NT BIG MIG-15 Build

david010567

aka Schlawiener
Pride of the Soviet Parades...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mXVluBxhE0w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
 

david010567

aka Schlawiener
First impression out of the box....is this is a big SOB!!! drawfs the JHI F86 and makes the BVM Viper look like a Habu....this is a BIG piece of gear.
 

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
Here's what I came up with for air valve, stem and servo locations. The wood was quite warped so I backed them with spruce sticks. Notice the lift under the air control valve to bring it up to the servo arm height. All airlines from the control valve will point down so I can tidy them up to the bottom of the fuse under the ducting.

The inlet ducting slides in and out of the nose and is secured to the nose cone with tape. The nose cone is to be attached with screws.

Batteries will go on each side of the ducting under the windscreen.
 

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
Nose gear retract, strut, wheel and servo are installed. The threaded stud that was on the strut for the steering was too short. I could only get a turn or two with the supplied nylon fitting. I swapped it out for 4-40 threaded rod, nuts and new nylon fittings.

I made small half circle notches in the wood retract rails for clearance.

Servo, retract screws were all pre-threaded into the wood, removed and the holes hit with thin CA before final installation.

Plenty of clearance between the tire and the bottom of the gear doors.

So far so good...
 

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
They covered the wrong side of one of the hatches or they want you to use a Y harness. I removed the covering on one of the hatches so the servo linkage geometry will be matched.
 

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
The roofing plywood servo mounting blocks are tossed and maple was used. All joints are double glued with 30 minute epoxy and micro-balloons. Again... all screw holes hit with thin CA.
 

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
Stab and Fin covering was trimmed back 1/8" around. Stab was positioned very carefully so that elevators are equidistant once the fairing is installed. Stab was final attached using 30 minute epoxy and balloons. Rudder hinges installed. Servo and linkage installed.
 

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
Been fitting and grinding at these plastic fairings. I had to remove a lot of material underneath the rudder. I didn't want to do it, but it had to be done. These kind of fairings can crash your plane if the rudder or elevators get hung up in them. I'm trying to maintain an 1/8" gap between the fairings and the Rudder, Elevators. I will come back later and fill the gaping hole under the rudder with some balsa. You know the routine... Beat to fit, paint to match. LOL!
 

Attachments

Top