New Engine Question

ben_beyer

I seem to be having a little trouble tuning my DA 60, which has less than a gallon through it. I'm using an ES Composites 55G pipe with the header DA recommended. Prop is a Mejzlik 24x10 and flying field is around 3800 ft. I think.

High end sounds good but I can never seem to get rid of the burble for anything below mid stick/throttle. My Brillelli did something similar and I just had to get it broken in by flying it. Does this sound like a similar problem (I.E. I just need to get as much fuel through the motor flying it and get it broken in) or should I go to a smaller prop like a 23x8 or Vess 23B until the motor has more time on it?

Jedijody

Proud father of Soldiers
Typically, if you go to a smaller prop the midrange burble will be worse. A bigger prop will help reduce it but I don't recommend it on a new engine. I've never run the ES pipes so I have no experience with them specifically, but every engine/pipe combo will have a best prop for all round performance. Response can be tuned somewhat with header length but there will likely be only one prop size that gives the performance you're looking for, I just don't know which one that is. Run a few more gallons through it and try a prop or two on either side of what you have, see how it tunes out after that.

roc111672

3D Farm Bartender
Yeah what Jody said. Well I guess what he said . Heck I don't know. All i lnow is I would certainly take Jody's advice. He is a wealth of knowledge and well I'm not.

ben_beyer

No problem guys. I was just curious what the consensus would be if I should just fly it or try a prop with less load. I have laminated Xoar 23x8 and I'm going to drill it and try it just to see what it does.

Tired Old Man

Staff member
It's trial and error Ben. You can take three same size, same brand engines using the same basic equipment and end up with something different for each one for their "best" performance. 1 gallon isn't broken in yet. Give it another gallon or so before trying to nail it down.

red7fifty

BadAss Member
Post a pic of your engine set up/installation too......maybe we can see something overlooked?

Last edited:

BVargas

3W Flyer
Does this burble happen to be the same while flying inverted?

your oil to fuel is approx 32:1 and plug gap is approx .018",,, yes?

red7fifty

BadAss Member
As the others' have already mentioned, probably run a few more gallons first, then might have to experiment with tuning the header length/prop combo/low needle.

What does it look like with cowl on? And, do you make the tuning adjustments with the cowl on/off?

ben_beyer

Gas : oil is 40:1 Redline and I haven't checked the gap but I'm assuming it's OK. I will see about checking it.

I fly it with the cowl on and I have a hole in the top of the cowl for tuning.

On another note, when I click on a thread, it takes me to the beginning and not to he last post I looked at. Anyone know what I need to adjust?

I tried a few different settings but can't find the right one.

Last edited: