My new 144" build thread

david010567

aka Schlawiener
Due to the 3-1/2" x 25-1/4" size of the ailerons, making the skins is going to waste a lot of balsa. I don't want to burn 4 sheets of nice 4" wide x 48" material so I'm going to have to cut up and join some of the 3"x36".
 

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
After making the lower skin, I made a template from the plans to create the curved shape at the tip. All the little ribs I saved in a small cup were trimmed and glued down to the 3/8" T.E. set back line.

I ordered a bunch of real nice Heavy Duty flat hinges from TBM. My gut tells me we need (5) hinges per aileron. This spaces the hinges 5-3/4" on center. Sound about right??
 

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
This Aileron is a pretty big Flapper... I'm not really fond of top hinging so I'm going to deviate from the plans and double bevel the aileron leading edges. This method puts the flat hinge in the meat of the wing instead of the top sheeting. Mo betta and stronger.
 

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
Here are the completed Fliteskin TA-152 Flaps.

They are extremely flat, sharp, rigid and should never warp. I would describe the construction method but I'd rather not re-live it. Also got after the servo hatches and mounted a full car payment worth of servos. Still need to cut the slots for the servo arms.
 

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
After taking a look at this... I think we need to inlay a 3/4" strip of 1/32" plywood to reinforce the hinges where they will be slotted into the bottom skin.
 

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
1. Got the balsa filler blocks where the wing bolts will be.
2. Added new ribs to close off the ends of the flap bays at the root.
3. Made provisions for the anti-rotation dowel.

Note: The anti-rotation dowel is not structural, it's just to prevent the wing from twisting and popping the shear webs at the main spar during assembly
 

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
This wing is so scary big I wanted to be safe and added 1/8" plywood squares to the servo screw locations and reinforced all the servo bays with 30 minute epoxy.
 

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
Added 6-32 blind nuts to the gear rails and blocked off as much as I could to create the wheel well liners. The front of the wheel well was filled will expanding foam. The rear of the well was capped with 1/32" plywood along the edge of the sheeting and reinforced with glass from the inside to make everything solid.
 

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
I really wanted to sheet the tops of the wings but decided to take care of a lot of little things that are bugging me.

I in-layed a 1/32" x 1/2" wide plywood strip into the trailing edge of the wing panel to support the hinges and added hinge blocks to the inside of each hinge location. I carefully cut the 6 hinge slots keeping them straight and inline as possible. I have to admit these flap are really nice. They deploy real smooth with about 45 degrees of deflection.

This completes the bottom of the wings and they are ready to start the top sheeting process.

The 1/2" wide carbon cap I've been saving for the top of the main spars is going to lay down real nice under the top sheeting.

Gotta keep pushing on...
 

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
Spent a lot of quality time preparing and sanding the the spars, leading and trailing edges for the top sheeting to lay down real nice. The top carbon spar cap was inset and glued down. Everything is looking real good.
 

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
The top skin was pre-formed from the main spar forward with misted water and allowed to fully air dry while taped to the leading edge.

I used polyurethane glue on the top of the ribs for more working time and threw everything I got at it...rrrrr... on it.

I let it cook for 24 hours.
 

Attachments

Top