Old School Sig KADET JR build with mods

red7fifty

BadAss Member
Well, this was my first RC Airplane, back in 1983....It got destroyed in the short struggle to teach me to build and fly, and this past winter/spring, I was able to build another. Since the airplane is now finished, and has flown, the build order will be scatted all over the place, and be out of order to no end.

Attachments

red7fifty

BadAss Member
The original photo from 1983.
Only parts that remain, are the nylon nose gear steering block, the damaged Futaba 4TL transmitter (left it plugged in for over 24 hours, and the heat build up, distorted the transmitter case) and the original O.S. Max .20 RC.

Attachments

red7fifty

BadAss Member
I found a NIB Old School Futaba, just like mine, but, I got out bid on Ebay...it went over $150.00 (I think? Don't remember) But, I copied the image (since it looks better than mine, that is 30 years old), and been used in RC monster trucks, gliders and ran through the wringer.
I picked up a couple old Sig Catalogs off Ebay, so I could get the original ads too.

Attachments

Revy

K, letsgo!!
Hahaha..that little scratch built of mine, well it is of a Seniorita, but 2/3 scale. Should be fun to put together! ;)

Attachments

red7fifty

BadAss Member
You know you have building in your blood, when you open the kitchen fridge, and the ratio of CyA to food, is 25% of more.
A piece of 1/2 in Sheet Rock will be my building surface.
There are/were a lot of things I wanted to change on my 2nd Kadet Jr.
I added Barn Door Ailerons. Doubled the ribs, and some thin CA to stiffen. After the Built Up trailing edges and Aileron mods were incorporated, they were cut free.

Attachments

red7fifty

BadAss Member
2/3 rd scale, cool.
No, not teaching anyone at the moment...but in the event, I'll have this one available, although, for the amount of effort put into it, I'll probably just buy/or tell the new pilot, to buy a Tower Trainer ARF.....as I'd hate to see this one smashed to bits......again.

I've always wanted to build again and "Conquer" the plane that I killed. Poor thing, it only had 3 short flights, lasting a total of maybe 90 seconds.

red7fifty

BadAss Member
But, my intention for this build thread, is to show a few "Basic" building techniques, since, kit building is a specialty now, with all the ARF's coming out of China.
Who else to teach some building, but a Chinese guy? hahaha (joke) but really.
Building and mods, will show how to repair, or change your ARFs.

You need some serious help mate.
There are 4 things in that fridge and not one of them is beer.:yikes:

red7fifty

BadAss Member
You in need of or want an older Futaba system???? I have one. Just want rid of it, cost to you is shipping.
Thanks.....
Maybe, It depends....What do you have? Got a pic?
I was able to find a replacement TX that is in nice shape, but, I really wanted the NIB for my shelf......but, being they have absolutely zero useability (Not FCC legal, non-1991 narrow band) The ebay item went went for over my value limit.

red7fifty

BadAss Member
A 1/2 inch piece of brass tube, was used to make holes in the ribs for servo wires.
In addition to adding barn door ailerons, I wanted to eliminate the F-ing rubber bands used to hold the wings on. On other trainers that I have built for friends in the past, a trick I've incorporated, was to square up the rubber band on wing, and glue (4) pieces of square stock on the wing, just inside the fuselage saddle. Thus, making an alignment key. In the event of a really bad landing, the wing would still give way, and break the blocks out, but in normal use, they helped to make sure the wing went on straight every time.
Anyway, back to my bolt on wing modification.
A few pieces of Birch Ply (Don't use lite-ply, unless you double it) were used to make anchors for the hardwood dowel, and epoxied to the wing spars and another plate at the leading edge.
At the trailing edge, a piece of thin birch ply for the nylon wing bolt plates.
When I joined the wing halves, they fit good enough, not to need glass tape on the center joint. A little extra epoxy lightly spread onto the sheeting, smooths the joint, and adds some strength. If you fitting work has more gaps, then add the fiberglass tape and more epoxy.

Attachments

red7fifty

BadAss Member
Remember what I said about going out of order?
A half-former was made, to double up the front former used to receive the wing dowel.
A piece of light cardboard from junk mail, used to protect the soft balsa sheeting from my drill chuck.

Attachments

Revy

K, letsgo!!
Looks good, Ernie! I like that card board trick...gonna use that someday soon, I'm sure!

The plans for the Seniorita were scaled to 66% at Kinko's. A little specific lightening in the wings by removing every other rib basically and other minor details got it to even less than it's supposed "scaled" weight, RTF.;)

The bolt on mod I did was almost the same, but with two carbon pins that go into the middle of the ply window block. These were anchored through a modded center section LE and ply wing joiner so the wing cups the block. I should take a pic...I didn't take too many while I built that little thing.

red7fifty

BadAss Member
I didn't take step by step photos for the rest of the wing or fuselage framing.....as, all I would be doing, is replicating the instruction manual.
For first time builders, I've found SIG kits are among the best for learning building techniques. Great Planes and Goldberg kits have been good too. For the inexperience, just pick one, and go for it. Keep it simple, and keep building.
During the time this project started, I bought my 40% Pilot RC Sbach, and about a dozen other smaller airplanes, and framed up a 34% Great Planes Extra 330L for my friend......it is EASY to get side tracked, and hard to get a derailed train (wreck) back on track.
Here is my workbench.....(It is completely covered with RC crap at the moment, so, I've been working on the formal dinning room table now) BTW, if anyone is interested, I'd sell it...but, it's 12ft long butcher block counter top, and won't be easy moving down the stairs, especially around the 180' turn.

Attachments

red7fifty

BadAss Member
Looks good, Ernie! I like that card board trick...gonna use that someday soon, I'm sure!

The plans for the Seniorita were scaled to 66% at Kinko's. A little specific lightening in the wings by removing every other rib basically and other minor details got it to even less than it's supposed "scaled" weight, RTF.;)

The bolt on mod I did was almost the same, but with two carbon pins that go into the middle of the ply window block. These were anchored through a modded center section LE and ply wing joiner so the wing cups the block. I should take a pic...I didn't take too many while I built that little thing.
Add the pics of the completed mod. Someone might want to see how you did that, and maybe with enough rubber band/bolt on wing conversions, we can save a rubber tree. lol