MVVS Thread

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
I thought I would start a general thread on MVVS engines. A place to showcase them and share tips and tricks, performance results, etc.

I just bought my first MVVS used nib, literally. The break in oil is still sealed in it's bag and the ignition and other stuff looks like it has never been unpacked. No different if I had just bought it from a dealer. I figure I saved close to 200 bucks on it. I am very happy to say the least. This one is the MVVS Prosport 58 Limited Edition. I have done some research on the net on setting it up as well as talking to both Ari and Steve who are experienced with this line of engines. Can't wait to get this puppy installed and running.
:drool:

Attachments

Tired Old Man

Staff member
Looks good but could use a little better color coordination;) I very much like the air filter mount that's on on the carb!

Tired Old Man

Staff member
I also like the way they did the engine mount. If you smack the engine the legs on the mount can break away without affecting the engine case.

Like the 116-152 if you choose to run a bare prop you use the rear prop washer but if using a spinner the rear prop washer can be discarded. Best plan for what you want to do when you lay out the engine/firewall separation distance.

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
I never thought about that Pat, I assumed the washer would be used all the time. What you say makes perfect sense.

Travis I will just stay with the factory ring. It looks very good.

james

That is a good looking engine. Do they use cylinder studs and nuts? Dont see that very often.

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
Ah crap stuck my foot in my mouth again. I am famous for it at work as I come out with some lines that are of great entertainment to the girls. I have to learn to take every word out of my mouth and examine them with great care before releasing them from my lips.

Buttface

You want me to do what...?
I'm gonna try out some Bowman rings man. I have been chatting with him and others using his rings report the compression is better, idle is better, more power & response, heat decreases approx. 30 to 40 degrees.

And there CHEAP. :biggrin:

Many guys swap out the stock rings in new motors for Bowman rings .

Bowman rings are made unlike any other rings. They are unique.
He even makes custom rings.

Tired Old Man

Staff member
They seat quickly but in the engines I've tried them in they provided no additional benefit. However, most of the rings in those engines started out as better than average quality and none of the engines were Chinese, so I'm sure some products do better with them than others. Be sure to verify the end gap if you use them. Leave yourself about .003". They are usually sized pretty close to the cylinder size.

I would not want to use a Bowman ring on a true nikasil lined cylinder. They would likely wear too fast. The MVVS 116 has what appears at a glance to be nikasil plating. If it was honed after plating the 58 prolly does too.