Oldest model you have in your collection

Discussion in 'Giant RC Plane Forum' started by psycho-patch, Apr 22, 2013.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating:

1. Apr 22, 2013 #1

psycho-patch

psycho-patch

psycho-patch

Hey guy's, since I have been participating in the political crap threads for too long now I would like to break from that and start this thread about the oldest model you all have in your plane collections. I will start..........

This a rubber band powered free flight model built by my father from an ad for plans in the back of some magazine. He told me that he built it from balsa sticks cut from sheets and a prop cut by hand from a chunk of block wood. This model was built by him on his bed as a 17-18yr old kid in 1942-3. He has saved this for all these years and I was always in trouble for trying to play with this model when I was a kid. He passed away some years back and I have kept it in my man cave since it's removal from his estate. It is very dusty but here is a pic anyway. Cool huh!!!!!

Lets see what you guy's can come up with!!!!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
    Revy, BRUTUS and 3dnfool like this.
  2. Apr 22, 2013 #2

psycho-patch

psycho-patch

psycho-patch

Thanks, Revy. Got anything to show and tell?

3. Apr 22, 2013 #3

kaveman

kaveman

kaveman

i will try and get a pic of a little tiger moth that is 25 over years old and flys on a 20 fourstroke this is my little pride and joy

4. Apr 22, 2013 #4

psycho-patch

psycho-patch

psycho-patch

That's cool!! Lets see that Tiger Moth!!

5. Apr 22, 2013 #5

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

Nope, they don't last that long in my hangar, lol!

I liked the fact that you have some good memories to go along with that model of yours! That's something you just can't equal! ;)

6. Apr 23, 2013 #6

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

The oldest plane I have that I have flown is a Tower Hobbies 40 size kaos. Had it since 02. I HAD my old Great Planes Trainer 40 with a symmetrical airfoil. I built it in '88 and gave it away 5 years ago to make room.

Right now I would have to say my trusty old Yard Bee. It was given to me 5 years ago, and it was at least 20 years old. Anyone remember when HS-55's were black? This plane still has it's original servo's. I gave it a foamy 3D power system, and slapped a 3 cell 1300 to it's belly. Climb performance is like watching an estes rocket launch. Or, at night like a bottle rocket that doesn't stop. Just a red dot getting smaller by the instant. Getting it back down can be harrowing. When it over speeds it tucks very hard, and if you pull too much the wing would pull away from the fuselage when it went positive, and then slaps violently back when you push again... Crazy ass little plane. It has every bad habit a plane can have, in spades. You use throttle to climb, do loops, or descend. The rudder is for when you want it to sway one way or the other, and the elevator is for when you have the throttle set for level(ish) flight. I maidened it at 11PM, in the middle of winter, and in 5-10 mph winds. Anyone who has flown it since would probably say that was not a good idea! But, there is just something about it that makes you want to fly it. When the wind is down you can pull the throttle way back, and give it just enough elevator trim to keep it level, and you can just kind of nudge it to the left or right. The belly light illuminates the ground anything below about 6 feet, and you can just truck around doing figure 8's 3' off the deck, centering them, and bringing them in close can be an immensely fun challenge. Or spot landings. Sometimes, late at night in that immense park I would pretend the Yard bee was a Pong ball, and bounce it between different trees on either side of the park. Of course, I was sitting in a recliner drinking beer the whole time LOL! With that 1300 I could get a solid 45 minute flight in calm conditions.

Anyway- it's my night flyer. I used to fly the piss out of it. Hours any given night. What a great way to get stick time, and relax. Like fly fishing, or tai-chi. Forces you to focus, and keeps you entertained.

At Warbirds this year, my dog Max pretty much ate the tail off it when the big pyros and concussion bursts were going off. I don't blame him, but it did suck. Now it needs a total overhaul, and new tail feathers. Which it will get in due time.

Sorry for the rant- but for a tiny give away plane I have had more fun with this airframe... Even the infamous "Mark Dennis" of Aeroworks fame is in love with it.

IMG_5585 (1).jpg

IMG_5917 (1).jpg

IMG_5915.jpg

IMG_5905.jpg

If you go to 3:10 in this video you will see me flying this thing while hundreds of bottle rockets, mortars, roman candles, etc. gets launched at it. There are pictures of this little plane deflecting all sorts of pyrotechnics.

If you like Primus, or like slope soaring and having fun- you should watch the whole video.

[ame]http://youtu.be/K4TLbmmTsvE[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  7. Apr 23, 2013 #7

red7fifty

red7fifty

red7fifty

BadAss Member

That belongs in the AMA museum!

8. Apr 23, 2013 #8

psycho-patch

psycho-patch

psycho-patch

A couple of more pics of some stuff hanging in the garage.

The Waco is an old Nor-Cal 66" w/s kit. Wrong gear on this plane because the original had been torn off so many times I just threw them away.
    The Sig Smith Miniplane is an older one too.

That Waco has been wrecked many, many times. Beautiful once you get it in the air but still was a handful to fly. If you can't fly without rudder control at all times this would not be the plane for you!!!

Sig Smith Mini, great flyer and a ton of fun overpowered, very responsive.

Not the best pics.

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      33.7 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      29.3 KB
      Views:
  9. Apr 23, 2013 #9

psycho-patch

psycho-patch

psycho-patch

There is a Big Bingo 85", an Old Lance Machining RV-3 96" and a Lanier Giles 202 35%er in storage.

Got some control line stuff I used to fly back in the 1960's. Jr Flight Streak and Ringmaster.

10. Apr 23, 2013 #10

psycho-patch

psycho-patch

psycho-patch

There is even an old bashed Tamecat prop powered F-14 plane out there someplace. Someone tried to make it look like an F-18, clipped its wings and added different wing tips to simulate the F-18.

11. Apr 23, 2013 #11

psycho-patch

psycho-patch

psycho-patch

Just remembered.....there is an older Hanger 9 33% Cap 232 out there. What a fun plane to fly. Finally retired that one a few years back...flew the snot outta that plane. Don't think it could take much more without just blowing apart in mid air!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Apr 23, 2013 #12

siko_flyer

siko_flyer

siko_flyer

I AM AWESOME

My oldest,33% Pirate Extra 300 kit,built mid to late 90's.

Attached Files:

psycho-patch likes this.
  13. Apr 23, 2013 #13

siko_flyer

siko_flyer

siko_flyer

I AM AWESOME

Wait,my wife is older....:sad2:

psycho-patch likes this.
  14. Apr 23, 2013 #14

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

The Mistress of Biplanes Lifetime Supporter

My oldest plane currently flyable. 20 yr old, Stinger 120, 20 yr old G38, 20 yr old S5101 servos

It's called the Stinger Bee and just like her owner, she smokes.

Attached Files:

psycho-patch likes this.
  15. Apr 24, 2013 #15

kaveman

kaveman

kaveman

ok heres the moth sorry took so long was working graveyard

Attached Files:

psycho-patch likes this.
  16. Apr 24, 2013 #16

Jaybird

Jaybird

Jaybird

Wishin' I was at the farm

Got a 1976 Testors Silver Wind CL plane.

psycho-patch likes this.
  17. Apr 24, 2013 #17

Votec Yak Guy

Votec Yak Guy

Votec Yak Guy

I have a 1979 Cox Cessna Centurian "foamy" .049 power, 2 channel Sanwa transmitter. I think it weighted 2 lbs new and about 4 lbs once I learned how to fly it from all of the crashes and glue to hold it back together. will pull out of rafters for a pic if I get up the gumption....

psycho-patch likes this.
  18. Apr 24, 2013 #18

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

Oldest plane I have is my Byron Cap 21 from 1986 followed by my ol CG ultimate from '91. Both kits assembled are less than 5 yrs old though with the Cap built as an e-machine and the Ulti as a gasser right outta the box.

Attached Files:

psycho-patch and kaveman like this.
  19. Apr 24, 2013 #19

psycho-patch

psycho-patch

psycho-patch

This is cool! Keep them coming!!!!!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  20. Apr 25, 2013 #20

calypso

calypso

calypso

I have a mid 80's Tiporare with a Rossi .61 rear exhaust and tuned pipe.

psycho-patch likes this.