Multirotors

Discussion in 'General Plane Discussion' started by Tired Old Man, Jun 4, 2014.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating:

1. May 20, 2015 #461

Super08

Super08

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;) Lifetime Supporter

I have joined into the multirotor family in the last year as well. I started off with a little Dromida Ominus and then a DJI P2. I just moved up to a Inspire and had my first flight with it yesterday. The speed of it is amazing. It can really perform.

2. May 20, 2015 #462

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

God help us all...

I ordered a used Proto X from Ebay, and when it arrived I discovered it was defective. I emailed Hobbico and they are sending me replacement parts. So, now I have three?

Oh- I tried the Tie fighter "blade protectors" and they were crap. The plastic modeling was horrendous, and it looked like the maker machine was set to 11 on speed and plastic. I used Goop to glue it together, and soon discovered that the quad was waaayyyy to heavy, was barely controllable, and tha tthe prop guards just bend out of the way, and you whack your props anyway. SO, I give this product two thumbs down.

Attached Files:

3. May 21, 2015 #463

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

More power. Try installing some T-Motor U-11's;)

4. May 21, 2015 #464

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

You are the last person I can think of that needed another endeavor, lol. Welcome aboard! You have to build your next one;)

5. May 21, 2015 #465

Super08

Super08

Super08

I think
    My next one will be a little 250 class racer. I want to see if I can get others up here interested in racing together.

6. Jun 6, 2015 #466

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

That's MISTER idiot to you!

Couple of days ago I clipped a tree in a local park with my Blackout, doing about 45mph. Took out a decent divot and sounded like a gunshot it hit so hard.

[​IMG]

Not even a scratch on the aircraft. Didn't even break a prop. Blew my mind!

7. Jun 6, 2015 #467

Super08

Super08

Super08

8. Jun 6, 2015 #468

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

Not to be a spoil sport but that should be plenty of reinforcement for the imperative to have a spotter when flying FPV. Had that tree been a human....

9. Jun 6, 2015 #469

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

I had a spotter :thumbsup: We found an empty park since about a third of my regular field is underwater right now :banghead:

I was flying through the middle of this stand of trees when I caught an unexpected wind gust.

[​IMG]

10. Jun 6, 2015 #470

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

Wow. Quite an impact! Looks like you went after that tree with a hatchet...

11. Jun 6, 2015 #471

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

That's it, blame it on a wind gust rather than admit your aim was waaaay off;)

Super08 likes this.
  12. Jun 6, 2015 #472

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

I'm usually first to admit fault if it's dumb thumbs :( This time I feel like I can partially blame the wind even though I wasn't quick enough to correct for it that time :D

BTW, for you guys that know more about these, the motors on my Blackout (Cobra 2204s) sound kinda funny (well before this impact). Sort of a shaky sound under acceleration. Not sure when it started, but it was fine in one of the older videos I have.

Would that mean I have a motor or ESC going bad, or more likely to be a tuning issue?

Also, for any of you interested in FPV racing, I found a good sim called Freerider. It's about $5 but has a free demo.

http://fpv-freerider.itch.io/fpv-freerider

It's actually pretty decent.

13. Jun 7, 2015 #473

Super08

Super08

Super08

Too funny Pat.

14. Jun 7, 2015 #474

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

I have to give Monkey some credit here. He didn't blame the radio:)

15. Jun 11, 2015 #475

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

I spent an hour and a half fiddling with a MoVi, RC shutter cable, 14SG and GH4 trying to figure out why it wouldn't work.

MoVi is using SBUS, and working properly. But when trying to get the shutter cable working, I was having NO response on any channel or any setup that I tried. I was tearing my hair out. I stopped twice and gave up because I couldn't figure out what the problem was. It worked fine with my JR...

Receiver is an R6303. 4 outputs... one SBUS, 3 for other servos. You can select which channels the 1st and 2nd output will utilize, which is nice. Oddly, the outputs are flipped on each side, meaning you have to plug one side in in the opposite direction from the other. I did that, with no problem... nothing was working though.

Finally, I actually took a chance and flipped the connector around (using JR style, not Js)... and it magically worked :eek:ut:

This caused a quandary. Why on Earth would it work when it was plugged in BACKWARDS? Did the worker who assembled my shutter cable plug the extensions in backwards??

As I was going to fiddle with them, it finally struck me.... I look at the SBUS cable (also a JR style). Looked at the MoVi SBUS input.

Flipped both ends of the plug.

I had plugged it in backwards when we got the MoVi.

Since the gimbal doesn't care what colors the wires are, it worked fine. But since the GH4 connector is a 2.5mm plug on the other end, it can't be plugged in backwards... so when I looked at the SBUS plug on the receiver, I saw how it was aligned and carefully plugged in the shutter cable.... backwards, which I thought was correct.

:banghead:

Ugh. Me and my stupid brain. At least I got it figured out.

Also have the Connex mounted on my little Tarot to test, and also tested the Kopterworx HDMI to AV converter which works PERFECTLY! I can now drop the weight of the HD transmitter for non-critical jobs, and use a standard Immersion 600mw VTX instead... for about a tenth of the price of the Connex, which lets me breathe easier while flying.

It's all coming together. Again.

Mainly just waiting for a cold shoe plate mount for the transmitters, then figure out how to mount the PTAP distributor. It adds a little weight, but is very handy...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  16. Jun 12, 2015 #476

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

You have a MoVi. I'm very, very jealous. The tree hugger in me forgives you:prrr:

17. Jun 13, 2015 #477

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

It is very, very, very nice, too :thumbsup:

Cold shoe plate mount arrived today and it looks like it'll be absolutely PERFECT for this application. I'll be using Scotch plastic fasteners on it so I can easily swap between the standard def and Connex downlinks.

I can't believe I'm this close to being done with this mess... I'll be able to reclaim my kitchen table :D

Last piece of the puzzle is getting the PTAP distribution board mounted, which means fabbing up a little CF piece to bolt above the new battery cage along with a voltage monitor and alarm.