OMP YAK55 Build

cyoung450

Looking great! Keep those ailerons dialed up cause that is a fast rollin machine he he!!!
Tell me about it, I have already turned them down a bit....very authoritative rolls. Weather has been crappy here I hope to get out at the end of the week....

cyoung450

I am about 95% sure I will be flying this again tomorrow, I will try and put together a better flight report and maybe get some more video....

cyoung450

I am editing video now TODAY WAS AWESOME DAY AT THE FIELD SO MUCH FUN!! Finally did some 3D and got video of it and did the maiden on the 26% YAK too! Whoo HOO!!

cyoung450

I got out to the field again today and finally got some flying time in on the YAK, this thing really does fly good, it is very 'locked in' feeling, I have yet to get all of my rates and expo dialed in but I am close, the ailerons are still way too fast. Knife edge is sweet no coupling, tumbles nicely(needs more elevator), rolls are very smooth and axial, hovers easy, inverted flat spins were good (needs more elevator) landings are slow and smooth, the push pull rudder is great, it has awesome authority.

The motor is running nicely in the video on take off it was just a little cold, I added baffling to my cowl and when I temp it today after landing I was 138 on one side an 151 on the other, temps before on the same type of day were 175-190..so the baffling definitely helped with cooling. I am still getting a burble on left side knife edge but I am going to try the pill bottle and see if that fixes it...

The CG is about there, basically on the wing tube, on an inverted 45 the nose falls ever so slightly, 3D performance is good, I need more elevator throw but its not bad, and as I said the ailerons are way too fast still, but the motor has insane pull out power with the Xoar 27x10 laminated, it is very foamy like when in high alpha I can tell its going to be very easy to get it DOD....:D

Here is video from today...no music just straight video I was in a hurry....

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/18381061" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/18381061">YAK 55 Lake Dallas 1/2011</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user2688952">cyoung32</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
Enjoy!

Last edited:

cyoung450

Well I have decided to do a few things while the weather is so carppy here. I got a deal on a Walbro Carb (da-100 model) that I couldn't pass up so I decided to go ahead and mount that up. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the DLE carb I had, I just heard that the Walbro is a better running easier tuning carb, so why not try it. Any way it is pretty much a bolt on replacement the one I got came from DA so it already had the arm mounted. I had to adjust the length of the arm on my throttle servo but that was it. I set the needles at 1 1/2 L and H it popped on the 5th flip, turned the choke off and 2 flips and it was running, I twaeked the needles a little bit, transition was good, and with the Xoar 27x10 I was right where I was before at 6400. The difference I noticed right away was that it cold started much better than the DLE carb. I hope to fly it tomorrow. I will report back how it does.

I also installed a venom temperature gauge, the sensor is on the back side of the back cylinder, on my ground runs today its highest temp was 240. I extended the wires so I could get it where I could read it outside of the fuse.

I also put some BLING on ....Sullivan Skylite Aluminum Hub Wheels, these are real nice, I just didn't care for the plain plastic type wheels that came with it and they were already going bald...LOL.

I included some pictures of the carbs you can see the difference in quality, the Walbro is a much better looking piece.

Attachments

cyoung450

I made it out to the field last week with the walbro carb and I must say it ran flawlessly, I also tried a Mesjlik 28x10 carbon fiber prop, I didn't care for it, the spool up was a little slow, it turned 6350 on the ground which isn't bad, but man it was noisy and rippin everywhere...which was pretty cool at times...anyway I like the Xoar 27x10 Laminated so I think I am going to stick with that for a while, I still have the Mesjlik on there and I am going to give it another try before I pull it off, I am going out again tomorrow.

I am also starting to send in the servos in this plane (5955s), they had been used for some time (2.5 years) before they went in this bird so I am starting to swap things out I just did the elevators for now, I went with Hitec 7954 SH servos, The reason I choose these is they were a little cheaper than the 7955s and I have been wanting to try the new High Voltage Motors. The 7950 and others in the HV class were a little pricey and I just don't have a lot of funds right now...the specs on these are great and they are designed to run on 7.4v, I run A123s and may switch to Li Polys so these were a great fit. At 6.0v they are 333oz at 0.15 sec, and at 7.4v they are 402oz at 0.12 sec.
Side by side with the 5955s I can't really tell a difference these center just as good and seem a little 'stronger' than the 5955s, they sound a little different too. I also used the new HP-21 Plus Hitec Programmer to set them up it works great! I used my laptop to program them, way easier than that old HPP-10 programmer. :thumbsup:

One other thing I decided to try out was an secraft fuel cap for my water bottle style tank. First off this is totally something that is just for 'bling' the cap I was using has no issues. Anyway it comes in a nice little bag with the brass tubing and the fat o-ring for the lid, when you assemble you can use some CA or seal-all (gas and oil sealer) is what I used to make sure the tubes don't leak, here is a pic. They have lots of cool stuff if you've never checked out their site its worth a look around. http://www.secraft.net
I'll report back tomorrow with some post flight comments.

Attachments

Dean Bird

Lifetime Supporter
One other thing I decided to try out was an secraft fuel cap for my water bottle style tank. First off this is totally something that is just for 'bling' the cap I was using has no issues. Anyway it comes in a nice little bag with the brass tubing and the fat o-ring for the lid, when you assemble you can use some CA or seal-all (gas and oil sealer) is what I used to make sure the tubes don't leak, here is a pic. They have lots of cool stuff if you've never checked out their site its worth a look around.

http://www.secraft.net

I'll report back tomorrow with some post flight comments.
Cool!! Thanks for the link. Makes using a bottle really easy.

Dr. Jekyll

Great build thread and sweet plane. I think that's cool that you have a different plane then the rest of the guys at your field. I'm also working on a new build, getting excite. Cans should be here Monday and can't wait to fire up my 3w 110 CS. Your a lucky guy, new plane and a new trailor, that's definitely Circus style.

BRUTUS

Plank Junky
Lifetime Supporter
How much did you pay for that viper temp gauge? I think they are going for around $50 out here.

I want one for my Yak when I get the funds to finish it-

cyoung450

Well I got to go fly again yesterday and this plane just gets better every time and the motor is ripping a Mesjlik 28x10 prop with ease....anyway got to finally fly some IMAC stuff the plane. It is so locked in and the 28x10 does very well with IMAC type flying. I don't care for it so much for 3D because the spool up is a little slow. The plane has no bad tendencies, knife edge is fun and easy no mixing needed, inverted flight it drops the nose a little so its a little nose heavy for me still, I like them to be neutral so I plan to move the batteries back a little. Spins were good, it takes a little while for the "drop" to happen but once it does it spins nicely, four point rolls and snaps are crisp and clean. We were flying in a 10 mph cross wind directly 90 degrees across the field and it still tracked very well and did some awesome crab landings too!:thumbsup:

Here is where I got the venom temp gauge they are $15.99

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHUH3&P=ML

@ Dr. Jekyl I like Cirkus Style!! :biggrin::biggrin:

For the protractor just google it then you can print it, seach "printable protractor" and about 5000 will come up...LOL. I tried to upload mine but its too big...

Last edited:

cyoung450

Almost forgot...the new Hitec 7954SH servos were BADASS, I also went from a 1.5 inch arm to 1.75 inch arms on my elevators and they are much better with 45 degrees of throw, pretty much one to one on the geometry now the gap from the hinge line to the horn is about 1.75 inches so I took a 2 inch MPI arm and drilled it to match its cool because they mark the holes for you so you can get them both the same... :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I will be buying more of these, they are strong, center perfect every time and ZERO slop! The price is right too! I haven't checked my battery usage yet but I don't expect it would have changed much. I will let you know when I charge again if they used more or less juice than the 5955s.

Last edited:

cyoung450

After using both Jr and Hitecs, I think the Futabas are the shiznit.
I have never tried any other brand for the simple fact that you can't program them, I have had to setup servos you can't program and it sucks. And after using Hitecs new programmer through the PC interface its easy as pie to gang servos or setup dual elevators etc etc.....why do none of the other manufactures offer a programmer?

Just my 2 cents.