Multirotors

Discussion in 'General Plane Discussion' started by Tired Old Man, Jun 4, 2014.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating:

1. Apr 29, 2015 #441

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

This forum is seriously about mulitrotors. It's not an anti MR thread at all. It's about the good and the bad, what works and what don't, learning how, and utilizing the many capabilities they have to offer, safely and productively.

If there's something you want to discuss about MR's, please do.

2. Apr 29, 2015 #442

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

That's MISTER idiot to you!

I was making a reference to the guy on MRF that got all peeved when people had the audacity to question him about what he's actually accomplished besides describing how he'd like an FPV race course that involved crashing through trees and getting blown around by Harbor Freight fans :D

Speaking of "advanced concepts" though, I just ordered parts to hopefully build a simple battery tray for our MoVi. Partner did a very rushed setup, which worked, but was ugly and heavy (just the cage around the camera weighs 10oz! :yikes:). Now that he's working out of state for a couple more months, I grabbed the MoVi out of his garage and am working on simplifying and streamlining the setup.

His setup: GH4, Teradek Bolt 2000 transmitter (SDI), HDMI to SDI converter, 3300mah 4S battery (to power everything), camera cage, GH4 remote power adapter.

My proposed setup (HD): GH4, Connex HD transmitter, remote shutter, battery, GH4 remote power adapter.... :)

Proposed setup (SD): GH4, Kopterworx HDMI to AV converter, Immersion 600MW TX, remote shutter, battery, GH4 remote power adapter...

Both of the proposed setups should be capable of using MUCH smaller batteries for power. I'm shipping him the Bolt 2000 tomorrow since he needs it, and he's shipping the Connex to me so I can get it figured out. The Connex TX is HALF the weight of the Bolt 2000, and dropping the HDMI/SDI converter will save several ounces as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing how much weight I can drop!

3. Apr 29, 2015 #443

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

I just have to come to Texas to see your stuff one of these days.

4. Apr 29, 2015 #444

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

Nothing special yet, I'm just trying to make it all work! If all goes well we'll have a very nice pair of film rigs set up soon.

The A2 has been put into DJI's service system, or whatever they call it. Probably a month until I hear anything on that :(

5. Apr 29, 2015 #445

Vital-Rc

Vital-Rc

Vital-Rc

Good luck on there turn around time , I sent a wookong flight system in for them to check the pmu . They told me what I already knew ( must be used to talking to phantom users) and shipped it back. The whole process took 3.5 weeks and then when I finally checked the contents they didn't ship the flight controller back ! On the phone another 2 hours and they finally said they would ship one and it would take 4-5 weeks . I told them that wasn't going to work and had it back in 2 more weeks . The good thing they shipped me a brand new one the bad they lost my mc with all my gain settings . Make sure you open the package asap to check the contents .

I love dji flight controllers but hate there business model .

Anyways a new racer is on the build table.

Attached Files:

6. Apr 29, 2015 #446

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

The local RC club has informed me I have a MR event to put together for August. I'm trying to put together MR racing as part of the deal. I'm open to ideas from anyone about whet might be fun and interesting MR activities to fill the event bill.

7. Apr 30, 2015 #447

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

Good grief... yeah, I've heard the horror stories but at the moment DJI is what I know, and they've worked well for me in the past, so that's what I'm stuck with at the moment.

Racer is looking good, what is it? I'm waiting for initial reviews on the Immersion Vortex, I really want one. Need to work on my Blackout too since it flies sideways :ack:

Hmm. Line of sight obstacle courses could be fun... just had an event like that in DFW.

[​IMG]

I didn't make it but it looked like fun.

FPV racing would be great if enough people are into it... maybe a simple pylon course for the newer pilots, and a more hardcore one for the ones that really get into it... I've been thinking about doing the same, mostly with pool noodles for obstacles/gates at my field. Unfortunately it's just me at the moment but I have a couple of friends building racers now.

An easy search and rescue or "scavenger hunt" might be cool... put a few targets out in a field, like mannequins (or blow up dolls), bright clothing or things like that and see who can find everything the fastest, or how many they find within a time limit.

Climb'n'glide? :D

I want to rig up a simple grappling-hook style system and do this kind of stuff (on a smaller scale of course):

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08K_aEajzNA[/ame]

Also like to have a bucket with a release system to put out tiny controlled fires...

8. May 9, 2015 #448

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

Hell might not have frozen over, but a cold front definitely rolled through.

my first quad. I can make left handed circles around the shop. Right handers are a little tougher...

Attached Files:

9. May 10, 2015 #449

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

Thanks big time!

10. May 10, 2015 #450

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

A very good starting point. You actually have to fly those and they are great at developing the "muscle memory. Plus you can fly them in your living room:) Work on figure 8's both directions and maneuvering "nose in". It's more challenging that it looks.

11. May 10, 2015 #451

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

No kidding. Like flying a heli. The thing I like about it is that it needs to be flown. Takes a lot of concentration and tiny corrections.

I've been flying it in the shop, and figure 8s' are the maneuver of the day!

12. May 11, 2015 #452

Vital-Rc

Vital-Rc

Vital-Rc

Monkey it's a zmr250 100% carbon frame version . I'm runing a cc3d using open flight , hated it at first but an hour into I'm starting to like it. It's getting close , very responsive and fun to fly .

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84XD3qnm_Qg&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Welcome to the dark side Cody !

13. May 11, 2015 #453

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

Cool, looks good! I really gotta get a new racer...

14. May 11, 2015 #454

Vital-Rc

Vital-Rc

Vital-Rc

For the money you can't beat it, all electronics (minus rx and battery) for $100.

15. May 15, 2015 #455

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

Welp, the gimbal work begins... finally got the rest of the parts in. Lots of waiting for what should be a fairly simple setup.

I got several CF battery plates, some boom clamps, and standoffs... basically, I'll use the battery plates to build a very simple battery holder with Velcro on one end so I can quick-change accessory batteries on the MoVi M10 WITHOUT risking balancing issues (previous setup had them just velcroed on top of the camera cage). I'm making the cage big enough that I can use the largest battery option, and then use hard foam spacers for when I use smaller batteries.

The nice thing is that smaller batteries are now an option, since all they have to run will be the Connex and GH4.

Also tested out the GH4 remote shutter cable from Quadrocopter today and it works great. I think I'll mount it semi-permanently since it's fairly light, and control it from the gimbal receiver.

Then I'll make a little quick-release module consisting of an ImmersionRC 5.8ghz VTX, Kopterworx HDMI converter and small voltage regulator for when we can use SD video, then a PTAP to XT60 converter for when we need the Connex.

I wonder how this mess is going to turn out... :ack:

16. May 16, 2015 #456

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

Intriguing, but effective. I wanna see;)

17. May 16, 2015 #457

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

Aaaaand I forgot I needed at least 6 standoffs instead of 4 for the battery cage/tray... sooo more coming in. Oops.

18. May 16, 2015 #458

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

I know how that works.

I don't know if you've noticed, but good batteries are getting harder to find. The inventories of Gens Ace and Tattu are depleting.

19. May 17, 2015 #459

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

I haven't shopped for big batteries lately... I think we have 3-4 sets of 16ks and about 7 sets of 10ks so we should be okay right now. Glad we got them already.

20. May 20, 2015 #460

LycraCladChamp

LycraCladChamp

LycraCladChamp

Hey all,

I have recently also caught the quad bug. However I haven't yet purchased one. I am a total noob when it comes to flying these things and I have flown in many years, maybe 2003/2004 was my last flight on a foamy. Can you guys recommend a good stable platform that I can start out on and hopefully scale it up over time to have a camera/gimbal and maybe even FPV. I would be using the camera for capturing footage of friends rock climbing and slacklining, not perving out. I have seen the ZMR250 Vital is building but it seems a bit too small for a camera. I would like to stay away from DJI as I have heard nothing but bad about them. Thanks in advanced for the input.