My new 144" build thread

david010567

aka Schlawiener
All new blank 1/4" plywood rib doublers were were cut and laminated with 30 minute epoxy and clamped. Once cured overnight, I carefully sanded everything nice and flush using a bench/belt sander.

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
After studying more 3-views, pictures etc... I think I'm a little off on the tire placement. The way I see it, The tire has to clear the gun barrel just inside the break in the leading edge. The center of the wing to pivot point measurement is what it is. This will work out even better because there's more "meat" in the ribs for better tire clearance.

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
Things left to do on the wing planning before laying down the spars, ribs and building out the wings...

1. Final mock up of the retracts/ribs with gear door templates and wheel well outlines.
2. Cut away area in ribs for retract bodies, hardwood rails, wheel wells etc.
3. Plan for servos leads and air lines.
4. Notch ribs for wing hold down plywood plate.
5. Cut new front wing hold down tongues (I found some nice 5 ply 1/4" plywood in my scraps)
5. Develop servo plates and hatches.
6. Notch ribs for the split flaps or whatever needs to be done at the trailing edge.
7. Trial fit the wing joiner and notch ribs as needed.

david010567

aka Schlawiener
To mark or transfer the plans to the skins, I carefully stacked and marked the edges of the skins at each rib location. After connecting the tick marks at the T.E. and L.E., I trimmed the Wing hold down bolt plate and notched the ribs so everything sits flat.

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
Worked on the final landing gear mock up. My first try was close but just all wrong. I made a new set of longer 3/4" square hardwood rails and cut the necessary notches needed to clear all the bolts and bearings for the retract bodies to drop straight in. I made paper templates from my mock up to mark the doubled up ribs and make the final cuts for the hardwood rails.

Note: In order to install the retracts or remove them, the strut needs to be brought down just enough for the brass sliding pin to line up with the slot. (see red arrow)

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
Here are some pictures of the final mock up. I'm really pleased how it turned out. Got the 2 degrees of toe in, scale tire and strut location, plenty of room for the tire to fit inside the wing, and room for the cannon between the tire and rib #3

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
To start building the wing out... I epoxied the carbon fiber capped main spar to the wing skin with the carbon strip facing down. This way it's sandwiched in between the balsa spar and the 1/8" balsa skin. I then positioned and epoxied the servo plates and wing bolt plate to the skin. The wing bolt plate was pre-beveled before gluing it down. After cutting off the rear portion of the ribs, I glued the trailing edges down and started gluing the ribs to the skins.

The servos are fitting nicely and the servo plates are locked in between the skin and the ribs.

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
The extra effort doing the mock up on top of the plans was time well spent. I simply picked up the ribs and placed them onto the wing skins and inserted the retracts and rails into position. Everything fits perfect!! Still need to work out the fit of the wing joiner, sub spars, air lines etc.

I also need to come up with a gear door template to attach to the struts for tracing the wheel well cutouts. Gotta have exit "strategery" for the retracts once they are tacked up to the ribs. I plan to tack everything up while the retracts are bolted to the rails.

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
The wheel well was cut out from the bottom wing skin and the ribs were trimmed to their final shape. The wing joiner sub-spar was installed as well as the top main spar. I will wait to put the leading edge on until the gear rails are epoxied using Hysol. This way I can get in there from the front to apply the Hysol.

Pretty much as far as I want to go with the panel for now.... So I might as well get going on the right side.

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
Shear webs are kinda fun... Probably the most critical part of the wing construction... After the upper spar is glued down and checked with a straight edge, the wing panel is weighted down and the 1/8" vertical grain balsa shear webs are cut and glued one by one on both sides of the spar. Above the wing joiner I like to put an extra web inside to create a I beam. The first five rib bays will be shear webbed using lite ply to create the sides of the box for the wing joiner. All webs and rib joints are double glued with Titebond using a metal application tip.

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
Started closing up the wing joiner box with the vertical grain lite-ply shear webs. I'm installing them one bay at a time with 30 minute epoxy. To clear out any epoxy ooze, I simply run the wing joiner in and out to swab the inside of the box.

I still have the wing weighted down until the last shear web is installed, effectively locking in the wing flat.

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
Got the front of the sheeting pulled up to the bottom of the ribs and the sub leading edge installed. The left wing panel is now to a point where I can remove the weights and remove it from my building bench. Time to lay out all the parts and start the right side.

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
Made some good progress on the right wing panel. Got the spars, ribs, all the plywood servo and wing bolt plates installed. Got the retracts tacked in place and all the trailing edge shear webs cut and installed.

Now comes the fun part. I'm gonna need to figure out how... and most important... Where???... I'm going to block up and join the two 6 foot panels together to set the wing joiner and clamp the root rib to the other wing panel.

I need a bigger shop!

Attachments

david010567

aka Schlawiener
(84) 1/8" Balsa shear webs
(20) 1/8" Lite-Ply shear webs

But who's counting.

Attachments