MVVS Thread

Tired Old Man

Staff member
Clown,

MVVS has the best top end design and components in the business with the 58 and 116. I can't speak for any of the others. They have run into some upper bearing issues periodically but I would think they should have that worked out by now. MVVS is the ONLY RC engine maker that I know of that actually uses a nikasil plating process with honing performed AFTER the plating was done. You like round cylinders? You want durable? It doesn't get any better than that. You want good heat transfer? How about superior long term compression and even ring wear? For me to have a cylinder like that made, if done in a batch of 300, would cost over $600.00/cylinder, and that's after ten or fifteen thousand dollars for the casting set up.

I have my beefs with any engine made but you know I'll give credit where it's due.

Last edited:

Classclown

Lol, *Earl, That is your name, isn't it?* When I said dinkyland, what made you think that I was talking about the US? I know those engines are not put together over here, they'd be more expensive, am I wrong? I was talking about China. And before you get a whiff that the Dinks are really Vietnamese, you will be correct, but I wanted to say dinkyland because it rolls well out of my mind right now, but was referring to the Chinese.

You wanna talk about an insult to America, go complain to the dingleberry in the White House. What he's doing to this place, that's an insult to this country.... If you voted for that piece of trash, then shame on you...Thanks for your opinions on these engines, but now, due to the mix up, I suspect your opinion. That is my right, is it not? On another note, if you think I'm messed up for hating on the Chinks, well, it's your right to think so, just as it is my right to not give a crap. Now, if you think that's really messed up, just imagine, I am part Chinese....:yikes: But it's cool, see, I am an equal opportunity hater.... Welcome to the Cirkus, Earl.

*Nobody got it???...... Sheesh, Nobody ever caught that tv show?.....My Name Is Earl? Ahhhh..... Nevermind

aussiesteve

Well - can I stir the pot a little too?

Evolution has a few sources of engines.
1 - MVVS for such offerings as the 26, 35/40, 58, 80, 116, 152 (and probably other) Gassers
2 - Chinese company that also makes a few other brands for the Glows, and the new 10cc, 15cc, 20cc and 33cc gasser offerings.
3 - Seidel (India) for the radial glow and gassers.

The MVVS based Evolution offerings are definitley different to the MVVS branded ones. For a start they have blue accessories whereas MVVS has those same accessories in Red.
It also seems that the MVVS based Evolutions are the "base models" of the engines.

Like every brand there are good and bad points and the success of the brand depends a lot on the quality of the dealers. Pe is one of the best quality dealers of anything I have ever come across - his product knowledge is second to none, in fact I would argue from personal experience that Pe has got more "User useful" MVVS knowledge than the factory itself.

Classclown

Clown,

MVVS has the best top end design and components in the business with the 58 and 116. I can't speak for any of the others. They have run into some upper bearing issues periodically but I would think they should have that worked out by now. MVVS is the ONLY RC engine maker that I know of that actually uses a nikasil plating process with honing performed AFTER the plating was done. You like round cylinders? You want durable? It doesn't get any better than that. You want good heat transfer? How about superior long term compression and even ring wear? For me to have a cylinder like that made, if done in a batch of 300, would cost over $600.00/cylinder, and that's after ten or fifteen thousand dollars for the casting set up.

I have my beefs with any engine made but you know I'll give credit where it's due.
That's all great, Pat. I have heard how great they are, when they're tuned properly, and run right. But around here, nobody I know ever uses them. Been to many events up and down the the East coast, never have I seen one, but a puny 35 in a Hangar 9 Cessna. That one sucked. Ok, maybe he didn't break it in properly, it sounded like it was tuned, I don't know. Never seen the 58, 116, and the 152. What I have seen, is that they are priced quite high, and that you had to hack the crap out of your firewall, just to get that 116 mounted. I really was interested in the difference between the two lines. I know there is a difference.... What the differences are, I'm sure Pe could answer it, and that was why I asked. The Evolution's are put together in China, right? I don't even know why I'm pushing the issue, I couldn't give ten sh!ts about either brand, but really wanted to know the difference between the two,.... for sh!ts and chuckles.... Maybe, I'll never find out, who cares...

Classclown

Well - can I stir the pot a little too?

Evolution has a few sources of engines.
1 - MVVS for such offerings as the 26, 35/40, 58, 80, 116, 152 (and probably other) Gassers
2 - Chinese company that also makes a few other brands for the Glows, and the new 10cc, 15cc, 20cc and 33cc gasser offerings.
3 - Seidel (India) for the radial glow and gassers.

The MVVS based Evolution offerings are definitley different to the MVVS branded ones. For a start they have blue accessories whereas MVVS has those same accessories in Red.
It also seems that the MVVS based Evolutions are the "base models" of the engines.

Like every brand there are good and bad points and the success of the brand depends a lot on the quality of the dealers. Pe is one of the best quality dealers of anything I have ever come across - his product knowledge is second to none, in fact I would argue from personal experience that Pe has got more "User useful" MVVS knowledge than the factory itself.
Ahhh! Finally! A bit of what I was asking for. Thanks Doug! And here I was gonna rip a joke to make you laugh and pop a stitch, but I thought that it would be a f'cked up thing to do, so I didn't :) Hey! Wait a minute, Sorry Steve. I still get you guys mixed up from that month you guys all had the same names and avatars..... :ack: I do like the look of the MVVS cannisters, and was hoping to see how they sounded on the Edge that you guys gave to Pat. Was wondering if they were any good.

Pat, doesn't ZDZ also Nikasil their cylinders and computer hone them? From the same factory as MVVS?

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
I had nothing to bring to the table so I kept quiet. Well for the most part anyways. ;)

Classclown

I had nothing to bring to the table so I kept quiet. Well for the most part anyways. ;)
I really have to look, to see which one of you guys are posting. Who was the third '08? Can't remember.

I hope I didn't chase Pe away..... sooorrrrryyyy! C'mon back Pe, lemme apologize! C'mon!

earlwb

As I understand it. Evolution gets their smaller engines, the glow engines and their newest 10cc, 15cc, and 33cc gas engines made by same factory in China that makes MAgnum, SC, and other brand engines. The UMS company in India makes the Seidel radial engines under the Evolution label now. Evolution licensed the MVVS gas engines and sold them under their own brand in the USA. MVVS makes the parts and ships it all to the Evolution warehouse in the USA and they assemble the engines around that location someplace. It would not make sense to ship all the parts to China, pay import taxes to have them assembled in China and then ship the assembled engines to the USA and pay import taxes there too. You pay for shipping twice then, plus extra taxes as well. If I remember correctly, there are no import taxes on parts being shipped in from Europe. But China does penalize anyone trying to bring in stuff to China though. So I strongly suspect they have their engine repair facility personel assemble the engines for them. But since the engine parts are not made in the USA the engines of course don't have any "made in xxxxx" on them anywhere. Plus it gives the engine repair facility something to do to keep them busy too and get experience working on model engines as well.

Tired Old Man

Staff member
Clown,

I'll have to ask you not to terrorize this thread. Please. Pe is doing a lot of factual writing and has been quite reasonable responding to reasonable criticisms. Rants are not good for anyone.

Although the large MVVS engines are not popular, they do provide more power per cc than any other engine we have available to us. Finicky they may be but that is only a factor to those that do not want to spend the time involved in working them through. I've had engines from the other major makers that were similar in nature, and I certainly don't want to talk about the number of Chinese engines I've seen, owned, or heard about that could not be dealt with at any level.

Understand I don't know if Pe is a sponsor here or not. That does not influence the manner I relate to an engine dealer or manufacturer. Honesty and integrity is what I care about and even though I have never met Pe I feel he has both. I also know he is always personally working on continuous improvement instead of tossing another model out there, which for me means more that just about anything with our engines. There's not a one of them that could not be better.

Classclown

Pat... I asked a simple question, and really wanted to know the difference. The response I got, raised a spec of the old clown response. I then wanted to apologize. I was following what he was learning, and trying to convey. I'm apologizing for the distraction, sorry for asking a question that's been asked a thousand times, I didn't think it was asked a thousand times, I really thought it was only asked 998 times, so fvck me.... Wow, grow some thicker skin you guys....

aussiesteve

As I understand it. Evolution gets their smaller engines, the glow engines and their newest 10cc, 15cc, and 33cc gas engines made by same factory in China that makes MAgnum, SC, and other brand engines.
It's actually the factory that brought us SK, Tigershark, JBA & Revolution 50's (which are now renamed JBA 50's by memory) . it is also where Michael Chow (NGH) was working before he went out to provide us with the NGH's. The company is owned by a Chinese national who has North American citizenship and has taken over the assets of a couple of ex US owned engine and airframe companies. A core business of them is armanents manufacture and they have the closest thing I have seen to an understanding of QC principles of any factory I have encountered in the RC world because of that. (Remember that QC / QA really only ensures consistency - and it could be consistent junk).

I have been inside that factory some time back when I was an importer of some of the products mentioned above - it wasn't easy getting "clearance" to do so and it involved a long train ride to get there.

aussiesteve

Clown,
Honesty and integrity is what I care about and even though I have never met Pe I feel he has both. I also know he is always personally working on continuous improvement instead of tossing another model out there, which for me means more that just about anything with our engines. There's not a one of them that could not be better.
If you ever get the chance, even if it means you need to go out of your way to do so, make a point of meeting Pe. I am positive you two would get on like a house on fire and I wouldn't mind being there at the same time (let me know if it is ever likely to happen)
I have met him and he is one of the best people I have ever met in RC land. His passion and knowledge regarding all things mechanical, including engines is absolutely superior than most realise and I have had the good fortune to benefit from his "user useful" knowledge when it came to sorting out some problems I was having with some MVVS related product a while back (even before I met him). The fact that he is a damn good bloke of the highest integrity and who lives in one of the prettiest parts of the Netherlands just makes that even better. (He actually does have a good sense of humor)

earlwb

A few years ago MAgnum was going to sell a .52 gas engine and then suddenly it went quiet and Magnum acted like it had gone way. Then last fall Evolution suddenly out of the blue came out with their 10cc gas engine. It had the same carburetor that the MAgnum engine had on it. So Evolution apparently had taken it over ahd finished it to sell. So I assume that the same engine company that made Magnums also made the Evolution engines too. But they could have simply bought the rights to it or something though and the other engine company makes it.

pereivers

Stop it! This is not going anywhere.
I am trying to get that clown on the ignore list, but can't find it in the Circus. Pat is looking it up.

Last edited: