW-190 in the next couple of years.

6. Jun 20, 2016 #6

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

It hit 90F already. Decided to take a break and sit in the air-conditioning. Finished the stringers, gave it a light sanding and worked on the top joint in front of the stab. Removed the aluminum rails. I managed to get them stuck to the frame so I had to cut them loose. Here is the Experiment. I used some non expanding insulation foam to fill the gaps in the foam. It seems to be working. I'm going to let it cure for a while and check it out when the temp outside is going down. used some masking tape to wrap around the paper tube to repair it.

Attached Files:

7. Jun 20, 2016 #7

Super08

Super08

Super08

You plan on the same scheme that was on it or something else?

8. Jun 20, 2016 #8

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

The Mistress of Biplanes Lifetime Supporter

Wow, even though I saw many of those pics over on FB I can see them much better over here and man that is one F'ed up Extra.
    It certainly fell into the right hands to repair it back to flying condition.
    Awesome progress so far Tom and thanks for sharing over here.

Tseres likes this.
  9. Jun 20, 2016 #9

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Right now the same. Subject to change. :)

10. Jun 20, 2016 #10

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Have a few more pictures. It's to hot to stay out there long.

Attached Files:

11. Jan 22, 2017 #11

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I don't know what happened to all the pages in this thread. I can only view page one. I'm going to revive this thread for a rebuild of a newer PAU Big Boy Extra.

It is the the same plane as Cookie but a newer updated version. The wings on this plane are phenomenal. The plane hit a tree on landing due to depth perception that comes with old age. The leading edge is destroyed yet the spars are intact and so is the rest of the wing. Because of the strength of the wing the wing tube socket in the wing got tore out. While it looks bad the damage is minor structurally. In other words it shouldn't be hard to fix.

Starting on the wing repair first.

12. Jan 22, 2017 #12

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I cut out all the bad wood from the leading edge and cut the sheeting straight along the spars. It will give me a good place to splice the new sheeting in.

I will have to trace the good wing for each spar front. Because of the tapered wing they will all be different. Lucky for me there is a stub remaining that I can glue to. this will give me a good strong bonding area. Made repairs similar to this in the past. This will be a strong repair.

Attached Files:

13. Jan 22, 2017 #13

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

One more of the finished rib front in place. I got the reinforcement in the cutout in the wrong place but I'm going to leave it like that cause it will get covered up.

Attached Files:

14. Jan 23, 2017 #14

Super08

Super08

Super08

I like your idea for making the missing ribs. Saves opening the good wing to trace the other ones.

Tseres likes this.
  15. Jan 25, 2017 #15

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Finished up the leading edge yesterday. Just need some sanding on it before covering. Ordered the covering Last night. I have 2 Extras identical to this one only smaller but no covering to match. I'll have some now. :)

Attached Files:

16. Jan 25, 2017 #16

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

Looks as good as new, probably better.

Tseres likes this.
  17. Jan 30, 2017 #17

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Started covering the repaired wing yesterday. Finished it today. I didn't have enough silver to finish the Job so Perry VanMeter brought me some over and helped me finish the top of the wing.

Attached Files:

thepamster likes this.
  18. Jan 30, 2017 #18

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

They look great Tom. Your customer looks satisfied as well.

19. Jan 30, 2017 #19

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

That's Perry. He's a friend and an old time flying buddy... He was one of my first flying buddies back in the late 80's.

20. Feb 1, 2017 #20

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

The leading Edge was broke at the root of the other wing. That was an easy fix. I was able to save the covering by slowly pealing it back far enough to give me room to work. Then I just ironed the original covering back down. There were a couple of holes from what I'm guessing tree branches. They were on the bottom so I just covered them up with a patch.
    Looked at it very closely and I see no other damage. The wing bags I had sitting on the shelf are almost big enough. In this case they will work.

Attached Files: