My new 144" build thread

david010567

aka Schlawiener
To Zimmerit or not to Zimmerit, this is the question?

Zimmerit was discontinued from factory application on 9 September 1944 and from field application on 7 October 1944. This was due to concerns that projectile impacts could ignite it. These proved false, but the order was never rescinded.

david010567

aka Schlawiener
Wind is starting to kick up... No more paint'n today. Will spray the bottom of the fuse first thing in the morning.

Gree

What amazing amount of progress since I last checked in! My damn subscription didn't tell me of any news posts so I've missed out for a while! Man you build so fast compared to me. I can't wait to see the paint start to go on.

Is the spinner a little short for scale?

david010567

aka Schlawiener
Thanx Gree... It's been a journey. Yes the spinner is a little short because I inset the backplate inside the lip of the cowl. I thought it didn't look right sticking out per the plans. The full scale spinner was shaped more like a football. Oh well... This is the best that can be done without custom manufacturing a new spinner.

Gotta keep humping... This beast is leaving to be painted by a Top Gun winning painter next week.

TManiaci

Engineer
Lifetime Supporter
What amazing amount of progress since I last checked in! My damn subscription didn't tell me of any news posts so I've missed out for a while! Man you build so fast compared to me. I can't wait to see the paint start to go on.

Is the spinner a little short for scale?
You would have to be a fanatic to notice THAT!