PAU 30% Sukhoi

Discussion in 'Plane Kits & Frames' started by Tseres, Dec 3, 2014.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating using the link above.
  1. Dec 3, 2014 #1

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I got a great deal on this plane and couldn't resist it. This is one of the few PAU planes that I have not had till now. It was an XFC 2014 raffle plane that one of the local guys won. He told me that this was beyond his abilities to fly so he was thinking about selling it. Been after him ever since to sell it to me. He finally caved in and we came to terms on the price and I brought it home.

I'll be working on this part time and will modify a couple of things just for the heck of it. I have heard about people not liking the split landing gear and the canopy warping and not fitting correctly.

While I don't have first hand experience with these things I will try to fix what some people complain about before I fly it. Unfortunately when I do that. I won't have anything to compare it to. What is important here is there are a whole lot of people out there that call themselves modelers but can't fix anything. Hopefully this will help them not be afraid of a little fix up in order to put their minds at ease.

Attached Files:

2. Dec 3, 2014 #2

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I started on this yesterday. Made a cross brace out of aluminum to tie the 2 gears together. Now I'm making some hatches so I can easily access the landing gear in the future.

Don't be afraid to cut into the bottom of the plane. You will never see it and won't even think about it after the first few flights. Its sitting on the table and I still can't see where I cut the bottom of the fuse open. In that case you really wont see it sitting on the ground.

I'll get some more detailed pictures when I take the gear back apart.

Attached Files:

3. Dec 3, 2014 #3

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

The Mistress of Biplanes Lifetime Supporter

Wow cool Tom. Can't wait to watch this project proceed.
    So is there a Santa from another hemisphere thats dropping a powerplant down your chimney for Christmas?:biggrin:

4. Dec 3, 2014 #4

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Christmas presents are surprises. Oh Oh. Somebody spilled the beans.

Revy likes this.
  5. Dec 3, 2014 #5

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

Some beans remain in the can.:biggrin:

6. Dec 3, 2014 #6

aussiesteve

aussiesteve

aussiesteve

The cross brace for the Landing gear is a great move. My (larger but similar design) Sukhoi also had the split gear, it was fine when it got landed perfectly but if it got a "not so perfect" landing it was always a concern about how much stress was placed on that part of the fuse. I ended up joining the gear together into one piece (it was carbon gear).

Really looking forward to seeing this one fly Tom, Are you going to set it up to "further your 3D career" ?

Mmmmm I like Beans. Might even have some within about a week if previous cans are anything to go by. :biggrin:

7. Dec 3, 2014 #7

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I like beans! :)

I have a few friends with this plane. They all say it flies great. They all say that the Edge is a better 3D machine. To answer your Question Steve. Yes. I'm going to 3D it as much as I can. I hear that it excels in Harriers. I'm going to get brave and bring my Harriers down closer to the ground. At least thats the plan. Of course you guys already know that I like precision flying so this plane fills the bill perfectly.I have a feeling this is going to get the first nod for flying when the weather breaks.

8. Dec 3, 2014 #8

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I have several parts in rout to the house. There are Beans from Santa. Then there are some Savox Servos that are supposed to be here tomorrow.(5) 1283s for the flying surfs. Way overkill but I can use these all the way up to the 42% planes. So I'm just planning ahead. I'm also getting a 1257 for throttle. I'm told the speed of this servo helps with throttle response. As we all know I need that for 3D. However I may be beyond help in 3D. LOL. Still sticking with 6 V. Not convinced about HV yet.

I also ordered some SWB arms last night and a turnbuckle Pul-Pul cable adjuster. Don't know when that's supposed to get here. I'll have plenty to do for a couple of days once they get here.

9. Dec 3, 2014 #9

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Speaking of 3D. Have you guys seen this yet? It's electric.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lt9jvV9-3A[/ame]

10. Dec 3, 2014 #10

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Now I feel compelled to clarify something. A friend of mine who has one of these planes called me and asked me why I went through all that work. Then he explained to me that that wasn't the problem. The aluminum gear was bending due to the length and people were having problems putting the screws in the gear. The gear was changed to CF because of that.

So I misunderstood the problem with the landing gear. I thought the mounting blocks were breaking out.. My friend said that has never been an issue. Oh well. To late now. I'm just going to finish up what I started and forget about it.

All you people that are contemplating this mod. Forget about it. You don't need it. Besides it gets in the way of using canister mufflers.

11. Dec 3, 2014 #11

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

What is this turnbuckle pull-pull cable adjuster thing you speak of?

Beans are only for spilling as I do not eat beans.:ack:

12. Dec 3, 2014 #12

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Here is a picture of the one I have in the Edge.

Attached Files:

13. Dec 3, 2014 #13

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

Where did you get that?

14. Dec 3, 2014 #14

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

15. Dec 4, 2014 #15

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Since I already had the holes cut I had to do something. I went to the original plan and made some hatches. Now that I have this finished I'm going to put it behind me and look forward. It didn't take that long and I know I didn't hurt it any.

Attached Files:

16. Dec 4, 2014 #16

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

Well heck Tom that turned out nice anyway.
    What's next?:exercise3:

17. Dec 4, 2014 #17

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Yup, Thanks.

Hinging.

18. Dec 4, 2014 #18

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Got the first four steps done. Shrink the monocote. I have to say that this is the best covering job I've ever seen on an ARF. There are a few bubbles but all the seams are tight and there are a million stripes on this plane. They were all stuck down real nice.
    Then I made up some masking tape to protect the covering around the hinge holes from the glue.Learned that from Terryscustom and it works great.
    Put all the masking tape in place.
    Glued in all the hinge points with epoxy on one side only. I learned this the hard way. I used to use gorilla glue on both sides and taped them in place overnight. I got away with it a couple of times but it only takes one time for the glue to push the pins out of place and you learn fast. I'm going to wait for the epoxy to set up then I will use gorilla glue on the other end of the hinges.

Side note. There are 4 hinges that are shorter on one end. These go on the inside of the stabs. 2 each. These holes aren't deep enough because they are blocked by the Stab Tube Socket.

One thing that I like about PAU planes. They have all the hardware separated and marked in English. Yeah. I switched the flat washers out with some Bonded washers to mount the stab... We all have our preferences and I found that I like the bonded washers the best.

Attached Files:

19. Dec 4, 2014 #19

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

I hope you plan on sealing those gaps.:biggrin:

Nice trick with the masking tape. Why didn't I think of that?

20. Dec 5, 2014 #20

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Only one side is glued. I'll be closing up the gap in just a little while.

I didn't think of the masking tape idea I copied it from Terry.:smash: