Multirotors

Discussion in 'General Plane Discussion' started by Tired Old Man, Jun 4, 2014.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating:

1. Apr 3, 2015 #421

lxcoupe

lxcoupe

lxcoupe

Can I say that?

Thanks!!!

2. Apr 3, 2015 #422

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

That's MISTER idiot to you!

I'm thinking about doing it. The last time I flew in a GA aircraft was probably over 10 years ago. My dad was a pilot so I flew frequently as a kid, and I've flown a sailplane and a few more times along with a LOT of commercial flying.

I dunno what happened. It's not really a heights thing, I'm not really scared of heights but I'm not overly comfortable.. more distrustful of whoever built whatever I'm standing on :D

It just felt like something changed on that flight out of KAF, like I never wanted to even look at a commercial aircraft... which sucked, because then I had a 16 hour flight back to DFW. I've had to fly once more since then on a kinda-emergency and it still bothered me :(

Then of course I got messed up on a ride at Disneyworld (Mission: Space) and my head hasn't felt 100% ever since then, so that's another factor. Ugh.

:yikes:

Ours never got shot at as far as I can remember. We did have a firefight right outside the base one day though... I know I heard M203s and a MK19 firing, along with what sounded like an M240 and more distant AKs. We asked what was going on and were told it was a car backfiring :prrr:

3. Apr 3, 2015 #423

lxcoupe

lxcoupe

lxcoupe

Can I say that?

We had a truck backfire all over us at ghazni. 6000lbs of hme. I was 150m from the blast crater flying a mission. That was a really bad day.

4. Apr 3, 2015 #424

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

Makes me glad that nothing ever happened in our little area. Guess that's what happens when you're across the street from a US-friendly warlord :D We had a few car bombs in town but nothing major.

That had to be a hell of a thump for you guys.

TOM, that Tarot landing gear should arrive today for the Cinestar. I'm really hoping that it's a drop-in fit!!

5. Apr 3, 2015 #425

Vital-Rc

Vital-Rc

Vital-Rc

Was in the IT room the other day and this LCD screen was about to be thrown away since we all use 23 plus size monitors now . I snatched it up and striped it down, my case now serves as a ground station for when I don't want to use googles or for anyone who wants to ride along at the Rc field . It's a WIP but getting there , waiting on a few electronics to show up in the mail before I can put the done stamp on it .

Any one have a video cable that fits a imr UNO 5800v2 ?

Attached Files:

6. Apr 4, 2015 #426

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

Lookin' good Vital. Can't help on the cable.

If you were stuck flying AMC I can understand why your mind turned on flying. If the one regional carrier even more so.

7. Apr 6, 2015 #427

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

Friend drove all the way from Austin to Ft. Worth so I could help him get an F550 and Aquacopter working (Naza V2 and Lite, respectively). Supposedly a friend had built the Aqua for him and test flew it, but if so the guy was an idiot :eek:ut: The Aquacopter had at least two motors turning in the wrong direction AND they were plugged into the FC incorrectly. Finally got it sorted, but it lacked a LOT of power and I don't think it was my battery... not sure of the reasons yet.

Either way, I had just taken the cover off the electronics and was pulling them out when I heard a pop and sizzle and a lot of smoke boiled out. Still not exactly sure what happened, but it appears that a possible tear in the negative side of the VU wire shorted on the PDB. Looks like the VU is fried so I linked him to a new one... hopefully the thing will be flyable after that's replaced.

The F550 took a lot of work... his buddy walked him through the build, but neglected to tell him that the motors were directional (DJI motors with spin-on props). I had to uninstall all but two motors and reinstall them in the right places and do some soldering (friend has zero background in this stuff).

Eventually though, everything was sorted and we had a couple of successful backyard test flights.

The good news is that he's a marketing guy, and offered to help me get some personal jobs here in DFW and elsewhere (they're not even flying yet and already have 6 appointments from a weekend of drumming up business). I already have the go-ahead from my partner to use company equipment (for a rental fee) to do my own work, which I won't be doing with the film rig, but will definitely be taking him up on when we have a better still photo setup.

Soooo... yeah. Fun day. After the short I kept imitating the frying noise every time I'd plug something in on the 550 :D Had him pretty jumpy by the time he left.

8. Apr 6, 2015 #428

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

You're a cold man;) OTOH,, I used to stomp on Styrofoam cups at flying fields when people had their backs turned to their planes.

'coupe,

6000lbs is A LOT of bang! You make me wistful for the good ol' days of rockets and mortars.

9. Apr 6, 2015 #429

lxcoupe

lxcoupe

lxcoupe

Can I say that?

I just had a successful first weekend with the IRIS. It seems like a good rig. I have a lot to learn and read up on for sure. There were times when it did something and I didn't know why it was doing it and other times where I was trying to get it to fly to a wp and it would not. So this was just a get to know it couple of days. I'm going to just take it slow, I gotta remember to take notes when I'm out flying it.... lol

they still got rockets and mortars.

10. Apr 11, 2015 #430

Vital-Rc

Vital-Rc

Vital-Rc

Well my RCA to vga converter came in , bad thing it likes 5volts so I had to do some more wiring then I planned but it was pretty simple . It's coming together . Other then time I got about 15$ in the whole setup . Not bad for fixing broken electronics and dumpster diving.

The system is running off 3s lipos , with 6 amps I should get about 1 to 1.5 hrs not counting for thermo loss. Need a master switch and a cover plate to finish it off.

Attached Files:

11. Apr 11, 2015 #431

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

Pretty darn useful set up!

12. Apr 11, 2015 #432

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

The new Tarot retracts are mostly installed on the Cinestar, just waiting on extensions. They're mounted so far apart they won't reach the controller.

Cycled them a few times and they seem strong. We'll see how the first test flight goes next week.

13. Apr 16, 2015 #433

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

First time chasing a friend around with my Tarot... got a few decent seconds of footage. Need to do this more often, it's fun!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o68DC-puP00[/ame]

14. Apr 16, 2015 #434

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

Nicely done! I really like the footage near the end where you went from following to leading. Nice directional transition. I doubt people have any idea how difficult it is to follow and film another flying model and keep it in the frame. You should put that up at MR as well.

15. Apr 16, 2015 #435

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

Thanks, I posted it up.

It's definitely not easy, especially with the sun in your eyes (I was flying with FatSharks). I really want to do more now, especially with warbirds! I love shooting other aircraft.

[​IMG]

16. Apr 18, 2015 #436

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

NAB show in Vegas.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J04UOEMmoX8&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

17. Apr 18, 2015 #437

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

Partner thought he would be working on a TV show during NAB so we didn't go... then the show got pushed by a week right before. He was REALLY disappointed after seeing some of the stuff coming out!

I had never kept up with NAB until last year. There's some amazing stuff out there, next year will probably be even better!

18. Apr 20, 2015 #438

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

Learned something really important about setting up a Vector FC today. If you don't set up the throttle end points with the throttle trim centered you'll never, ever get the ESC's to arm. The Vector also acts like a DJI product in one respect after arming. It auto disarms if it does not see additional throttle input after a couple of seconds.

Too bad the Vector is limited to a hex or less, but setting up the OSD through the FC set up is really nice. Lots of good stuff to choose from for the display.

19. Apr 21, 2015 #439

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

Sounds like an interesting controller. I'm curious about the new Freefly Synapse too, but from what I hear it won't be sold as a standalone product, only with their aircraft.

Partner showed interest in the Freefly Mimic, and it gave me an idea... today I set up my FatShark headtracker to control tilt on my H3-3D gimbal and it worked VERY smoothly. I was too busy to test fly it, but the next step is to mix it to yaw as well (to control camera pan, since I'm a little jerky on the stick sometimes) and see if I can do some more complex shots. I think it's going to work!

Since it does appear to work, I'm going to mock up a handheld controller for the partner to see if he likes that style of control before dropping the money on the Mimic. I like being a smart feller :thumbsup::eek:ut:

Vital-Rc likes this.
  20. Apr 28, 2015 #440

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

MadMonkey

TOM, we need some very advanced multirotor concepts up in here... or is this forum ANTI-IDEA? :D

Friend is shipping me our new Connex HD downlink, and I'm heading to his house to pick up the rest of the Bolt 2000 to ship to him (needs to rent it for a TV show). I'm excited to try out the Connex, the transmitter is HALF the weight of the Bolt!