Mithy Flight Log

Discussion in 'Circus Flight Log' started by Mithrandir, May 14, 2009.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating:

1. Oct 15, 2012 #181

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

I love my 2.6 Extra! It's no 3DHS Koolaide, and is a little heavier, but it makes you a better pilot! I can't imaging not having one. It's my tried and true, trusty old friend that is almost always ready to go when my more fragile Balsa planes are the worse for wear.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  2. Oct 15, 2012 #182

Classclown

Classclown

Classclown

Chris, that is too cool!!!:thumbsup: I feel like I've hit a mini lottery!!!:biggrin:

3. Oct 15, 2012 #183

Classclown

Classclown

Classclown

How much does yours weigh? I just put my 2servo SWB tray together this morning, with 8711HV's, it weighs a considerable amount, now I'm starting to wonder if all that classy crap is worth the extra weight.:ack:

4. Oct 16, 2012 #184

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Circus Staff Lifetime Supporter

Actually, Jens is the original assembler... and I dunno if he did that or not.. it seems I can get about 45 degrees of flipper action though....

here is another video looking out the front....

WOW!!! Really shows every mistake!!! :(

[ame]http://youtu.be/imclhvCE7JA[/ame]

5. Oct 17, 2012 #185

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Mikey flying the SX

[ame]http://youtu.be/IfiOIsCK56Q[/ame]

6. Aug 12, 2013 #186

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

well.... over the past few months... my engine has slowly lost power..... got to the point where it would hover at 100% power and no pull out.....

thought it was something I did... maybe it was.. dunno... I checked that TDC was TDC (so timing was correct).... tried a different ignition.. tried a different carb & reed block.... just no power!! started easy... idled OK... transitioned OK... just no power.... so saturday.. I replaced the motor with my 2nd 3W170.... and a new set of Pro-Flow 3D Cannisters....

Holy Sheep Sh!t Batman!!! The old COmpy I have known and loved had returned!!!
    I had enough power to do two snaps on an upline and keep going!!.. it would pull out of a hover.... Life is good again!!!

FOlks.. let me be real.... I have tried cannisters before.. I could never get'em right... always a dead-zone, hysteresis,... something.....

I put the Pro-Flows on and it was like cowl muff linear... only quieter and MORE power!!! Clearly more power than my 170 had with cowl muffs.... the prop I am using is an MSC 32 x 10 and no way would my 170 turn that before with cowl muffs.....

I actually had to take out the throttle curve I had and just used a linear setup....

Regarding the motor.... other than more power, my new 170 temps lower at the end of a flight.. like 25 degrees lower... (165 vs 190 deg f).... but when I start it, during the "Flipping" stage when you are choke'ing the motor... the new motor will bounce back and forth a lot more ... you know how the prop goes through the compression as you flip it and then it bounces back and forth..... I can't feel a drag difference between the old 170 and the new one.. but it is there..... so I am gonna try to inspect for a bad bearing or maybe a ring issue???

But so far... after 3 flights... I am hooked on Pro-Flows... no kidding... quiet power..... smooooooth transition!!!

7. Aug 12, 2013 #187

Classclown

Classclown

Classclown

Pull the plugs out, does the crank turn smoothly? Yeah, it's gotta be bearings or worn rings/cylinders if everything else was checked. You used to have a DA170 on that plane before, right? Big difference? Gonna be working on my SX this winter, and I still have to get an engine for it.

8. Aug 12, 2013 #188

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

the DA170 with cowl muffs was only a little more power than a DA150.... never had a chance to run it with cans... sold it and went to the 3W170... initially with L90K's... didn't like the transition.. went to cowl muffs.... definitely more power than a DA170.... now with the Pro-Flows... it is more power than the Cowl Muffs and quieter.... with a really nice transition.... and no hysteresis...

tastes great AND less filling

9. Aug 12, 2013 #189

Classclown

Classclown

Classclown

Man, I guess I will do the 3W with Dave's cans! When you dabbled with the L90's, how long were your headers? That might have been the problem. On the Pro Flows, did you do the little H-pipe trick? I remember Dave talking about that when he unleashed those cans.

10. Aug 13, 2013 #190

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!

Mike, I would be willing to bet that your L90's are clogged. When you swapped engines, you did cans to, correct?? Or did you go from stock mufflers to cans??

11. Aug 13, 2013 #191

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

I got the cans from someone who was using them on their 170... I never fussed with header length....

I got the headers for the Pro-Flows from a buddy here.. no Can-to-Can connection.... just hooked'em up and went for it....

This last go-round.. I was running cowl muffs and then tried the PF's with the sick motor.... no power either way... when I swapped engines.. the Pro-Flows were already in place... and life is good!!

I think I can lean the needles a little more as it temped 25 degrees cooler... but I am feeling a bit greedy if I do!!

12. Aug 13, 2013 #192

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!

I gotcha, Mike. Sounds like that 170 had been getting sick for awhile now. Good thing you had another engine lying around to try.

13. Aug 13, 2013 #193

Classclown

Classclown

Classclown

You bought them from Bill Vargas? I saw him selling the SX on FlyinGeeks a couple weeks ago. I could use his spare canopy...

14. Aug 13, 2013 #194

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!

I bought his 170 cylinders and pistons for my LS 157. Working on putting it together. My spirolox arent gonna work, so I had to get some internal snap rings for it.

I dont think Mike bought anything from Bill.......... Could be wrong.....

15. Aug 14, 2013 #195

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

naw.. I got the L90K's several years ago... like 5 years ago... never got'em to transition.. so I shelved'em...

I actually traded some rear dump Pro-Flows to Bill for his front dump Pro-Flows...and that is what I put in the SX

I think you can order a new canopy from CARF.. actually not too 'spensive...

16. Aug 14, 2013 #196

Classclown

Classclown

Classclown

Yeah, I gotta call Andy and find out, they took the older parts pages out, since they went to the new SP. But I hear that the fuse is still the same one, the differences are the ailerons, the cowl, canopy deck, and the canopy. Let me ask you a question, does your fuse have the two locations for the wing tube? Mine does, trying to figure out when that particular fuse was made.

17. Aug 14, 2013 #197

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

My FUTABA scheme had the two locations for the holes that the threaded stubs poked through... but I think that was an original option only available for the "Blade" spar configuration... when they went to the tube... they settled on one spot.

IMHO, the plane ought to have the stab moved back about 4 inches, lowered about one inch, the wing raised about 2 inches and one inch back....

18. Aug 14, 2013 #198

Classclown

Classclown

Classclown

So your saying your Futabe scheme had two locations for the wing spars? Mine has two locations for the wing tube, along with the corresponding holes for the wing nuts. I was wondering if anybody actually flew it in the rear tube location. A buddy of mine has a newer SX with the single wing tube, I just got off the phone with him a few minutes ago. Asked him to measure the tube location on his, so I can see where mine is at, compared to his. And yeah, they should move the wing up like you said. I figured, if for some reason Carf stopped making the canopy for the older one, I'll just buy the new canopy frame, canopy, and the new cowl, turn my old dinosaur into an SP. Still am gonna paint it like your buddies full scale Extra. I did some digging and found a ton of pictures of his plane on some website. Am changing it up some, the blue will be a Bahama Blue Mica, it's a metallic blue with pearl in it, I already have a quart of that from Dupont. I will order the yellow with some pearl in it, the white will be pearl white, same with the red on the bottom of the wings. I hope your buddy doesn't mind.

19. Aug 15, 2013 #199

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

I think my FUTABA Scheme used the aft location.....

20. Aug 15, 2013 #200

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!

I think the stabs should be put in the nose, the rudder turned around, and put both wings on 1 side of the airplane. Talk about something that will tork roll!!