LED night flying- On the cheap

Discussion in 'Install Articles & Guides' started by Revy, Sep 29, 2013.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating using the link above.
  1. Sep 29, 2013 #1

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

Led lighting on the cheap. Yup no need for the ultra expensive Aurora's. Well, I hope this will help anyone thinking of doing this but not willing to fork over that kinda cash. Especially, if you can solder some wire together.

The strip lighting that HobbyKing sells, plays tricks on your eyes, particularly the blue ones. They work, but it can get bothersome. Spot lighting makes it easier on the eyes, I find.

So I started with some SMD PCB LEDs from an 1157 that I took apart, but they were still on the "bulky" side. They worked awesome for my Giant Fusion, but overly big on smaller airframes, such as foamies.

I found a place on-line that sells automotive type accessory lighting for really good prices. I got the 1 watt T10 (peanut) LEDs from Fastech in really short order! Got here in 9 days. Impressed with them from the start when they sent me a picture of the package ready to ship. They have some other goodies I wanna get too.

http://www.fasttech.com/category/1211/car-decoration-lights-led-signal-light-bulbs

$5 delivered!!!

The wire I pulled out of an old DVID-HDMI cable stripped of its ends and outer jacket. There is a bunch of fine strand 20 sumthin' gauge wire in those types of cable, just need a bit of elbow grease to get to it. Snip the ends off, then with one little snip of the cutters at the end, the jacket will peel of. The shielded part will slide off if you bunch it up sliding it into itself (if you pull it just gets tighter).

Disassembled the T-10 and then protected the exposed wire and diodes from shorts with shrink tube. Had these 2.5 mm CF rod pieces left over (perfect height for my application) and epoxied them to the backs of the LED between the contacts. Made up some short (PITA) leads and soldered the wires and leads together. The connections for the lights are on a modified JST connection straight from the ESC/battery connector. If I don't need the lights on, I just unplug 'em.

Made room just in front of the CF spar on the LRC 32" EPP S'bach with the soldering iron and 5min epoxied the assembled units into place. Aimed them slightly towards the canopy. The wires tuck neatly into the spar slot on this bird too. I have used blendurm for the securing of these type wires before as well with good results.

These fuggers are bright! Definitely can be used on larger planes, just need to use longer lengths of CF at the tips with those little gear clips epoxied on to the rod as holders if you can't imbed them.:wink:

Attached Files:

2. Sep 29, 2013 #2

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

1157 segments on my GF...

Attached Files:

3. Sep 30, 2013 #3

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Circus Staff Lifetime Supporter

4. Sep 30, 2013 #4

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

Good thread! I want to do something like that for my 100cc Cubs!

5. Sep 30, 2013 #5

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

I was thinking of doin' the 29% using them. But I would try longer CF rods, but use those plastic rod holders epoxied to the rod, then you can just use a couple screws to attach 'em.

Kinda like this...

Attached Files:

6. Oct 21, 2013 #6

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

I got some more goodies on the way! Bumpin up the wattage cuz I'm bumpin up the size of plane I'll be tossin' them on! ;)

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1103509

These guys are great at shipping. Can't say enough how impressed I am with their CS so far!:thumbsup:

7. Oct 21, 2013 #7

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

You ought to submit this into the tech articles and write ups! Looking forward to your new bigger, better system!

8. Oct 21, 2013 #8

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

Uhmmm....

TeamFlyingCircus - Giant RC Plane Forum > Giant Scale RC Plane Forums > Install Articles & Guides > LED night flying- On the cheap

LOL

Part of that submission thing I forfeited right off the bat. In a continuation of one of my replies at the Pro-Bro site, I pretty much posted a carbon copy there too therefore exclusive ownership on TFC's part was nullified, imo. I don't need a free membership, just want to help out when and where I can. Just some Hill-billy custom creations, lol!

This next bit is all TFC though...gonna use some 3mm tube for the posts to hide the wire. ;)

9. Oct 21, 2013 #9

red7fifty

red7fifty

red7fifty

BadAss Member

F'n Cool How To!
    :prrr:

10. Oct 22, 2013 #10

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

Oh, the 1 watt foamie lights werk awesome, btw! I wish my seven year old could use a video camera in the dark. I was very comfortable with that Light R/C foamy. You don't get the blurriness as you do with the strip lights. Blue is the worst for that.

11. Nov 17, 2013 #11

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

Those lil 1 watt lights are nothing compared to these 10 watt jobs! $3 US each from Fasttech again.

On 12v, looking at the sun doesn't hurt like that! You know the spot o' white ya see after a brief encounter with that burning ball...well same with this, just lasts a bit longer! I sh!t you not when I say I can still see the nine elements the next morning when I rub my eyes.:crazy:

7.4v 2S pack will light one up nicely. As for mAh for all four, IDK yet. One of these can light up a room and judging from initial looks on a fuse...30-40%'ers can use these! Gonna rig sumthin' up for someone at that size. At 5 grams each, I bet the plane won't really notice the extra weight, even better by not using a 3S. ;)

Attached Files:

jon595 likes this.
  12. Nov 17, 2013 #12

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

^^^ One element vs 10 of the typical LED SMD ones for size reference.

13. Dec 28, 2014 #13

oh2b1950

oh2b1950

oh2b1950

Please remove this thread regarding the building of this LED light kit. You are infringing on Aurora RC's patent. If you need to discuss further you can contact the patent attorney upon request Thank you.

14. Dec 28, 2014 #14

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member Admin

Please post the actual patent, patent drawing, patent number, and date patent was granted along with the granting authority. I seriously doubt there is a patent applicable to an assembly of off the self parts where each component already has it's own exclusive patent. Even if there was once a patent has been awarded and published the technical aspects of the patent became public record. If not for sale anyone can make for personal use pretty much anything they want.

Nice way to start your membership, by making a demand. I think you can tell it went over rather well...

15. Dec 29, 2014 #15

oh2b1950

oh2b1950

oh2b1950

Seems like you have all the answers. Look who is making all the demands. Maybe you're the inventor too! Wont bother responding any more and wasting more time. Good Luck !

16. Dec 29, 2014 #16

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member Admin

Nope, just a moderator that looks out for the people that participate on the site, and the site itself. You mentioned a patent infringement but you provided no information to substantiate your claim. Shorter version is you accused without proof. You're the new guy, the person accused is a long time, well respected member. Make your case or shut up and retract your claim.

17. Dec 29, 2014 #17

oh2b1950

oh2b1950

oh2b1950

This has nothing to do with respect or how long someone has been a member.I think you need to look up the definition of moderator. You have been nothing short of rude. Will do one step better send your name and mailing address and will have the patent attorney send the information directly to you .

18. Dec 29, 2014 #18

psycho-patch

psycho-patch

psycho-patch

If this is such a stress to you, all you need to do is post your patent number right here and we can all look it up on the USPTO Database. Its that simple.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  19. Dec 29, 2014 #19

psycho-patch

psycho-patch

psycho-patch

20. Dec 29, 2014 #20

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Aurora rc does not own jack chit. Did they design the leds? Did they come up with some proprietary software to run these leds? Did they in fact copy the dozens of chinese led light manufacturers?

Posting in this forum to intimidate open source users from designing and building their own design led systems is not doing aurora rc any favors. Ive seen the kits they send out, and they are NOT user friendly at all. If they had pre-assembled wire harnesses then they would be worth it. Buy sending out a 200 piece "kit" that needs assembly of dozens of tiny parts for the money they are asking is...

While the new guy (or girl) is whining you might as well start harassing hobby king.