One of the Chipmunks is finished. Time to get back to the Ulti.
I'm trying to get back in the groove but it's coming slow. For the last 2 days I managed to make 6 extensions and install the receiver. I used some of the stuff I had for the Ultimate to get my other planes going. I'll have to take inventory and order the stuff I still need to finish it. Problem is I'm lazy and would rather just kick back in the recliner for now.
I know. I'll sort out the birds nest when the time comes.
Extensions are made for all the flying surfaces. Straightened up the wiring a little bit. The centers are set on everything except the top wing. Before I could go on, had to make and glue in some fillers so I can mount the fuel dots and the switches. This was an area where they saved some weight but could have left a little more wood.
Messed around this afternoon mounting the mufflers and cutting clearance in the cowl. had to cut the front of the muffler for clearance. Mounted the throttle servo. One of my favorite parts I put on all my planes is the McFueler fuel dot.
i'm also happy that Mark made up some McFueler Smoke stickers. Helps keep me from mixing things up. I also had to make up a mounting plate for the pin switch. This is something I started doing about 7 yrs ago to keep the switch from wallowing out the wood. Works great.
I have been lazy and not working on the Ulti. I used waiting on pars as excuse. They are here. I'm going high voltage with this plane. I resisted as long as I could. Going with a Pulse 3600 to power the Ignition and the smoke pump. 2 Pulse 5200s to power the receiver... This is going to be an all day airplane I'm thinking 15 safe flights with this setup without a charge. Smart fly opto kill will control the power to the ignition and the smoke pump. Then I'm Using the No Limitz fiberglass spinner. ( My Favorite Spinner) with a Falcon 27-10 Wood prop. the 27-10 is an awesome prop for the DA-100.
Just thought of something else I need. A Check Valve and Smoke fuel lines. That is not to good of an excuse to not work on the plane so I'm going to piddle a little installing the stuff I got today.
I did mess around a little wit cutting holes in the bottom of the Cowl. Air Exit hole, muffler stinger clearance and access hole to the bottom cowl bolts are in. Still need Choke rod access hole. I might do it first.
Sorry but there is nothing to update. Other things came up that needed my attention more then the Ulty. I hope to get back on it soon. Not much left to do. I did mount the smoke pump last night while no one was keeping tabs on me.
I'm working on staining the Deck behind my house. I decided to ketch up on the honey dos. Weather around here has sucked all year. Might as well do what I need to on the house so I can fly this fall if the weather lets me.
Got caught up on the projects so it's time to get back on the Ulti.
Some progress is slowly being made. Can't work mid day on the plane since it gets to hot so I've been running errands the last couple of days. Still get a little bit in today in the morning and the evening. Got the gas and smoke tanks installed. Not much room to work where the tanks go but it wasn't impossible to install them. Still need to plumb from the smoke pump to the mufflers. Drill the prop and Spinner then balance so I know where to install the batteries.
I already have the transmitters basic programming done. Did it today. If all goes well, I should have the plane ready to start up tomorrow.
Things are going slow cause I don't feel like working in the heat. Finished the plumbing for the smoke system. Couldn't find any RC type Check valves so I took Mika Woodward's advice and went to the Pet Shop and got some Check valves from the air system for Aquariums. It is my good fortune to have old time builders for friends. I've learned so much from these guys while I was learning to build. I still turn to them for advice when I'm stuck.
One of the things I picked up along the way was to use 2 check valves on a dual muffler system and put it about 3 inches from the mufflers. If you use one valve before the T in the line will also work but anything past the valve will leak out or burn up. So having the valve close to the muffler will save the Smoke oil that is in the line. Over time this adds up. You're saving oil and money in the long run.
I have the Prop and the back plate for the spinner drilled. Still need to balance them and start up the plane to see if it runs.
The last thing to do is to balance the plane and install the batteries.I'm glad I'm not on a deadline.
More pictures. Carb wasn't sucking up the gas. The Diapragm in the carb was dry. Learned from Colton Clark that you can put Redline oil on the Diaphragm and it would soften it up. Don't use gas. it evaporates to fast. This worked on the first flip. I flipped till all the bubbles were out of the fuel line. It fired right up. I did have to wait for it to stop sprinkling.
on final inspection I found the top wing aileron hinges not glued in. Had to postpone the maiden a day. It's a little nose heavy. I think I'll leave it there for a while. 2 screws that were holding the wires came loose. I didn't tighten them enough. Everything stayed tight for the next 3 flights after I tightend them up.