Mithy Assembles a CA Models Eclipse!! WOW!!!

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
I have had prolly 25 flights on this plane, and until my 2nd flight today, I struggled to enjoy this plane...

the final "Tweaks" were to get the CG back to the point just an RCH ahead of neutral stability, and I increased my low rate rudder to have the same deflection as high rate, but with something like 80% expo.... this really helped Stall Turns!! (As I didn't need to switch to high rate)

Now, I just have a very small amount of Adverse Roll with rudder... so I will P-Mix that... and then I think I will be ready to practice the advanced pattern sequence!!

Last edited:

BRUTUS

Plank Junky
Lifetime Supporter
Glad you are getting her dialed in- it can be a process!

Not to be pedantic, BUT you can't drop a class in IMAC. I flew Basic last year (I hadn't practiced all season, or even seen the aresti) and was effectively DQ'd when I got 3rd. I should have been flying Sportsman (really I should be in Intermediate) but I was there for the camaraderie, not the competition.

Anyways- it's too late now to worry about it!

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter

Not to be pedantic, BUT you can't drop a class in IMAC. I flew Basic last year (I hadn't practiced all season, or even seen the aresti) and was effectively DQ'd when I got 3rd. I should have been flying Sportsman (really I should be in Intermediate) but I was there for the camaraderie, not the competition.

not to be semantic (lol ;) )
but I meant the advanced "Pattern" sequence.....

he he he he

I competed in the intermediate twice last year... and did well enuff that I am gonna go for the next level up.... in pattern.. I think it is typically the largest class....

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!

You got DQ'd for flying in Basic??? WTF!!

BRUTUS

Plank Junky
Lifetime Supporter
I was totally sandbagging LOL... I just wanted to fly with the "cool kids" and not worry about the competition. It was the first time I had flown that plane all year, and I have a few other excuses lined up- but it was good to see the guys.

FWIW- I did get second in the freestyle out of 6 pilots...:crazy: So the trip was worth it for me!

Stu_D

Having a bash @ FPV now
I have had prolly 25 flights on this plane, and until my 2nd flight today, I struggled to enjoy this plane...

the final "Tweaks" were to get the CG back to the point just an RCH ahead of neutral stability, and I increased my low rate rudder to have the same deflection as high rate, but with something like 80% expo.... this really helped Stall Turns!! (As I didn't need to switch to high rate)

Now, I just have a very small amount of Adverse Roll with rudder... so I will P-Mix that... and then I think I will be ready to practice the advanced pattern sequence!!
I did the same thing about a 18 months ago , F3A seemed like something I would like to have another go at but after flying some of the sequences it was just ok , but the plane was fantastic . When I droped out of the pattern scene I was only @ Advanced level (with one transfer point ) .Well that was back in 2004 and since then it has been IMAC only . Having flown up to Advanced and a bit of Unlimited (IMAC) the F3A sequences felt a little slow paced for me but the precision was nice to have a go at . I may have another look later on this year but just having a semi pattern is enough to get me by for the moment .

I went a similar path as you but I just couldn't let go of my gas engines so a had a go @ a one off set up . Some of the traditional F3A flyers were not impressed but I could do both the PO & FO sequences with power to spare . This plane came in @ 5.1 Kg (now) and there is some more weight I could take off but as competition is not high on the agenda its not worth the effort at the moment .

There is a lot of enjoyment when people say you did what with a pattern plane ! Its only a DLE 30 on a cannister and there are no other tricks in the engine what so ever . Far to many people think this cant be done but its just not the case . The DLE 30 is the perfect engine for the job and most other attempts I have seen at doing gas pattern have ended in tears with the user saying its not as good as my YS 170 . Their right , its not as good as a YS 170 but its not far off either .

As you said the plane is a lot better than I will ever be so if having fun was my aim I think its right on target . With the Fantasy not being a pure pattern air frame it can do some nice free style and a bit of 3D (not my thing though) , so I seem to have the best of both worlds with this set up . Nice and cheep to run and a very nice plane as well .

Stu

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
I wish I had a Fantasy!!
it looks like an eclipse with big flippers!!

and the stab pushed forward.

Stu_D

Having a bash @ FPV now
Does great knife edge cubans . The FO sequence had a figure M witch has a 1/2 loop with integrated roll , I felt it looked better as a knife edge 1/2 loop with a pos snap at the botton . These big flippers will let the plane do anything .

Stu

BRUTUS

Plank Junky
Lifetime Supporter
Wow- still no takers? Such pretty plane... Know any pattern forums?:rolleyes2:

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
I have listed it in several places.... I just don't think anything is selling unless it is at pennies on the dollar

:(

BRUTUS

Plank Junky
Lifetime Supporter
Yes. For brand new gear, never flown but assembled you can get 60-70%. For slightly used gear 50%. For anything else- 40%...