My "Old 102" Build

david010567

aka Schlawiener
So... I now have all the parts for the DA-85 retrofit. Kevin at Jtech did me right with the custom muff. He even put a third stack in there for better breathing.

Received the Sierra Giant scale prop shaft extension and drill guide. Received the ignition battery eliminator from TBM. Also got the DA recommended Menz 26-10 break-in prop and exhaust gaskets from DA.

So what oil should I be using? LOL!

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
Not much progress...

I drilled out the Menz 26/10 prop front and back using the drill guide. Got the spinner back plate drilled. Using various layers of the best aircraft plywood available, I made the engine standoff block using the cutout template provided by Desert Aircraft. I'm a tiny bit short of where I want to be with the spacing of the spinner and the nose ring of the fuselage so I put a layer of heavy glass cloth on the the new firewall and standoff.

FYI... After making biscuits for breakfast... Turn the oven off and just pop in any of last nights glass layup's until room temperature for a nice post cure. hehehe.

Gotta come up with a plan on how to hang the fuselage nose up in my shop. grrrr!

The plan is to drill for a few 6-32 bolts and blind nuts to temporally attach the new firewall to the old, Hang the fuse up, bolt the engine to the standoff block using 1/4-20 nylon bolts and epoxy the unit in place. Once cured... I should be able to unbolt the engine and firewall to finish drilling the engine mounting bolts.

Wonder how long the 1/4-20 nylon bolts would last if the engine was running?

Attachments

10+

Professional Moderator
Hey,, You can use some tape and a 6' ladder to get your bird nose up safely. I have done it and it works great. Just make sure neither the ladder or plane can fall over...

david010567

aka Schlawiener
Hysol will be here Thursday so I have 3 days to figure out how to hang this Schmitt nose up so I can locate the engine bolts. I drilled (10) holes through the new firewall and used wood screws with washers for clamping. The screws + the (4) engine bolts should be enough clamping to make a good lamination.

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
Here is my plan... Hang the fuselage by the wing bolts and use my table to keep it from flopping over. I should be able to tape a pillow to the edge and use the table to stand on to center the engine. Open to all ideas here????

Attachments

stang151

Pucker Hucker
Is there enough room to use an "L" bracket from the wing bolts to the table? Have done this before ..don't know your clearance.

BRUTUS

Plank Junky
Lifetime Supporter
LOL I like the pipes! Reminds me of some old rednecks Kenworth with HUGE chrome stacks!

Looking Good David- once you get it running you need to post some video so we can hear her ROAR!

david010567

aka Schlawiener
Thanks Bro... I'm trying to concentrate on only the stuff I need to get done to fire it up. I'm on stay-cation between Christmas and New Years so I really want to get some good tuning time and quality flights.

david010567

aka Schlawiener
Ignition module is mounted on foam and secured with Velcro straps per DA-85 instructions. Ignition Battery Eliminator (IBE) unit is mounted to the firewall using Amazing Goop. Ignition wire insulated with plastic wrap. All cables secured.

Stacks are cut, muff is final installed with exhaust gasket, bolts are installed with Loctite thread locker. All grade 8 engine bolts are installed with lock washers and nylock nuts using socket and box end wrench. (man tools) Yeah!! Ignition leads are secured and we're Hot!

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
Tell ya what... Going from a single 1/4" firewall to a Hysol laminated 1/2" thick firewall makes the engine totally solid. No flex at all... Nada.