Nitro Planes Cub Build

TManiaci

Engineer
Lifetime Supporter
Hope this one is better than most. The Nitro Models have been really terrible quality. Butter soft wood, and bad fit on the parts is pretty common. I had a 40-size Yak, the wood in the horizontal stab was so soft it folded in level flight on the maiden. I read a lot after that, and it's pretty much most of them are like that. Some good, some real bad. It's a dice-roll. Good luck. Hope you got a good one. I have been drooling over that very plane, but held off because of the quality issues.

BRUTUS

Plank Junky
Lifetime Supporter
From the pictures on the site it looks like the tail is braced up with wire. I hope you get a good one- I will always have a soft spot for Cubs.

honestjohn2

Honest John
I have one of their 120 size yaks coming, and I saw a friend's plane the other day. It's not great quality but the cost is only $199. It is $200 cheaper than an AeroWorks and it is lighter, flies great, and to me well worth the $199 price. I will let you know.

In-N-Out

previously Cowlhead
Its here Ill have to post pictures later. The only complaint I have so far is that the cowl doesn't match the rest of the plane, but that is fix with a can of cub yellow.

stang151

Pucker Hucker
Do you have any idea how many shades of "Cub Yellow" there are? I once bought 3 cans from the same manufacturer and got 3 different shades. Yellow is probably the worst color to match.

In-N-Out

previously Cowlhead
What engine would you put in this? It calls out for a 20cc gas engine, but I was thinking 26 or 28cc should be fine. Zenoah has one with electronic ignition, but so does 3w? any ideas out there?

kaveman

yes bro lol the engine sits in the front of the plane and the big wing sits on top over those things that look like little windows lol

kidding you bro

BRUTUS

Plank Junky
Lifetime Supporter
lol- I dunno- that extra 8cc might overspeed the airframe!

I think you're right- just go with it!

TManiaci

Engineer
Lifetime Supporter
Well I think im going to leave it then
Good plan, whatever they use as paint, nothing else will stick to it and cure. The last one I did, the new can of Ultracoat paint never set up, sticky mess for days. Stripped it, sanded it, and shot it with another paint type/brand, same thing. Finally had to take it down to the fiberglass so it would paint. What a mess, and all for a little touch-up.

Bundy

The Touch n Go King
hey cowlhead
i have a SPE 26 in a 2.2mtr cesna 206
and that has not missed a beat, runs well,
and easy to start too :)