Mithy's Green Flag SX w/WWW170

BVargas

3W Flyer
Progress!,,, after a full tank of gas and playing the needle game,,, I think the engine is Full Mission Capable(FMC). Operating temps were well within the 3W parameters but that was with cowl off.

Time to check for loose stuff and check CG and WX permitting should be a go tomorrow :)

BV

Attachments

Last edited:

BVargas

3W Flyer
Well,,, a minor set-back today while performing another ground check of my engine. While the engine was at idle, the carb sprung a leak,,, yup, thats a puddle of gas under the plane while the engine is running at idle,,, bummer.

I opt'd for the rebuild kit and a new walbro carb is plan B.

BV

Attachments

BVargas

3W Flyer
Houston, we go to green!!!

Thanks to Gerhard for helping me solve the drippy carb!

As it turned out to be a small adjustment on the plunger arm that stopped the leak during ground idle runs.

I can t wait to buzz the tower :coolama:

BV

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
Bills plane flew Saturday... super smoooooth!!

wow! the 3W170 on L90K's was clearly more zippy than a Cowl Muff'd da170!

dkjens

Bills plane flew Saturday... super smoooooth!!

wow! the 3W170 on L90K's was clearly more zippy than a Cowl Muff'd da170!
Dude, how can you, especially as an engineer, even say something like that? An engineer of all people should know to compare apples to apples, no?

BVargas

3W Flyer
Smoooooth and lands like a feather too!

I put a few more flights on her today. I started out with serveral iterations of ground runs to set the carb plunger, 1/64th of an inch at a time by using a machinest rule and a 2x magifier glass. Throttle responce is now acceptable and cylinder temps are still below 170F,,, she's a wee bit on the fat side but thats ok in my book for now.

She only requires a a slight push on the stick while inverted and tucks into the belly on the knife. Right now just to keep things on the slow side,,, I'm running the Mejz 33 X 10 prop and a 32 x 10 is in the mail. A long time motorhead friend of mine, Ken Laski, once taught me to sneak up on the power by going slow,,, so thats what I am doing.

Its nice to have power on tap and not having to worry about fluttering the crap out of ailerons like on those balsa ARF planes(for which I was a victim of this past summer).

2 things I really enjoy about this plane thus far is the base to final and the ability to slow it up at show center for the spin with rudder and elev only,,, and its only going to get better:coolama:

Thanks AGAIN to those that helped me get her going,,, you know who you are!

BV
ps. I don t need no stinking trailer:biggrin:

Attachments

Last edited:

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
Dude, how can you, especially as an engineer, even say something like that? An engineer of all people should know to compare apples to apples, no?
Well of course a "Fair" comparison would be a 3W with Canisters compared to a DA with canisters....

my point was how dramatic the overall difference was on two identical planes....

BRUTUS

Plank Junky
Lifetime Supporter
Nice! Is that VVRC? Looks similar- but there are a few things that throw me off- like the concrete taxi way's, and the second pavillion...

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
Nice! Is that VVRC? Looks similar- but there are a few things that throw me off- like the concrete taxi way's, and the second pavillion...
yup... the old FOGS seem to always have more improvements in the que...

bad arse facility....

can you believe, I let my 13 year old son fly it!!! he can do the whole deal... take off to landing....

what am I thinking!?!?!?!?!? :ack:

BRUTUS

Plank Junky
Lifetime Supporter
Do you know how bad he would feel if he lost you that airplane? I bet he's on best behavior flying it! If it were my kid, I'd be proud as hell! But I would let him know before hand, you break it, YOU buy it! Lifetime lawn mowing, snow shoveling, yard work, and chores all at minimum wage put toward replacing the airframe!

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
Do you know how bad he would feel if he lost you that airplane? I bet he's on best behavior flying it! If it were my kid, I'd be proud as hell! But I would let him know before hand, you break it, YOU buy it! Lifetime lawn mowing, snow shoveling, yard work, and chores all at minimum wage put toward replacing the airframe!
I may be crazy but I ain't Stoopid!! lol

I have him hooked up to a Buddy Box!! lol he he he he

but he is about at the point, I can sever the cord!!!

wow!! what am I thinking??? Maybe I am stoopit!!

;)

Classclown

Lol, Now you're gonna have to find him a 2.6m fixer upper, oh snap! Cody's got an old 2.6m FiberClassics Extra sitting around, that could benefit from your magic fingers!!!:biggrin: